It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey Everybody.

I've been stalking around this site since I realized I was addicted to opiates and wanted to take suboxone to get off. I was on heroin for a year. Last month my boyfriend and I got prescriptions from the clinic for suboxone. I ended up telling my family everything and they've been giving me the best support anyone could ask for. It's made the whole process much easier. I decided to educate myself a little more on suboxone with forums like these because I didn't want to go through another addiction.

So I was on suboxone for 3 weeks when I decided to stop. I started at 2 mg daily and began tapering every 3-4 days. I got it down somewhere below .25 when I stopped, and the withdrawals were minimal. In fact, the tapering was harder than not having it at all. The thing is, the insomnia hasn't let up. The only thing that seems to help is Aleve PM with Magnesium vitamins. I get about 2 hours of sleep before I wake up, lay around for a few hours trying to sleep more, and decide to take more. I don't want to be doing this with the Aleve because it can damage your liver. I'm taking it mainly because I have RLS still. I'd be fine with all of it if I didn't have to work an 8-5 shift on weekdays. It's made me a zombie at work. I'm actually very thankful that it wasn't as severe for me as it is with some of the stories I read. I've also had virtually no cravings, which is a HUGE blessing. I haven't slept properly for a week. I'm wondering if anyone can gander when I'll get back to normal?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:36 pm 

Hi grimthe0ry,

Insomnia is probably the biggest complaint we get when a member is stopping the Suboxone treatment. There is no easy answer to this one. Some will recommend Ambien or Lunesta and others say to stay away from those. You'll read that some got scripts for valium or xanax to help but that is a slippery slope trying to not get addicted to those.

And I'm not sure how long it will last in your case. We've heard of 9 months w/o getting more than 3-4 hours sleep. I forget how long it took that person to sleep normally for 7-8 hours.

Hot baths before bed, nose strips that help open the airways, melatonin, and other OTC meds they recommend. Be wary of some drug claims, all they contain the same drug as Benedryl so real the package.

That's about it for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi grim

From what I read and hear,sleeping is the last to return. iMO,9 months is unusual. You are also detoxing the opiates that led you to sub

So here are a couple things I have heard about. Take a hot bath with Epsom salts
They have magnesium in them. Tylenol PM. We can get just the sleep meds without Tylenol. As rule said, melatonin has worked for many people.

Worse case you may have to go to the doctor, trazadone and clondidne are useful for sleep. You have to be very careful with clondidne. It can drop your BP to low. I will write tomorrow. This iPad is driving me nuts lol

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It took me a long time to get back to normal sleep but one thing I strongly believe is that we are also in such a habit from having had taken the medications and then being able to sleep that it became our norm. Mentally that is what we were used to. Then once we stop and are going through withdrawal our norm becomes not being able to sleep and either becoming anxious or worried when it becomes time to sleep. That almost becomes a habit and it isn't until we can break that and just lay down for bed without thinking about "how long will it take me to sleep tonight?" that we can truly get back to normal.

I would almost get depressed every time it was getting late because I was so worried I wouldn't be able to sleep. Then eventually I realized it's ok and if I can't sleep then I will just get up and watch tv or read a book and not try to force myself to lay there and get anxious. Eventually you just forget that trying to sleep is an issue and things return to normal. It is great that you aren't having cravings though and I'm sure you will be back to normal in no time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I am weaning off Suboxone after being on it two years. I am currently taking only .12mg every 12 hours. I have cut the 2 mg films into small pieces so to get down to lowest dose possible. Even at this low dose, I can feel withdrawals if I go too long. I saw my doctor today and she said to not go any lower, but to stretch out the hours every week for SIX more weeks. This seems like a long time to me.
Also, I am taking Wellbrutin an antidepressant for dopamine replacement. My question is; Isn't the Wellbutrin keeping my brain in the grips of addiction rather than allowing my natural endorphins to begin being produced? I don't want to prolong this process any more than necessary. I have given lexapro for sleep and it helps a bit. I have been given Ativan to help with the leg shaking and nervous anxiety of withdrawal.
I real am questioning my Doctor and this combination of medication.
I don't feel very bad at this time, but mostly brain fog, lack of motivation and general blahs.......
I so Very much want my brain system to work naturally again ASAP.
I have no joy, no sex drive, no enjoyment from life. Does anyone have experience with antidepressants in combination with Suboxone?
Thank you for your time and energy to help us all live better healthier lives, Dr J.

Bornred, July, 15, 2015

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Grimthe0ry,

One thing you need to watch out for is the ingredient in Benedryl and other sleep aids (Di-something). It gives me bad RLS, just compounding the RLS from withdrawals.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have found that Wellbrutin , the antidepressant helps with the leg cramps. I have a neuorlogical problem in my left foot and leg and while not using Wellbrutin I will have leg cramps most every night. I don't know why this helps but it does. I also use Aspercreme to massage my mucsles. I use Lexapro and Mellatonin at night and sleep pretty good. I hope this someone else to get beyond Suboxone. I am at .25 mgs every 16 hours. Still have trouble wIth needing that next dose. Dr says to wean off with changes no more often than once a week. OMG, that seems like forever right now.
I am going for more exercise to rebuild the natural endorphins and a rush of oxygen to my brain.
God bless everyone that is trying to improve their lives.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ask your Dr. about Trazodone. It helps with sleep and is non-habit forming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for the info on Trazadone.
I am already taking Lexapro for sleep.
My Dr gave me Ativan to help the withdrawal, but I still can't make myself go more than
24 hrs. It is because I live alone and get very depressed. Can't seem to talk myself through the entire process without taking another dose. I am now asking for professional help from a hospital.
Will have to wait and see what happens in the day or two.
I hate being addicted to anything.
I love the Victor Frankel quote.
Thanks again.
Bornred.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there,

I feel your pain! I'm like you,alot like others on here too. I was on percocet for about 3 years. I was trying to stop for about the past 8 months with the help of suboxone 8mg/2mg I would take an 1/8 nibble of the tab twice a day and be totally fine. Well now I'm out and waited to long to go to the doctor, so he won't prescribe me anymore. Its been almost 2 weeks that I've had any. The first 3 days seemed fine for me then the 3rd/4th day I felt pretty tired and lethargic like I was going through opiate withdrawal. That's tolerable but the RLS and feeling like I want to jump out of my skin at night was highly unbearable that started bout 5 days after. Couldn't sleep maybe off and on 2 hrs, turned highly grumpy, could barely work because I have a physical labor job. Its now going on day 13. The RLS or full body restlesness has subsided a good amount. Thank god because I wanted to die, but still there a little bit. I take a sleep melatonin drink and it helps, I've also started hot yoga, since I've started that after 2 times I feel better most of the time. So the best thing for you is to do some type of sweat producing workout activity, oh and also try doing green smoothies helps detox faster. I still feel half of what I was before I started this opiate hell 3 years ago, I'm not sure if I'll ever feel back to how I was or not but it's a slow process, mostly mentally. So whatever you do try to get off suboxone sooner than later :]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I weaned slowly off subs 18 months ago.
(Yes, you can do it!)
Here's what I experienced and did to stop the problems I encountered.

When I got below 4mg a day of subs, chemical depression started… a typical side effect.
My doc put me on Remeron for depression.
In hindsight a new antidepressant like zoloft would have been better, because now I have to wean off of remeron, which is a SLOW process. I can tell that I probably don't need it anymore and the slow reduction has not created issues.

When I stopped subs I ended up with RLS and insomnia.
I took Gabatrol and potassium (both over the counter) for the RLS and they worked well.
My doctor prescribed clonidine but I didn't take it.

I was prescribed Lunesta for sleep. (Doc refused to give me ambien after DEA cracked down on it.) I took 2mg to sleep, and had to take another .5mg when I woke up in the middle of the night.
18 months later I take 1mg to sleep and most nights don't need any more.
I haven't tried sleeping without it regularly, but when I forget to take it, I sleep lightly.
That might be due to taking it for so long now.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

30 days ago I jumped from 16 mg ct. I tried melatonin and sleepy time tea. Hot baths before bed. It was such a joke. I would take 3 to 4 hot showers a night and got little to no sleep.

Asked my family doc what I could take for sleep. He said melatonin. I laughed said id been using that at 3 times the reccomeded dose to no avail.

He had started me on low dose wellbutrin and doubled it cause I didn't feel any diff. I asked will this help with sleep? He said give it one week at the double dose first then sent me home with a script for ambien if that didn't help.

The ambien works for 3 to 4 hrs then I'm wide awake. Even tried a couple drinks then ambien, same result. Even tried doubling the ambien same results.

So after 30 nights of hell I finally got my hands on some xanax. I fell asleep without meaning to as soon as I hit my bed. What a relief after so many nights of waiting to drift off. Last night I just did.

Some say don't use benzos cause they're addicting themselves, or use only for a short time during the worst first week. But its nowhere near over by then, and you are going to feel the pain after no matter what.

I have been prescribed benzos off and on since I was 8 years old. I've had doctors offering more and more ativan if I needed it before. When I found out people use them to get high I couldn't understand why. They calm me and make me sleepy not a high in any way.

I rather take benzos any day over any opiate. They don't suck your soul in the same way, don't numb you to half the person you were before.

I for one am grateful for the substanial relief they are providing me. Don't hesitate to ask a dr or psych about them, especially if you have issues for anxiety. Lots of people I know take them long term every day because that's what their docs deem best.

Belive the horror stories about opiates, but don't bash benzos. They are widely prescribed for anxiety disorders and can be just the relief you need now and possibly long term.

Just my opinion and my experience. Not the same for everone I understand.