It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Century Gothic] [/font] I have been in a Sub. program for almost 10 months now, so I should know the answer to my own question, but I don't. I am now taking Sub Films, and they dissolve super quick, but I have a massive pool of saliva in my mouth with a mediciney taste. I have asked my doctor numerous times how long I need to keep the spit in my mouth, but she comes up with these off the wall answers that have nothing to do with the question, like telling me to drink orange soda before I place the strip in my mouth..wtf?!. But anyways. Ill put the strip in my mouth, after a minute or two it's dissolved, and I don't know when to swallow since the taste doesn't go away. Alot of times I get bad headaches and an upset stomach when the taste is really strong, but it's always strong, even if I leave the spit in my mouth for 30 minutes. If anyone has any advice, I don't know if I am doing something wrong, maybe with placement or whatnot, but I'll appreciate any advice I can get! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:18 pm 
I feel your frustration on this subject, I always feel that Im loosing so much because of all the damn saliva build up it realy angers me. When i dose I keep it all under my tongue for 30 minutes without swallowing. The reason for 30 minutes is Dr. Junig said that it takes around 15 minutes for suboxone to absorb and then wait another 15 minutes without eating or drinking so the leftover bupe can dissolve, so i just keep it in that extra 15 mins for good measure since I want to get every last bit out of my dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Century Gothic] [/font] Thank you so much. I haven't been able to get a sensible answer from anyone since I started the program. Next dose, I will do that. I always keep the spit in my mouth for awhile, but as soon as I swallow I want to drink something to get that taste out of my mouth, which never goes away, so maybe I need to wait before I sip on my soda.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:32 pm 
Hey Kim!!

The only thing i know that does help 'sometimes' is if you can wait until your mouth is really dry. Like, when i take mine, i take it literally right when i wake up before i eat or drink anything. The only difference with you and i is i take subutex because im allergic to the artificial sweetner in suboxone. I personally havent ever tried the stips. Anyways, I use a method that im not sure people will agree with but i have a huge problem with saliva build up. Im talking a mouth full of spit within 5 minutes after putting it under my tongue. So, i've had to resort to another method. I do wanna say this before i speak of my method. I dont know if the way i do it will work with the stips only because i've never seen them and i dont know what exactly happens to them as they dissolve. Anyways, i break the tablet into 4 pieces, or possibly the stip. I get a medicine bottle top or any kind of cap off a bottle or something. Or, if it isnt a trigger for you, you could use a spoon. Please dont take that the wrong way. So, you put the 4 pieces of tablet into the cap, spoon or whatever and spit just enough saliva onto the tablet so that it will dissolve. You take a butter knife and stir it around/mix it around to kinda speed up the dissolving process. It usually takes about 5 minutes to completely dissolve if you keep mashing and stirring with the tip of the butter knife. Once its dissolved it will turn into a thick sticky paste, that is as long as you dont use too much spit. Once its all dissolved and you've stirred it around and got it mixed evenly, you dip the paste up with the tip of the butter knife and pull it through your lips all the while spreading/painting it everywhere in your mouth. For me, i usually get it to absorb into the roof of my mouth and all over my gums/inner part of your lips. The only thing is and this is hard too explain, after i've spread it all out in my mouth you have to keep moving your tongue around kinda pressing onto the roof of your mouth as if you are continuely smacking and everywhere else to keep the amount of saliva at a minimum. Cuz after you do this, your mouth will continue to water up for about 30 minutes. If this does turn out to be something you do, you have to learn how to swallow without swallowing any of the medicine or the spit. But, if you do it right their want really be any spit to swallow.I realykinda held back speaking about this method because its almost impossible to explain and to some, it may sound like some form of abuse but its not. Its basically doing the same thing Dr. J talks about in maximum absorption except instead of biting it with your teeth and spreading out the solution, this method you actually make the solution before you put it into your mouth. Its so easy and allows you to literally absorb every single speck of the medicine but its something that would probably only be understood if i showed someone in person. However, i figured i would try my best to explain it so if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me. I hope this helps. Again im not sure how the strips look and if you can do this with them or not but im thinking you should be able too. ~PEACE~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:55 pm 
LOL forgive my spelling error. *strips* is what i meant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suggestions for helping your mouth not produce as much saliva when you dose:

*Rinse your mouth out with salt water before you dose

*Rinse your mouth out with strong mouthwash before dosing

Both of those seem to help me quite a bit.

Also, for those who don't like the taste, consider putting a tic/tac breath mint under your tongue along with the suboxone, it helps to dull the nasty flavor a little bit.

As for duration in the mouth, I don't think 30 minutes is really necessary as most of the documentation available online and from anecdotes here on this forum, it seems that about 20 minutes is sufficient. You can spit it out after that if you are getting headaches, because the Nalaxone you are swallowing is known to cause that side effect and it does NOTHING to help you. It's only in the suboxone to discourage IV use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 am 
Hey everyone!!

If you can ever figure out how to do the method that i use, you will be so pleased. You dont have to sit for 30 minutes not being able to talk, mouth filling up with spit etc. It only takes about 10 minutes and strangely enough, you feel relief much much faster. Also, with this method you literally absorb every single bit of the medication. You would be very impressed at how much more effective it is when you are able to absorb all of the tablet/strip. I will say this though, if you are able to do this method i've described, you will see this medication is very strong and effective. Another huge reason i chose this method is, i know im absorbing the exact same amount everytime. Anyways, hope this helps. If your not comfortable with this, then please DONT DO IT. Im not trying to tell you to do something your not comfortable with. Just trying to help is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't really have this problem much but there are times my mouth fills up so bad and I try not to swollow but do end up swollowing a little at a time then spit. It takes about 7-10minutes for my sub{pill} to disolve then I try to keep the spit in my mouth for about 5 more minutes then I usually spit if I am some where I can. I think holding it your mouth for 30 extra minutes may be a little excessive.

Lifesaver- I am going to try it your way when I take my 2nd dose in a few hours I'm very interested to see how it works. I will let u guys know.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 pm 
No matter what I do I cant seem to find anything that makes me not salivate excessively the instant the sub is put under my tongue, its rather annoying. Ive tried gargling salt water and I use mouthwash every time I dose but more for increased absorbtion rather than to cut down on saliva. If you have the film the best method I have found is almost exactly the same as what life saver described, put the film on top of the very tip of your tongue and wait until it gets soft and then do what Dr. Junig describes painting it all over the inside of your cheeks. This way keeps all the medicine out of the large pool of saliva that forms under the tongue. With the film I realy think putting it on top of your tongue is so much better, it takes a little longer to dissolve but it stays in contact with your membranes and doesnt get washed away by spit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:59 pm 
I promise yall, if you can get the method i've descibed down pat you will be extremely pleased with the results. Its really not hard once you get the hang of it. I was just sitting around one day thinking to myself that their just had to be a easier/better way to take this medication. And definitely had to be a more accurate way. The only thing that you need to make sure of is not to put to much spit or you'll end up with it too liquidy. Just spit little bits at a time until you figure out exactly how much it takes. You need just enough for it too all be dissolved. It will turn into a paste. Then you can dip little bits at a time onto the tip of a butter knife and basically pull it through your top and bottom lip and be spreading/painting it with your tongue as soon as it hits your lips. I wish so badly i could show this because its very easy but it does take a bit of practice so that you dont let too much spit build up in your mouth. Like i said previously, once you've got it all spread out you just keep moving your tongue around, mashing it into the roof of your mouth as if your continuesly smacking. Another way to describe that part is, you have to keep moving your tongue around to keep spreading the spit that does build up around so that any spit that builds up is spread out as well. Another thing, i personally use a spoon because its a nice clean surface and it will stay in one spot but i said a cap of some sort because i didnt want a spoon to be a trigger for anybody. Anyways, i just know this will bring people a lot of relief when it comes to absorption. I will say it took me a couple times before i perfected it. Like i said, you dont have to sit their not being able to talk forever and with a mouth full of spit. Its just very convenient also because its only about a 10 minute process once you get the hang of it. Make sure its completely stirred around and dissolved. It will be sticky also which helps it stick to the inside of your mouth. I know i've kinda repeated a lot of what i've already posted but i was just tryin to explain it a little better. Hope this helps. It was the answer to all my problems in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:34 am 
Why not just drop a few drops of water into a spoon instead of spitting into a spoon and stirring up a nasty sub/spit concoction lol, it would work the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Try brushing your teeth AND especially your tongue before taking the pill/film. Give it a couple minutes after brushing before you put the pill in your mouth. I had the problem before I did this where I literally couldn't keep my lips closed together because of excess saliva, but for some reason, brushing my teeth keeps the saliva to a minimum. As for how long, I swish it around for 20 minutes, then swallow the excess spit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:40 am 
suboxoned:

Its because when i did it with the water it didnt turn out thick enough. It was way too liquidy. With spit, it turns out thick and sticky so that its a higher concentration and it sticks to the inside of your mouth easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I usually like to give a tap on the head for warning. Then swallowing is easy and expected.

(duh duh duh) Drum beat. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i dont swallow i spit out all that nalaxone i dont want!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Honestly I have found that putting the flim in my mouth in the early morning works the best. I wake up and need to use the bathroom around 6-7am..maybe 8...I then put the film in my mouth and go fall back asleep. I wake up feeling great. Laying flat on your back obviously helps. I find that this method is the best because I'm asleep instead of sitting there thinking about this nasty taste in my mouth and waiting for it to dissolve. When you fall asleep like this your mouth(usually) will stay still and you will collect less saliva, giving you the full benefit of the Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

dreaminDM wrote:
Honestly I have found that putting the flim in my mouth in the early morning works the best. I wake up and need to use the bathroom around 6-7am..maybe 8...I then put the film in my mouth and go fall back asleep. I wake up feeling great.

I've done this before, especially when I've had metabolism issues. I dunno if it made me feel "great" or nothing but it helped relieve the issue of me waking up in withdrawals in the morning.

Most people I know keep their Suboxone in their mouth a while... around 30 mins, even more. It's because people wanna get as much bang for their buck... it's not much different to the illegal drugs in that regard. Even where I'm from where people don't need to pay more for higher doses... keep it in their mouth for ages.

Has anyone considered keeping it in their mouth for shorter periods to help them taper their dose? ie absorb less might help the taper process.

Post subject: First Post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 pm 

Hi DreaminDM,

I see this is your first post here on the forum. Why don't you start a thread in the Introductions section so we can all get to know you?

As far as the film goes, I don't even think about it. I put a film under my tongue and life goes on. What I try to do is not eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after dosing.

You sure pulled up an old post!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Rule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Leave under tungue for 10-15 minutes..swish sub spit all over mouth coat gums and then swallow.dont spit. I have done both, you have mucus membrains in your throat and you want to coat as many as possible. Then dont eat or drink for 15-20 mins

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

It's very back and fourth with me, I have work in the morning so right when I wake up I take my first dose, and keep it under my tongue for 30 min, but in the afternoon it's more of a problem and my mouth is full after 15 min, so let me get this right, even if I keep the spit in my mouth for 30 min, the bigger the build up of salvia the less sub is actually getting in my system?