It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: how long is too long?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anyone know how long you should be on suboxone? Also, what is the longest time known that someone has been on it? I myself have been on for 17 months and I'm now at 8mg/day,which I take one quarter at a time. So thru out the day I'm taking 2mg four times daily. I don't know why, but if I take the whole 8mg pill at once I get anxious,almost to the point of having panic attacks. I'm sure it's all a head game though. The first doc that put me on told me I would have to be on it for the rest of my life,due to the fact that I had been addicted to opiates for over 10 years. I stopped going to him once I realized he was just in it for the money(he never even saw you, you would just go in,pay your $40.00 and get a script for seven 8mg pills.) He gave the same amount to everyone,no matter if the dose wasn't the right amount for that person! The doc I see now I've been going to for the last 17 months and he started me at 12mg/day. I told him I didn't think 8mg was quite enough for me. Also, this doc started weaning me 5 months ago after he told me,pretty much, that" you know you can't take this the rest of your life?" So, in conclusion, I just wanted to hear somebody else's thoughts or experience with this question. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My doctor thinks people should take it for as long as they feel like they need it. Unfortunately, my insurance company disagreed - they say only 12 months. Somehow they accidentally approved me for an extra 6 months, so I had extra time to get ready to taper off. I felt ready to do the taper when the time came, but if I hadn't, I would have stayed on and just paid for the meds. I was on Sub for 22 months total.

I think each person is different. I have read of people on other forums who have been on Sub since it was first approved and are doing great. Other people want to give life a try without it. If I had felt or thought that I would go right back to using, there is no way I would have tapered off Suboxone. I worked hard while I was on Sub to change my life and the way that I think, and so far things are going well. If my life explodes and I become obsessed with getting and using opiates again, I will not hesitate to go right back on Suboxone.

We all have to figure it out for ourselves I suppose. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about your concerns. If he's not willing to talk with you about it and individualize a plan that you are comfortable with, you might want to change docs again. It's your recovery - and as far as I know there's no reason why you can't take Sub long-term if that's what works for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I too agree that it depends on the person. I have been on suboxone this time for 2 years and haven't made any plans on getting off of it. I have abused opiates close to 10 years. I have been through 4 rehabs and a number of outpatient programs and I still wasn't able to stay clean until I started suboxone. I have some hope in my life now. I don't look at this medication as a miracle but it treats the symptoms of my disease.
I have a friend who has been on this medicine for close to 5 years and it has worked for them. I have a wonderful understanding doctor who isn't just in it for the money.I am very grateful for that. Good luck to your transition and Im glad that you know if you need the drug you will consider going back on it. Isn't it wonderful to have that option.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

well i am a newbie here but not to suboxone.i was ine of the first in the area to get on it. have been faithful now for 5yrs. the more i read the more i hate myself for ever doing opiates in the first place. i should have listened to my mother when i had the chance.but my DR. say's the same it depends on the person. i am on 2mg/day. i have tapered from 12mg day to this over 5 yrs. i tried to go fast at first,thought i could do it but the WD came back meaner than before and with a vingence.so i took my time and here i am noe,just 2mg a day,you would think you could stop that,i take nothing else and never have like xanax etc. i am from tennessee and believe that if you want it bad enough you will get what you want.i am also writing a book on my struggles of opiates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Every doctor has different personal feelings on what is the appropriate time frame one should be in Suboxone Maintenance Treatment. Research shows that long term recovery is more prevalent in individuals that utilize their Suboxone long term with a recovery oriented support system such as 12 step groups, addiction education, or other forms of addiction support (SMART, LifeRing,etc) New types of support are emerging because of the advancements in addiction recovery.
Basically each case is different based on the physician.The first doctor I went to wanted his patients tapering within a year.The next doctor did not put a time limit on my treatment. If you do not agree with your doctor's protocol, you always have the option to find a new one more suitable.
In my opinion the most important thing is living life free of opiate addiction while learning how to live life without the addictive nature being a monkey on your back.The only way to do that is by learning how to change the addictive thinking through education and/or support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

excuse the bad punctuation! i get very impatient when i type. i was abusing any and all opiates for about 5 years when i started using subs. i started on them after an in-patient 30 day treatment program. i have been on suboxone for about 5 years now. i cant remember what mg. i started at but i did get all the way down to less than a quarter of 8mg pill about 2 years ago. now im back up to 1 8mg. pill a day but the increase is cuz of rhematoid arthritis and my doc telling me that it does help with the pain. i dont really know if it does but "i think" it does. anyway-i am comfortable with this. it works for me and i have no problem staying on it forever if it keeps me from using. i was just asked by my doctor the other day "do u think of stopping the medication?" the truth is i dont think about it, i dont worry about it. i really dont believe i could ever be clean on my own. i think it is possible for some and i understand the "want" to be free from any and all medication but why risk it if a small amount of medication each day can save ur life and were all able to function normally??? u have to decide what is best for u based on ur experiences and ur beliefs-these r mine. p.s.-u might want to start researching other doctors now if u already know ur current doc wants to take u off the subs. there is one out there somewhere that will let u make ur own decisions on the matter.

Post subject: its up to you!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started at 12mg in 2005 and am now almost done. i am at .75mg per day and making that final jump in about 2 days and there is no turning back as i have no more sub and am not going back to the doc. is 4 years too long, maybe for some, not for others. My doc is adamant that one can be on sub forever. There was not one talk about getting off it in my 4.5 years on it unless i initiated the conversation. To some degree i understand his premise, if your not on opiates then isn't it still a success? Could be argued either way. I say this, I don't regret staying on it this long. it worked for me. i was on 2mg a day for over a year and half, I've done about a 3 month taper to get off. So the decision is up to the person. I feel confident that i will never be addicted to opiates again, but could i have said that 1 year ago, 2 years ago, maybe not. So only you know when the time is right. please see some of my other post for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was taking Xanax and my physician strictly told me that I should take this more than the dosage he has prescribed and even I should stop it without consulting. You can get addicted to it if you take it in more quantity then that is prescribed, so just go for the consultation on what you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm 46 years old and I have abused opiates HEAVILY since I was about 17 years old, the first time I shot up heroin I was 14. I have been on suboxone for about a year and a half and I have no plans of coming off it. Ever.

My doctor has already told me that if my insurance company gets stupid with the coverage for any reason, he will change my suboxone prescription to be for my HepC pain and declare it "medically necessary" and that will take care of that.

Yes, it does depend on the individual. I believe, as my doctor believes, that once you've abused opiates for as many years as I have abused opiates, you have altered the chemistry in your brain to a point where you are unlikely to ever be able to function normally again without those receptors being filled.

That statistics on the likelihood of long-term abstinence are clear: A person like me as a -5% chance of staying clean. With HepC already slowly killing me, I don't need to help it along any by relapsing. So I have no problem staying on Suboxone.

That's my take on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I got on Suboxone in October 2003 (6 1/2 years ago, I think, my math sucks). I started at 24 mg and am currently on 3 mg per day. I to abused opiates, mostly H, for about 10 years prior. My doc and I are on the same page as far as staying on it. He never tells me I will be on for life nor dose he give me a time frame for weening off, we just take it month to month. Sometimes I feel I want to be done with it already then other times I want to stay on forever. I try to not push or talk about what I want with my doc but rather figure out what I need. As of now I still need to be on Suboxone, I know myself too well and I know this med is vital to me staying clean. I guess some could argue that I'm not sober and still opiate dependant but who cares, I'm happy and alive. Again, try to figure out what you need not what you want and your decision for the duration of suboxone will be easier.