It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How long is too long??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, I'm not really sure its first time. But i was hoping to get some opinions on how long you can stay on suboxone. How long did you stay on? or any side effects of being on for X amount of time? I was on for 7 months but tapered my self off, went thru the hell of W/D and ended up relapsing shortly after. i am going to go back on suboxone but don't know how long i can stay on before it becomes a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Greetings, H-slave.

I think your question mostly, is up to each person, for all sorts of different reasons. Ive been on suboxone, for almost 16 months. and I really dont have any issues, so Im not planning on jumping off anytime soon.

For some ppl, they do experience side effects. Some ppl, didnt that 'bad' of an opiate addiction to begin with. Also some people, (me for one) have legitimate pain issues, and when there is addiction in the mix, its unfortunate, that you KNOW you wont ever be taking a 'normal' pain med again. At least, thats how I look at it. For now, suboxone is working just fine for me. I get along well with my doctor, who believes in long term maintenance, unless the patient does want to taper, and has everything 'in place' to do so.

Thats my opinion about it. Buprenorphine, has been around a long time. mostly used in small doses, VERY small, that Ive read about. Many people ask this question. I havent personally heard of any 'long term effects' and I think most of the 'ideas' around, are more to do with all the drugs we did BEFORE the suboxone, and not the suboxone, itself.

well, I hope I helped a little.
feel free to ask any more questions you have.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi H-slave and welcome to the forum. I've been on suboxone for over 3.5 years. Like Amber said, it really varies from person to person and what their unique needs are. What I mean by that is what their active addiction what like, how badly it destroyed their life, if they are a chronic relapser...that kind of thing. For people that have been in active addiction and back and forth between relapses and addiction, it's possible that lifetime maintenance might be the best thing for them, whereas someone who used for only one year and addressed all their issues during their time on sub, attended addiction counseling, learned their triggers and how to deal with cravings, they might do OK tapering off in less time. These are just examples and don't necessarily apply to everyone.

You have to decide for yourself, possibly with your doctor or even your significant other or your family, what you need. You can decide that you want to be back on it for awhile. You don't have to decide to be on it for life right now. You can decide that any time later. The choices aren't only to taper off or stay on it for life...there is plenty of grey area in between.

In my opinion, I'd suggest that for now you go back on suboxone and try to get your shit together, but for now don't even worry about how long to stay on it. You can always address that in several months from now, when you're feeling better and more clear-headed. Again, just my opinion.

I wish you luck going back on sub treatment. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Again, welcome. Hope to see you around the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:43 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I agree with the above. when its too long youll know. I have been on sub for about 3 years (4mg/day for the last year) and it has been good to me. I dont think there is any time limit. Many have (are) been on maintanence alot longer. I have noticed within the last year that I always wakeup feeling like crap until I dose. been smooth sailing except for that. I (and my spouse) am ready for a change though and plan on getting the Ibogaine treatment next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

amber4.14.11 wrote:
Greetings, H-slave.

I think your question mostly, is up to each person, for all sorts of different reasons. Ive been on suboxone, for almost 16 months. and I really dont have any issues, so Im not planning on jumping off anytime soon.

For some ppl, they do experience side effects. Some ppl, didnt that 'bad' of an opiate addiction to begin with. Also some people, (me for one) have legitimate pain issues, and when there is addiction in the mix, its unfortunate, that you KNOW you wont ever be taking a 'normal' pain med again. At least, thats how I look at it. For now, suboxone is working just fine for me. I get along well with my doctor, who believes in long term maintenance, unless the patient does want to taper, and has everything 'in place' to do so.

Thats my opinion about it. Buprenorphine, has been around a long time. mostly used in small doses, VERY small, that Ive read about. Many people ask this question. I havent personally heard of any 'long term effects' and I think most of the 'ideas' around, are more to do with all the drugs we did BEFORE the suboxone, and not the suboxone, itself.

well, I hope I helped a little.
feel free to ask any more questions you have.

If its possible for someone to take the words right out of my mouth....then Amber just did that! I can't think of another thing that I would add....Great post and well said.