It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: how long
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hi i am taking sub twice a day after a 6 year addiction with pain pills. ask doc to put me on sub and he did but he dosent no how long to keep me on it and when too start lowering dose. could use all the help i can get with this, we both could

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello doorchain and welcome to what I think is a great forum with terrific people. I hope you find as much support here as I have.

Everyone is different, so when it comes to how long to stay on sub and at what dose, it really does depend. Six years is a long time. The way I see it, before you can start tapering off sub, you need to relearn how to live life without drugs. Learn new coping skills, how to deal with triggers and cravings, etc. Also, for some people (like me), I used drugs to numb feelings related to past traumas, so for me I really need to deal with not only the traumas, but also how to live with uncomfortable feelings. This is why for many of us therapy is a good adjunct to sub treatment.

You developed bad habits and poor coping skills that you used for a really long time. It's my opinion that it will take a while to develop new, good habits. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to come off just yet, especially if you just started. (When did you start?) Give yourself time to strengthen your self esteem and confidence, to build a healthy and sane lifestyle, to learn to be happy.

I don't know if this helps at all, but it's how I see it. Again, welcome to the forum. Maybe when you're comfortable you can tell us more about you. I hope you stick around and keep posting.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: re how long
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

doorchain here just wanted to say thanke for the info and i can relate! started sub 8-16-10 where do i post my story if anyone wants too hear it

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there -

Feel free to post your story right here in this thread or under "introductions" or "my addiction story". Looking forward to learning more from you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Hi doorchain! I wan't to welcome you too, and encourage you to post more about yourself as Hatmaker suggested. She has already given you some good advice about how long to plan to stay on Suboxone. As she said, everyone is different. I will add that I believe I read somewhere in Dr. Junig's writings that using Suboxone for anything less than 6months to a year, leaves a very high risk of relapse very shortly after stopping the medication. I can tell you from my own experience that I originally thought 6 months would be long enough and then discovered that indeed it was not nearly long enough. I have now passed the one year mark and am in the process now of trying to finish a very long tapering process, with hopes to be finished in a few more months or so.
As Hatmaker told you, after years of opiate abuse, we have a lot to work on and it really does take time! I'm sorry your doctor doesn't seem all that knowledgeable about the drug. That makes it a little harder to know what to do. You're in the right place here to learn more about your treatment and how to best use Suboxone as a part of your recovery.
I'm glad you've gotten help. Opiate addiction is tough! It's really so complex to get out of that horrible cycle. Suboxone, for me anyway, has given me a chance to think straight and start working on what all happened that led to my addiction, what happened because of my addiction and how to start to dig my way out.
So welcome to the club. I hope you'll stick around with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:13 pm 
Hey doorchain,

I am glad you found this place! It has helped me soooo much.

One thing that really helped was I went under the section "Talk Zone Articles" and read a bunch of those. They are written by Dr Junig (the guy who started this place). I think Dr Junig has some intresting things to say about addiction and suboxone. Your doc might like these articles too! Read about the "celing effect" of suboxone. Read about why will power does not work. You can also find Dr J on YouTube if you hate reading. Just search suboxone on YouTube and I think he should pop up.

I too planned on taking this med for about 3 months. Now I know I will be on it for at least one year. I have been on 8mg daily (one tab in the morning) for about 4 months and my life has improved in ways I never thought possible. The suboxone is now just a small part of me going out to get a better life. I am going to start taking 6mg next month because I don't think I need all 8 at this point.

Again, welcome!! Come back and post your story, I would love to hear it!!! Kire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

After reading the comments so far I think the best plan to have, regarding how long, is not to have a plan. I think we all started suboxone with a time frame in mind and I'll bet that time frame went out the window after we got into our recovery for most of us. I was told 1 or 2 years when I started subs and I've been on them for 6 1/2 years and will probably be on forever. We never know how fast or slow we are going to adjust to life without abusing drugs. Listen to your body and be flexable. Try to find a doctor that will work with you when lowering your dose. There were many reductions for me that I wasn't quite ready for and my doc would bring me back up for a month or two. His philosophy for me has always been "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and that has worked well for my recovery. With that being said, we are all different and we all recover at different paces. I know people that have worked hard to get off subs in 3 or 4 months and are still sober and others that have relapsed after being on suboxone for years. You never know with this disease. That's why so many preach that suboxone is just one small part of recovery. For now you should take your suboxone, work on your recovery and not worry about the later details (how long, how much). Best of luck and welcome.