It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been taking 16mg's of Suboxone a day for a good 6 months.

I've quit for 3 days now, and have severe pain from a kidney stone. I don't want to relapse, but I need to take pain killers to ease the pain.

How long must I wait before I'd feel the full effects of pain killers again?

(Again, I've been taking every day for 6 months, haven't taken anything for 3 days).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi D and welcome to the forum. This topic has been widely discussed lately. One particular thread you might want to see is entitled something like "going off suboxone and onto pain meds".
If you're going to be taking "normal" doses of pain meds, even after being off the sub for days you might not get any pain relief. What your doctor needs to do is prescribe you a dose higher than "normal" to give you some kind of pain relief. Unfortunately, many doctors aren't prepared to give a recovering addict high levels of pain meds, but you never know. They seem to think that taking pain meds will put an addict at risk of relapse, when in fact untreated pain puts an addict at greater risk of pain.

Look in the category "Links" and read the paper "Treating acute pain in bupe and methadone patients". Then print it and take it to your doctor. Hopefully he will read it and heed the advice. Have they given you Toradol for the kidney stone pain? It's only something they can give you at the hospital or doctor's office, but it is widely considered the "kidney stone pain med". And it's not a narcotic.

One final disclaimer - I'm NOT a doctor or medical professional. Just an informed recovering addict. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The effects of the painkillers will gradually increase over the next several days. I was able to obtain pain relief from fentanyl after a liver biopsy after having stopped taking 6mg of suboxone for 72 hours. It didn't work as well as it would have if I had not been taking suboxone, but it DID work, and my anesthesiologist told me that if I kept NOT taking the suboxone, that the opiates would work better and better with each passing day.

I can't give you a specific answer to your question, but I can hazard a guess based on my own personal experience in a similar situation and I would guess that if you've already not taken any suboxone for 72 hours, you could probably already achieve at least SOME level of pain relief from opioid medication right now. Probably not the full effect, but at least SOME effect, and if you continue to NOT take the suboxone, the effectiveness of any opioid medication you take will only increase as each hour since your last dose of suboxone passes.

I hope that helps a bit.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I second Hatmaker's suggestion of Toradol for kidney stone pain - it really works.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:59 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know you're all trying to help, but I wasn't taking Sub's for only a few days. I took it everyday.

I don't doubt that it's out of your system within 48 hours, I want to know when I'll again achieve the full effects of pain killers. I read something where someone said it would take 28 days. I don't have that long.

I don't have insurance, ended up paying full price for my medications, and don't want to have paid hundreds of dollars for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You will feel the "full effects" of painkillers as soon as the Sub is out of your system. Unfortunately, your tolerance for those painkillers will be higher than an opiate-naive person so you will have to take more to get relief. In fact, you will probably have to take more than what's prescribed to you just to stay out of withdrawal from stopping the Suboxone.

If you are asking when your tolerance will return to normal so that a "normal" dose of painkillers will relieve your pain - probably in a month or so.

-Jack Kornfield