It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After seventeen years of Hydrocodone addiction I was at the end of my rope. Amazingly, I had never heard of Suboxone. I started taking Suboxone three years ago and have been great ever since. I know that Suboxone has a longer than usual, but mine seems to be longer than others. I have lupus and have flares that are beyond words, my problem is that my Psychiatrist let's me get of Suboxone when I have a flare and knows that I need to take narcotics when it really gets bad. Well it takes about six days before it gets out of my system in order to take a lortab, by then the flare is gone and need to go back to Suboxone. My question is what the normal time is for the Suboxone to get out ones system?
Thanks topher69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm sure the length of time varies a lot between individuals. Then, there is the issue of amount of time it is detectable vs how long it has a physiological effect. It seems I read one study that put the time to be completely out of one's system at somewhere between 7-14 days, with an average of 9 days. Whatever it is, it isn't real quick to leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quite a while back someone posted a graph that addressed this question, but I haven't seen it in a while. (Anyone else remember where that post is?) Like moman said, it depends on a lot of things. The mean half-life is 37 hours. But add to that the stacking effect because we take it daily. Some people don't get good pain relief from full agonists for several weeks. When you have a flare up and need to stop the suboxone, do your doctors give you the right dose - a high enough dose? You would need more than the average dose to try to get some pain relief, but many doctors fear giving us a dose that would be necessary to address the pain. But I'm sure you know all this.

I feel for you....Lupus sucks and having to go on and off suboxone and full agonists must be a real pain in the ass for you. How bad is your pain? Are they able to control your flares at all? I'm sorry I can't give you more specific answers. I wish you the best.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Yeah, that must be hard
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gosh, having to go on and off Sub over and over must be super difficult! I see why you need to do it, but it would be nice if somehow your doctor could give you something to knock the Sub off your receptors faster so the full agonist opiates could start working.

This Sub half-life is such a mystery to me. I stopped for a full week before surgery and thought that would be enough, but honestly, pain meds didn't work AT ALL the same at first. Right after surgery, they gave me shot after shot after shot of Fentanyl. I couldn't feel a thing, other than it did reduce the pain level. After the Fentanyl, Dilaudid started working and at a normal dose. They did the drip thing and I got the same drip they give everyone else. I think the Fentanyl knocked the Sub all the way off and allowed the Dilaudid to work. I don't know if this could be done at home. Maybe if your doctor could give you Fentanyl or something like it to take before your regular pain medication, then perhaps you wouldn't have to wait so long to benefit from the pain meds. Suffering for six days to take pain meds only to then not need them because the flare is gone....well, there must be a better way.

I'm wondering how much Sub you are taking and whether you've ever tried taking a high dose to manage your pain. I took 32 mg for a couple years after an injury and, while it definitely didn't wipe the pain out like a full-agonist opiate, it brought it into the range where I could handle it if I took non-narcotic pain relievers as well. Also, I didn't go through the roller coaster of (severe pain-take pain med-almost no pain for up to an hour-pain returning and becoming horrible-have to WAIT and WAIT to be able to take my next pain med). I know your flares may be outside the limits of pain relief that Sub can afford, but I just wanted to know if you had ever tried a high dose to control it.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:23 pm 
@topher, have you ever thought about using methadone to treat your addiction and pain? You'd be killing two birds with one stone and not have to bounce back and forth, that seems like it would be very miserable and depressing having to stop and start like that frequently.