It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

ok so im on my second day of subs and still have back and leg cramps. i was taking (2)80mg Oxycontin at a time 2-3 times a day and also smoking .3-1.0 grams of heroin on top of that a day. HOW LONG DO I GOTTA TAKE THIS BEFORE I CAN STOP?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

squirrelbate wrote:
ok so im on my second day of subs and still have back and leg cramps. i was taking (2)80mg Oxycontin at a time 2-3 times a day and also smoking .3-1.0 grams of heroin on top of that a day. HOW LONG DO I GOTTA TAKE THIS BEFORE I CAN STOP?

squirrelbate,

I'm no professional or even the most informed person on this forum. But, I saw that your post didn't have any replies. That's why I'm posting.

What does your doctor say about your treatment or are you doing this on your own (which it sounds to me might be going on here and makes me suspect is the reason that you haven't received any replies).

If you are still experiencing back and leg pain or other symptoms of withdrawal, I would assume that your dose needs to be increased. But, most doctors would know to have you do that when inducting you. Once your maintenance dose is established, you stay on that dose until it's time to taper off (that's IF it ever becomes time to taper off the medication).

My personal experience has been with two doctors. The first doctor had a 90-day treatment plan (I relapsed). My second doctor has had me on Suboxone for 2 years and I'm starting a serious taper now. I've tapered down considerably this past year from 20mg to 4mg for quite some time and then down to 2mg. It was bumpy at times and I had to go back up several times. Tapering is not something that I suggest be forced. For me, it's not been successful unless my head is ready.

If you're not with a doctor, I hope that you can find a way to get one to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When it comes to how long someone should stay on sub, it's very individualized. Dr. Junig has presented us with studies that show short term usage of sub (less than a year), especially with people under age 30, has an extremely high rate of relapse. Personally, I think it also depends on how long the person was in active addiction and how bad it got.

While on suboxone, many people think it's best to do other things for recovery, such as meetings or therapy of some kind. It's a good idea to get out of our bad habits that led to so many self-destructive behaviors. Those habits took a long time to develop and will therefore take a while to change. So take the time you're on suboxone to make some changes in your life so that when you are ready to taper off (assuming you decide to stop taking it), your chances of success (not relapsing) are the greatest.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When it comes to Sub or any opiate dependency treatment it all depends on the person not he medication. Some people have done this in a couple weeks others take years and some could be on it for the rest of their life. I once heard one Suboxone Dr say a group that up to 30% of each Sub patients will end up on SUB for life. But what I think it really comes too on your addiction and how long you have been on it and how much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

....and what else you are willing to do for your recovery!