It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anybody have any facts about how long is the recommendead time to stay on suboxone.
i had 2 doctors tell me 2 different things the first one told me it is only to detox you and that takes anywhere from 2to4 weeks the 2nd doctor told that it is best to stay on sub for a at least 3 to 6 months because the chance of relapse have shown to be smaller.
now just based on reading most of the storys on this forum that sounds more correct.
thank you all for your input fact or not i think experiance is as good as any medical study sometimes.
thank you
from another happy suboxone patient that has a good shoot at a good life again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mustang,

That is a very good question. My non-professional answer would be this: There is no right answer - there are as many opinions on this subject as there are doctors. Some do say only for a couple of weeks, but from what I gather, longer-term use is advocated more. My opinion on that would be because professional people are learning that being on suboxone short term will only take care of the physical withdrawals. They do nothing to assist in living a life free from active addiction. But you've been on this forum for awhile, so I'm sure you know that already.

There are also the doctors that advocate long-term maintenance of suboxone - meaning longer than 6 months. Many people here have been on it for years and many plan to be on it for the long-haul.

I doubt this will answer any of your questions - probably just gives you more of them. But I thought I'd throw my two cents out there for guests and newcomers. I'm sure others will chime in.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have seen recommendations all over the map and the main suboxone web site recommends it from short detox to indefinitely. Melissa wrote an excellent reply and I don't have much to add except that I have been on it for almost 3 years myself.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi there mustang06,
Hello & Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you will get many answers / opinions to your question. I am NOT a Dr. or Health Care Professional. But my personal experience and from what I have read.... Long term treatment gives you the best chance at Recovery. The idea behind long term use vs Short & Quick use is giving you a chance to learn how to live and function with out the cravings or w/d's that come with addiction.... As hatmaker said there is no one right answer.. The right answer is whatever works the Best for you!!! I'm sorry there is no "Yer or No" - "Black or White " answer to your question. If you asked 10 Dr.'s you will probably get 10 variations of the same answer???? Just try to do what gives you the best chance for LONG TERM Sobriety :) .....Please come back and post your progress. You will find alot of support right here!! Take Care of yourself and keep up the good work!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm 
My current doc who calls himself a "psychopharmacologist" (i.e. glorified prescription writer (sorry)) said a minimum of one year, but two would be better. Another doctor who I consulted, who runs a real program with a contract, required therapy, urine screens, etc. said 1 year. A friend of mine went through a state sponsored program and it was 12 weeks start to finish. Most of the literature I've read suggests that short term treatment leads to early relapse. But like everyone else said, there's no one correct answer. For me, I don't like the idea that I'm on medication, but it is my insurance against relapse. I know myself well enough to know that I really need this medication right now - I'm not strong enough in my recovery to go it alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I may be a somewhat unique case. I'm 46 years old and have been abusing opiates since I was about 16. At one point in my early 20's I was shooting up HUGE amounts of H on a daily basis...so much that many of the "seasoned" junkies I was getting high with would look at what I was putting in the cooker with this :shock: kind of expression on their face and ask me if I knew what I was doing.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago. I haven't shot up in a LONG time, but I just switched to pills. About 3 years ago I found I had gotten to a place where I was crunching up 10 30mg oxy's at a time and really only getting "straight" from doing that.

Yes, I was very, very sick....and to be honest, I am still very very sick. This sickness (addiction) does not go away and there is no cure. Only....remission. 12 step recovery never worked for me. I'd get a month or two or five and relapse..story of my life.

Finally, about 3 years ago, I got some very shocking news when I was told I had chronic advanced type 1 Hepatitis C. It kind of threw me for a loop and I started to get very serious about getting clean and I heard about this suboxone thing, but tried to avoid getting on it (because I saw it as some kind of "crutch") for about 18 months. But I kept relapsing/getting clean, over and over again and just got sick of the merry-go-round and decided that I needed to give suboxone a try.

All I can say is WOW!

It changed my life.

And now, my suboxone doctor is telling me that he thinks I should just stay on it indefinitely.

I'm at a relatively low dose (4mg daily) and doing quite well with it.

So, I will, most likely, take his advice and stay on it for the long haul. My life was a disaster without it.