It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: how long should I wait
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I took a 5 mg hydro about an hour ago because my insurance wouldn't pay for my suboxone yet now I am able to get my suboxone I am still feeling withdraws after taking the hydro can I take a little but of suboxone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:56 pm 

Sillygirl,

We need more information. Have you been on Sub before? What dose? Why did your insurance company refuse to pay for it?

If you've been taking Suboxone, then took a Vicodin, it's okay to take your Suboxone again. Nothing bad will happen. Is that what you were asking?

Welcome to the forum. Info...need more info....

rule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sillygirl wrote:
I took a 5 mg hydro about an hour ago because my insurance wouldn't pay for my suboxone yet now I am able to get my suboxone I am still feeling withdraws after taking the hydro can I take a little but of suboxone?

Hello Sillygirl and welcome to the forum!

I think I understand what your asking and I would suggest you wait a bit longer. You might be ok, but why chance it? I always recommend be in moderate to severe withdrawals before taking any sub. Taking any sub that soon after a hydro (even a 5mg dose) is really taking a risk in my opinion.

Try to hold out for as long as you possibly can. Once the withdawals get so bad you can't take them any longer then it's probably safe to take the first dose of sub. You want to do everything possible to avoid any chance of precipated withdrawals from happening. You want no part of those I can promise you. Waiting for more serious symptoms to hit give you the best chance.

I usually sugggest the use of what is called the Cows (clinical opiod withdrawal scale) Sheet. It's a list of withdrawal symptoms that you give a number score to. Once you get to a score of about 15 in this case it's safe to take the sub. A score of 15 would have you feeling bad enough to take the sub. The higher the score the better it is for induction. Getting to 20 is even better.

Here's the link for the Cows sheet for you....

http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf (<-----click)

You may not have all the symptoms and that's ok. Just score yourself honestly or have someone help you score yourself to maybe be more accurate.

As Rule said, can you please provide additional info? Like how much hydro have you previously been taking, and for how long? Also how much sub do you have, and was it prescribed by a doctor? Do you have a plan in place as to how much sub you are planning on taking once your ready for it? If not I would like to make a suggestion......

Begin with smaller doses waiting about an hour to give it plenty of time to be effective. Then take additional doses if needed every hour until stable. Depending on your addiction level you might begin by taking 1mg doses at first if your past use was light. If you have been a heavy user in the past then it may take more than that. It may take 4mg doses to get you comfortable. Everyone is different.

We're here to help all you need us. I wish you the very best and please keep us updated how your doing.

Karen xoxo

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:31 pm 

Thank You Karen. Another set of eyes surely helps. I read too fast anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rule62 wrote:
Thank You Karen. Another set of eyes surely helps. I read too fast anyway!

No problem my friend! Happy to help! :D