It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi. i have been on suboxone for almost 3 years. i have 19 months clean from heroin. i am ready to get off. i am in the middle of switching doctors its been btaking a lot longer than expected. since i have been doctor-less, i've been taking only a half each day, maybe one at night here & there. my boyfriend has a dr & is prescribed-- been taking his.

i don't know if my new doctor (apt in 2 wks) will accept me knowing that i want to get off of subs so soon. so i am not sure if i will be doing this on my own (with my bf & his dr's advice) or with my doctor.

i am a nanny. i babysit for a lady who depends on me & only me. i need to know at what point of my taper should i be telling her i can't work? & for how long?

greatly appreciate it, thank you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello CreativeUserName00! That's an awfully creative user name ya got there!!! LOL! I love a good sense of humor!
Welcome to the forum!! Congratulations on having 19 months clean from heroin! You must be so proud of yourself, that
is quite an accomplishment.

As far as your question goes, unfortunately there is no set answer that applies to each and every addict. From what I have
read here ,and on other forums, the amount of down time you will have (and how severe it will be) vaires from person to
person. Also there are alot of contributing factors. Like how long and how low you taper. What I would do is the following.

There are a 2 excellent sections on this forum that are loaded with information that will assist you in answering those
questions. One of them is called "Stopping Suboxone". The other one is called "Bupe In The Rear View Mirror". Both
sections contain threads with stories from other addicts who have either been where you are at right now, or are in the
process of tapering right now. I think that if you read through some of the threads in those sections, you'll find a lot
of information that could be useful in assiting you in making a plan for tapering, and eventually, jumping. In there you will
find what to expect, and when to expect it. You will also find out what comfort meds were a life saver to some, and which
things to stay away from.

This forum is really a wonderful place to assist you in what you are preparing yourself to do. I have all the faith in the world
that you can do it, and if you need any help~just ask. We have a whole lot of members who have either been there, or are
there, and know exactly how you feel. GlenBee is one of them. He is in the middle of a taper right now, and I've been
following along with how he is doing. IMO, he's doing quite well too!

I am certain that more members will come along and post. In the meantime, check out some of those stories, if you haven't
already. Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to how you are. You could even start a thread of your taper, so
that you could sort of "track" how you are doing, and get input along the way. Anyway, that's about all I can think of for now
so again, Good luck and Welcome to the forum!!! Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like you've got a ways to go before you actually jump off. You should probably stay on the 4mg if you can until you get in with the new doc. And I would not tell the doc that you are planning to go off untill s/he accepts you as a Sub patient. Then you will probably want to taper before you go off if at all possible. You can look at some of the tapering threads on the forum to get an idea how long it will take you. Once you do go off, you may want to take a couple of days off. A lot of people say that going to work, while difficult, is better than staying home and focusing on how bad you feel. Others may chime in with a different opinion. But ultimately, you have to decide what you can handle.
Good luck and let us know how its going,
Lilly