It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

swaped from 30mg methadone to suboxone two and a half months ago....was tough as i had reduced from 60-30mg at 1mg/day before swaping to suboxone....waited almost 72 hours before swaping...i stabilized on 28mg suboxone...probably only needed 16mg and a bit of time to let it build up in system..i stayed on 28mg for a week then went down 2mg every second day untill i got to 8mg....ive been in constant pain due to moderate to severve arthrits in my spine....ive been on 8mg for over a month now....my health has improved dramatically off methadone...ive lost wieght...testosterone has doubled...ive put on lean muscle tone....i have so much more energy...and old injuries are healing.....some of these health benifits are due to giving up somking 15 months ago changes in my diet and increased exercise....but there has been a definate rise in testosterone, weight loss and rise in energy levels after swaping from methadone...i would recomend anyone on methadone to swap....pain was and is a problem and has to be expected, but my pain is getting better every day....
How long should i stay on suboxone after methadone before attempting to come off completely...i was on methadone for 21 years.....im keen to get off....have not used other opiates for over ten years....have given up smoking,alcohol, valium and grass...all four i abused for over 21 years...and ive been cleen from those for over 15 months......i just have to beet suboxone now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi there, I switched to Sub from 43mg of methadone after over 8 years of methadone. I stabilized at 10mg the first day and stayed at that dose for a month. I then slowly weaned down all the way to 0.2mg and was off of subs in 4 months. 28 mg is a crazy high dose which will make it much harder to get off of, but it's still possible.
Check out my thread in the introductions section of this forum that shows my journey from methadone to subs to nothing, and how I did it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing Ghost-- and Renots, good luck! I don't think there is any scientific or medical opinion out there, because your situation is not common. As Ghost said (and you suggested as well), 28 mg is a very high dose of buprenorphine. But because of the ceiling effect at the mu receptor, you are probably only experiencing the effect of about 8 mg, and the rest is just contributing to side effects (the main breakdown product, norbuprenorphine, acts as a full agonist but does not cross into the brain-- so you may be getting more constipation).

I would recommend lowering to a more-reasonable dose of 16 mg fairly quickly-- e.g. down to 24 mg ASAP, and then to 16 mg after a week or so. If you are like most people, you will not notice any change. In fact, depending on how efficiently you dose (30% is absorbed on average during Suboxone dosing), you may not feel any difference until you drop to 8 mg per day.

From there, it is a slow process to taper down, and the challenge is to find a way to divide your dose consistently, making tiny reductions every couple weeks or so.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:49 am 

Renots, you are fortunate that our own suboxdoc, the founder of this forum, is giving you such great advice! His advice comes from years of experience prescribing suboxone and thousands of patients helped. No one could give you better advice!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I dont think you guys read what i wrote.....im on 8mg suboxone.....i went down from 28mg to 20mg then to 16mg in the first week then went down 2mg every second day untill 8mg.....ive been on 8mg for nearly two months now.......i just want to know if i should stay at 8mg for a while longer or start to reduce again? How long does it take the system to get over methadone.....ive been off methadone for two and a half months....should i stay on eight and give my system more time to adjust or should i start to reduce again.......i was feeling withdrawl on 8mg for a couple of weeks now im ok...