It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I really detest the taste of sub. So I've been reading the forums here everyday for support, and information. Well, I like the doctor's method for taking sub. But I don't think I'm leaving it in long enough. I usually gargle and spit the orange out after like 10-15 minutes..but now noticing wd symptoms later in the day. I don't think I'm getting the full 8mg. Am I doing this wrong? I saw somewhere on here I'm supposed to leave it in for like 35-40 min! I feel off. I think tomorrow I will simply let it dissolve under my tongue as usual see if I feel better. I am having cravings, feeling kinda down, sluggish, muscles hurt, runny nose,.etc any feed back welcome. Thanks...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:11 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

hopeful_sobriety wrote:
I really detest the taste of sub... I think tomorrow I will simply let it dissolve under my tongue as usual see if I feel better.

hopeful sobriety, I like your name!

Like you, I detested the taste of Sub the first few months and would spit (mainly because I didn't like the idea of swallowing the Naloxone) but I was on 16-20mg when I would spit, so there wasn't really any fear of going into withdrawal if I didn't absorb every bit of the bupe.

I'm at 4mg now and, because of what you're experiencing, am very glad that I no longer spit. I've acquired a taste. Actually, I think that almost anyone, if not everyone, can acquire a taste for the orange tablet. I originally stopped spitting because I will often take my dose on the go and I was finding myself in places where I couldn't spit (I won't go into any stories about the failed attempts to discreetly do so). All the same, just because you're not spitting, doesn't mean that you will always get the maximum benefit of the Sub.

My opinon, based on my experience, is that it really depends on how dry your mouth is. The dryer the mouth, the longer it takes for the tablet to break down, which means the longer it will take for the bupe to be absorbed. I've stuck a table in my mouth before leaving for work and have arrived at work 25-30 minutes later and it's still not even half gone. When my mouth is moist, the tablet usually is gone in about 5-8 minutes. Because I've acquired a taste for the tablet, I usually don't drink or rinse my mouth for an hour afterward (well, maybe that's not entirely true. I do sip on my coffee).

I don't know if this will help, but when I'm in a real hurry to have the tablet dissolve, I'll let it start to dissolve under my tongue and then rub it between my tongue and the inside of my bottom gum until it becomes chalky and then I help all that chalky substance to contact as many areas of the inside of my mouth as possible until it's all liquified.

I hope that helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's no set time to hold the leftover "juices" in your mouth in order to get maximum absorption. Some people do leave it in for up to 45 minutes. Personally I can't do that. Mine dissolves fairly quickly (I break and 8 mg pill into 4 pieces) and I leave it in as long as I can, which is usually no more than 10 minutes or so.

I also believe I've read that it actually absorbs better the drier your mouth is. In other words, the less spit in your mouth the more the medication can absorb into the mucous membranes instead of dissolving in lots of spit, only to be swallowed or spat out. (Can anyone explain this better than I?)

Also, make sure you don't eat or drink for 15-20 minutes afterward. Even if you're not getting the full 8 mg you shouldn't have any problems. Let's say you get 4 mg of the 8 - that's still going to last the average half-life of 36 hours. Personally I think the more you focus on it the more it's going to bug you. As addicts, many of us are just terrified of withdrawals and think we're experiencing it with every yawn and sniffle. Distraction is a great technique. Before you start convincing yourself that your medication wore off in 12 hours or less, remind yourself that logically speaking it's just not likely - then distract yourself. Chances are you'll forget about it and feel better soon. At least that's my take on it.

Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i like to have my mouth only slightly moist and dissolve 2 2mg subutex(generic) one on each side. you don't won't your mouth to wet a little on the dry side is better for absorption. when my mouth is full of juices i really feel like i loose a lot (love those old habits) but i also keep my juices in for at least 30 min. sometimes even longer and i think it does make a difference. if you have to swallow a little to keep your mouth on the dry side. hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to add that when you dissolve it under your tongue you can place it anywhere. I used to try to put a pill (or part of one) on either side below my tongue until Dr. J dispelled the need for that. Just FYI...

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking my morning dose about an hour before I have to get up. I put it under my tongue and go back to bed and by the time I get up it is dissolved and I don't really taste it. I'm not sure of it's a good idea because you might swallow it and choke, but it has never has happened to me. When I do it this way, it seems I get get better absorption, maybe because it stays in longer. Since I am on 4mgs. A day, 2 in the morning and 2 later in the day, if I don't do ot this way I feel kinda shitty when I get up. I don't know just an idea that works for me. Any questions PM me.