It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know its different for every baby but if he's being weaned daily with little to no signs of NAS how long should it take for him to get off .10 morphine?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can someone please share their experience with their baby NAS and weaning off morphine?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:35 pm 

Hey Ifamigli welcome!

Sorry no one has responded to ur question yet, they'll be someone come along soon hopefully. I have no experience with ur question or I'd gladly answer it for ya. I just wanted to tell u that if u give it a little bit of time, someone who has been through this will be along to help ya. There's several ppl who are members of this forum with the knowledge ur needing help with.

Just didn't want u thinking no one cares. Glad u found us :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I was hoping you could give me a little guidance as to how long your baby had to stay in the NICU to wean off of morphine? My baby started on .16 and has gotten down to point .14 and I was told it could take weeks or only a week depending on how well she tolerates the lower doses. They could possibly have to go up. She has been weaned twice in 2 days and I'm told that's a good thing but not to expect it every day. Did your baby have to ever go up again on a dose? How often did they wean the baby? I do know all babies are different but I would love to hear what your experience was? I hope everything went okay with your baby.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I had my baby a month ago they put him on morphine due to his withdrawal symptoms. they started him on a low dose and he wasn't taking it well so they had to put him on a higher dose and eventually he got put on the highest dose. it has been a month since I've had my baby and he is still in the NICU. it's horrible to watch him go through this I feel so guilty. and the nurses tell me he will probably be there for another 4 to 8 weeks and he has already been there a month. the weaning process is a very slow process... they just keep telling me that every baby is different and it depends on how the baby metabolizes the drug... my baby doesn't tolerate this very well. I hope you have better luck with your baby and I hope she will be able to wean off of the morphine very fast I'm going through a terrible experience right now and I wouldn't wish it on anybody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know exactly what you mean! This has been a never ending nightmare! The guilt is so overwhelming! My baby handled the morphine okay and was able to start weaning after the first 48 hours of starting. She has been weaning down daily luckily but I'm just waiting for bad news. She has so far been getting low scores but received a 5 last night which scares me a little. The scores in my opinion are a bit crazy and she's scored if she doesn't sleep a full 3 hours between feeds which I think is ridiculous on top of other ridiculous thing which I'm sure you know all about! I am so sorry your baby has been there so long. It seems like they will never come home and us as parents are missing out on our children's first few weeks and even months. The guilt and depression just consumes me and there is not a second that goes by that she is not on my mind! She has been there since the 18th and I can't imagine going much longer. If you don't mind me asking what dose did they start your baby on and what dose has he weaned down to so far? My baby started at .16 and is currently at .12. Does his scores just keep going up when they try to wean your baby? I will keep you and your baby in my prayers!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:53 pm 

I'm so sorry that both of your babies have needed to go on morphine to handle withdrawals. I know you both feel horrible guilt, but please try to remember that you kept yourself off heroin for your babies. Taking sub or methadone to keep your addiction under control is so necessary! You have made sacrifices to do the best you could, so please, don't beat yourselves up. There are babies who need to be in the NICU for several months for different reasons. They go on to enjoy full and happy lives with their families. Your babies will too!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! The guilt is very overwhelming! She is slowly being weaned and I was told last night we could have her home as early as Monday. Fingers crossed!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:22 pm 

I believe that some of the alleged withdrawal of newborns is inflated to punish mothers who are addicts. It makes me sick.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I couldn't agree more. The things that they score her for are ridiculous. None of my babies slept as much as they want her to sleep and every little wimper and jerk she makes is a withdraw. It's like they want her to stay in the hospital for as long as possible.