It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Heres a great link that can answer a lot of questions about paws. Hope it helps.

http://whatmesober.com/personal-writing ... very/paws/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm a heroin addict & would rather go cold turkey from heroin than ever have to get off of suboxone again. My Dr. had told me that it was not addicting & that was a flat out lie. The sub wds lasted forever & ever & I'm talking about 6 months or so. The lead suit feeling of having no energy, couldn't even get out of bed lasted forever & ever. The chills, kicking legs, no sleep at all & felt like I was going thru ct from heroin but I was on the sub. At least with ct that last about 4-7 days. The sub wd is closer to 6 months. I know I'm repeating myself but can't get over how hard it was to finally get off the sub. The Dr. told me the sub was not addicting & I would just fly thru the heroin wds with no problem at all. He never told me about how hard & how long it would take to get off the sub. Plus he was prescribing 2 8mg per day. After I was 'hooked' & doing research online I found out that 2-4 mgs would be more than enough to help me to get off heroin and a couple weeks would
be enough too. Not the 18 months at 16 mgs per day. That is why the anger. If I get messed up with heroin again I PROMISE you I will bite the bullett go thru a few days of hard core ct rather than ever go on suboxone again. I'm am not debating by the way but am telling you my truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yea I feel ya, im almost to 50 days and still not back to normal. I was hoping 3 months I would be back, but I guess I can deal with 6 months. Im still unmotivated, have insomnia and lack energy.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: relief
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey. Speaking from personal experience in this field. I was on suboxone the first round for 11 months and got a new job in a different state that forced me off the subs at 8mg!!! This is a bigggg jump for ANYONE! But I was in a pretty violent WD for about 15 days and then it SORT OF leveled off. But the point here is...after about 10 months I was still really depressed, had no energy, no motivation, no interest in anything, and my sleep was still off. That was after 10 months off of it. I was miserable. This is just MY experience...so Im not saying this will happen to everyone, but I had to get back on suboxone because I felt that relapse was imminent if I kept on trying to kid myself. Suboxone saved my life...there is no doubt in my mind...and I will be on it as long as there are opiates on the streets! ;]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The way I see it is even if it takes 5yrs to get back to normal its better than spending the rest of my life dependant on a med. Opiate recovery takes a long time. My paws symptoms really arent that bad, just annoyimg more than anything and I can finally see that I am getting bavk to normal. 8mgs is a huge jump. Subs is better than taking a doc imo. I plan to ride this out no matter how long it takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am quite pleased to see so many people who have gotten off suboxone whether temporarily or for good who are still on this site to offer assistance to people. I know when I jumped there wasn't anyone who could really tell me from their own experience how long things would last. They could tell me PAWS last from 1-2 years but what Romeo is providing is much more helpful. I also think the suggestion to use a taper journal is brilliant because the progress can feel so slow it's like not having any at all unless you have something to look back at.

Also, asking the definition of "the tiniest little bit" is a very good question.

I do believe there have been people who did a very slow taper down to very small amounts (liquified amounts) who experienced little to no withdrawal or PAWS at all. If I am correct.....???

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jackcrack,

I'm glad you find my posts helpful. When I first got off Suboxone, I was like you in that I couldn't really find many people who had successfully quit Suboxone who could tell me what to expect from the wd and that lack of information was really frightening. All I wanted to know was what was in store for me and about how long it would last. Not understanding what my body/brain were going through and how long it would last paralyzed me with fear many times and made my wd/PAWS way harder than it needed to be.

You also mention a taper journal, that is a great idea. While I didn't keep any kind of formal journal, I did train myself to regularly look back at how I used to feel and compare it to how I was feeling now, that's a great tool to prove to yourself that you're actually making progress....even if the progress is slow. Thinking that we're not making progress is a great way to completely demoralize yourself and fall back into active addiction. Truthfully, I had to use my wife's point of view several times too. There were times I thought I wasn't making any progress with my wd and she would kinda chuckle and give me several "remember whens."

As far as people who tapered to very small amounts and experienced little to no withdrawal or PAWS, I remember two members, who are still clean to this day, who did that. mg113 and RainRainGoAway tapered down to .5mg (?) or so, they started skipping days at that dose and just never felt the need to take anymore Suboxone. Both of them passed 1 year off of Suboxone around the April time frame.

Ozzy, you basically have the same attitude about wd/PAWS that I had.....I didn't know how long it would last, but I knew I wasn't giving up. I think this attitude will serve you well. Congratulations on 50 days!!!

If you ever find yourself waffling or if you just need a little kick in the ass, check out this short video. I've watched it many times now and I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa1j2kBI ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone.
My name is Aaron and I'm 27. I've Been on suboxone fr 6 years. A long time. I got into pills at first when my father had a brain anyuerism and got really sick when I was 18 years old. Within a few years it turned to heroin, and from there it just got worse and worse. Finally, I decided suboxone maintenance. I used many years while on it, and just became more addicted. Iver tried to get off before but was never serious enough as never finished. I'm 27 and I finally realized that I am not the same person. My energy level is shot. I can't function until I take suboxone in the morning. I just want to take suboxone and smoke cigarettes and be lazy. I used to bike and mountain run and do amazing things. Im so fed up with being a slave to opiates and I just feel drained and I don't want this anymore. It's been so long that I have been on it that I am so scared and nervous. When I come off I detox so hard. I dirreah, grind my teeth until the point my jaw hurts so bad (and I don't even know I'm doing it). I will sweat and be freezing cold all day long. My eyes water constantly like I'm crying. And then terse the restless sleep. I'm so scared but I cannot do this any longer. I want to be off this when I'm young and not old. I'm so worried that I will never feel the same, or "normal again". I mean, I've heard if some success stories from a few friends I know, but I just am terrified. I know
I'm going to suffer for a long time. But
I'm beginning now. I'm down to a third of an 8mg a day and am
Leaving my program soon. I know this is gonn a probably be the hardest thing I ever
Did but I know I need to do it. Can anyone please share with me their experience? Any personal success? I just want to be able to at least know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Talk to you soon,
Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Aaron
There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. I have had an interesting ride tapering from 16mg (started my taper about 6 months ago, after a year on Suboxone). Physical discomfort has been minimal but in my experience the psychological part has been the hardest. I have not going up in dose regardless except for one day (and it made me feel like total garbage so I resumed my taper the following day).

About 6 days ago I tried to end my taper and stop taking Suboxone entirely. I had tapered at that point (albeit probably way too fast in most opinions on here including my own) down to .3mg. I was able to get that low using the liquid taper method explained in plenty of threads on this site.

I made it almost through day two Suboxone free and the emotional thing took over and I redosed and backed out of the jump.

The next day I started my taper over at .3mg once again and I'm going to try this again, feeling better prepared thanks to lots of super people here including Dr. Junig who runs the forum.

Going to take it lower and slower this time, going by how I feel. I spent 5 days at .3mg and today I lowered again to .26mg.

I feel "normal" now. Haha whatever that is ;) but I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I encourage you to read all sides of the issue of tapering off Suboxone. I also encourage you to read some fe threads in the Suboxone for life section. And of course if you haven't already, Dr. Junig's blog contains endless amounts of valuable information.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Aaron,
Hey man hope you're still doing OK. I just wanted to add, I'm almost through day 4 with no suboxone and I am actually starting to feel normal without it.

Yes, day 1 was pretty annoying with drippy eyes and nose and stomach nausea. Day 2 I couldn't get off the couch and felt real sick (thank god for clonidine and zofran). Day 3 was just as bad as day 2.. Then day 4 happened! And I feel sooooo much better. Like I feel this was all worth it and I know I'll get some strength back soon.

Yes, my energy is low. I feel like I'm drenched in slime I'm moving soooo slooow. But I really do feel like I'm turning the corner.

Just letting you know, it can be done!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am new wanted to say great thread. I started on Sub right when it came out because they said it was better than methadone.. They know best right. fast forward 10 years, After 7 years of taking 8 mg i got down to making 1- 8 mg last a week for a year or so i stopped. Everyday for 9 months i would have to make myself get out of bed be cause i felt like total shit. Long story short i gave in and got back on them because had to work to feed myself.. I really want those who made this so called miracle drug to pay for
ruining my life..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:37 am 

Is it suboxone's fault that you are an opiate addict? No. Do people who have years of both abuse of opiates and then time on suboxone sometimes feel depression after going off all opiates? Yes. Some people develop PAWS after they detox off all opiate agonists/partial agonists. Does that mean that you should be blaming suboxone for ruining your life? Not unless you are just looking for someone to blame expect yourself for being an addict!

I'm assuming that you used sub as a recovery tool because you couldn't taper off your opiate drug of choice. Suboxone seems to be the biggest scapegoat around for people who don't want to acknowledge that addiction is the real problem.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can understand feeling angry that a drug you depended on for a decade to make you "normal" results feeling feeling like you'll never feel normal again after months and months. I went through that myself, and I honestly thought Suboxone had "ruined" me for life. But I did get better, it just took an excruciatingly long time. Also, for me, there was underlying depression. Having trouble even getting out of bed every day is definitely a symptom of depression - so maybe you would benefit from some medication to get you feeling better.

You said you went back on Sub. If you still hope to get off of it I would stay at the ~1mg dose you were on before to stabilize and then taper slowly form there. You were on a little over 1mg per day when you stopped? That's actually still a pretty big dose (it's prescribed for pain in 0.2 and 0.4mg doses). If it would be possible for you to get the 2mg films they're pretty easy to cut down to .25mg pieces, and you can even cut those in half with a razor blade to 0.125.

I would SLOWLY taper to a dose as low as .125. If your doc thinks it's appropriate you might start on an antidepressant while you're tapering, so it will be fully in effect when you're totally off.
They're a lot of threads in the Stopping Suboxone section you can look at for info.

Good Luck,
Lilly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:10 pm 

I think it's definitely safe to say that the opiate addiction itself is the actual cause of ppl thinking thoughts that their lives are ruined. Suboxone didn't do it, and it's irritating to me when I hear that. Go bk past the point of suboxone, there was a totally good reason u had to turn to suboxone and that was because u were addicted to opiates. If not for the help of suboxone u probably wouldn't have been in a place mentally to be able to even think about living completely opiate free. Sure it's absolutely no bed of roses for a lot of ppl coming off suboxone and it is different for each person. There is a member of this forum that just updated us on 100 days off sub and she feels bk to normal. So ur experience isn't like everyone else's and neither is hers. I'm just trying to say that every person's journey is different. Amy is 100% right about not being able to taper off ur drug of choice like u can sub. If us addicts could do that, we'd all do it. Suboxone gives us that opportunity and also time to get our lives together and the want to live and succeed again, our drug of choice wouldn't have given us that opportunity ever because we were abusing the heck out of it. And I also agree that PAWS is very real and I've been through it myself, it can happen with all opiates, but somehow suboxone is the one that gets the blame of ruining lives?? That's unfair.

This is a pro sub forum and we welcome all experiences, positive and negative, and will give anyone all the support they could ask for. But please don't talk about it ruining lives here when there's other forums out there that exists solely for that purpose.