It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been unable to find a thread on this topic (please direct me to it if there is one). Does anyone have any personal experience with using Suboxone recreationally for a given duration without experiencing significant withdrawal after stopping? I have used low doses (2-4mg/day) for 4-5 days in a row and have not had any withdrawal symptoms after stopping. I am wondering where the threshold is where someone will definitely have significant withdrawal after stopping use. I do not currently have an opiate "habit" of any kind; rather, I have been using recreationally for the past year or so (Once per month or less), so my opiate levels are generally low to begin with. I realize this is playing with fire for an addict, but, please, I am not looking for any moral advice or reasoning related to the unwise decision for an addict to be using at all. Please relate relevant experience apropos of the thread question only, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This all depends on each individual person. The longer you use, the more susceptible to withdrawal you are. 2-4mg is actually a pretty high dosage. I guess you're going to have to just find out. Some people take it one time for a few days and withdrawal, others may take longer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Definitely varies. For me, someone who is very susceptible to opiate withdrawal, 3 or 4 days in a row causes moderate withdrawal. After a week of using, I definitely have significant withdrawal symptoms. Careful man, this shit creeps up on you quietly and before you know it you are stuck in a physical addiction.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was in the same situation you were in. I was taking a low dose (around 1-3 mg a day) for approximately a year. It wasn't necessary, and I didn't have them prescribed, was just taking them recreationally. I have been clean for 30 days now since stopping suboxone all together. It isn't a walk in the park, but it is NOT as bad as some say it is. And I have a very low pain tolerance (and I have never been addicted to anything besides suboxone). I do believe you may experience some withdrawal. The half life they say is 36 hours. If you're taking small amounts the half life is obviously shorter than that. I started feeling withdrawal after about 2 days off suboxone. I won't lie to you the physical pain of WD is hard. However, it only lasted for about 4-5 days for me! After that it was extreme fatigue and restlessness for about another week. Two weeks after I stopped I felt like the worst was over. And it was. I am sleeping normally, I have my energy back now, and I am glad to not be under the reigns of suboxone any longer. It is worth it, believe me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jdg00 wrote:
I was in the same situation you were in. I was taking a low dose (around 1-3 mg a day) for approximately a year. It wasn't necessary, and I didn't have them prescribed, was just taking them recreationally. I have been clean for 30 days now since stopping suboxone all together. It isn't a walk in the park, but it is NOT as bad as some say it is. And I have a very low pain tolerance (and I have never been addicted to anything besides suboxone). I do believe you may experience some withdrawal. The half life they say is 36 hours. If you're taking small amounts the half life is obviously shorter than that. I started feeling withdrawal after about 2 days off suboxone. I won't lie to you the physical pain of WD is hard. However, it only lasted for about 4-5 days for me! After that it was extreme fatigue and restlessness for about another week. Two weeks after I stopped I felt like the worst was over. And it was. I am sleeping normally, I have my energy back now, and I am glad to not be under the reigns of suboxone any longer. It is worth it, believe me.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am not aware of anyone whose only experience with addiction is related to Suboxone use, so that is rare indeed. Usually, Suboxone is toward the end of the line for us addicts. I do not believe, however, that my experience mirrors yours exactly, for I have/had not been taking Suboxone on a daily basis for nearly as long as one year as you indicated in your case. Rather, I have been spacing of my use out – using for a maximum of 3 to 4 days at a time – and ceasing use altogether for a week or two the floor all take any again. My question is, thus, if I continue to allow all of the Suboxone to leech its way out of my system by spacing my use out – partially or entirely – can withdrawals be for the most part avoided?
I must say that I am a bit amazed not to have gotten more responses to this thread, for I would have imagined there must be thousands of people like me who attempt to use Suboxone purely recreationally and would therefore be able to share their experience regarding such use patterns. Either I am completely mistaken, such individuals do not use this forum, or - if they do - they do not want to share about it. Hopefully with time more people will contribute to this thread to help me gain a better idea of exactly where the thresholds of Suboxone withdrawal lie. That is to say, how many days in row must one use Suboxone before they will incur significant withdrawal symptoms once they stop?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sublime3stylee wrote:
I must say that I am a bit amazed not to have gotten more responses to this thread, for I would have imagined there must be thousands of people like me who attempt to use Suboxone purely recreationally and would therefore be able to share their experience regarding such use patterns. Either I am completely mistaken, such individuals do not use this forum, or - if they do - they do not want to share about it.

People use this forum to work on their recovery....

EDIT: Sublime3stylee has explained his use of the word "recreationally" and I'm removing the following comments.

Carry on-