It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm on day 8 cold turkey from 4mg. Just started to get the stomach issues yesterday but ive had RLS for the past couple nights and ive beem thru it with OC years ago but how long will this last with suboxone? Please give me some answers lol!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I jumped 11 days ago and my rls is gone. I tapered a lot lower, but still had withdrawals one way or another. Mine stopped around day 8 but occassionally I will get a little tickle and my foot and walk around. My dic also gave me clonidine and vistaril which helped. Also I had read wearing socks could help so I did and put leg warmers over them that were semi tight and increased circulation through my legs. I also heard immodium helped with rls.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

By most accounts, RLS from Suboxone can last up to 3 weeks or so. Most of the time, it seems to go away by the second week.

When I would get RLS, I would hop on our elliptical machine and run until I thought my legs were gonna fall off. That got rid of the RLS for hours at a time.

Have you tried Imodium for the stomach issues? Imodium is chemically similar to an opiate, but it's not an opiate. It works GREAT for stomach issues.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the answers. But I haven't taken anything except a benadryl lol and ive been making myself get up and walk my dogs or just move around. I'm really surprised how good I feel after 8 days everything seems to hit me when I'm ready to go to sleep at night. My body feels like it weighs a ton and don't have a lot of energy, I can deal with that its just the restlessness I hate. It makes me wanna give in but I'm def fightin thru it. I haven't been 8 days clean in 10 years lol. Ill def give the Imodium a try for sure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The fact that your symptoms seem to get worse at night is completely normal. During the evening hours, we're usually winding down and our minds have more time to think about how were feeling. Also, you're 8 days into wd. Wd from Suboxone, from the dose you jumped from, usually peaks between day 7 thru day 10. Hopefully in a few more days you start to see the night-time blahs dissipate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I still have RLS. Not bad, but its there. I'm 3 weeks in. Running seems to help a lot. gL :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Found this site: (NOTE: clicking this link will take you away from this site. If you wish to stay on this site, right-click and choose: "Open Link In A New Tab")
http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/detox/ ... s-syndrome

Coping Strategies and Home-Remedies
Sometimes a little relief is as close at hand as a pair of tight socks or a long hot bath.

Try any or all of the following:

Try a temperature treatment – Soak in a hot bath or alternatively, try a cold shower. Use hot pads or ice packs on your legs - experiment to see what helps.
Massage – Get a leg massage just before bedtime. (Some people find this beneficial, though others find it worsens symptoms.) You might also want to try a handheld massager or leg massager machine that you can use on yourself in the middle of the night.
Get regular moderate exercise – Moderate exercise during the day decreases restlessness at night, but avoid vigorous exercise within a couple of hours of sleep, since this can exacerbate sleep problems. Ideally, choose exercises that engage the leg muscles.7
Wrapping – Try a tension bandage wrapped around the legs (be careful not to wrap so tight as to impair circulation.)
Pantyhose or compression stockings – Some people prefer compression stockings by day and pantyhose or long socks for a more comfortable night’s sleep.
Creams and lotions – such as Icy-Hot, Tiger-Balm, etc.
Stretch or do yoga – Stretching may help alleviate symptoms temporarily, but some people find that deep stretches provide hours of symptoms relief.
Weight – try weighting down the blankets over your legs to ‘smother’ them.
Mindfulness
Sex to orgasm – Most people need the release of orgasm to get symptoms relief.
Lying on your stomach on the floor for half an hour8
Soap under the blankets – this is an odd remedy but many people swear by it – place a bar of regular soap under your blankets by your feet – (not dove or dial brands, for some reason.)9
Choose chairs that allow movement – if restless legs bother you while you relax in the evening, such as while watching television, try sitting in chairs that allow for natural movement, such as a rocking chair or on a yoga ball.10
Avoiding Common RLS Triggers
Although clearly your opiate withdrawal is causing the problem, to play it safe, you may also want to avoid these other common RLS triggers:

Caffeine
Alcohol
Nicotine
Vigorous exercise (though moderate exercises is beneficial)
Excessive stress
Excessive refined sugar intake
Antihistamines, such as Actifed, Sudafed and Benadryl. Though these first generation antihistamines are commonly recommended as OTC sleep aids, they can worsen RLS symptoms.11
Sleep Habits
You probably don’t need to worry about your sleep habits if experiencing RLS during the acute phase of a cold-turkey withdrawal – but if you get regular or even occasional RLS during a prorogued opiate taper, then you may want to pay more attention to good sleep hygiene.

For the best odds of a restful night’s sleep:

Keep your bedroom cool and dark. Take special care to limit screen glow.
Limit outside noise.
Make your bed an inviting place with clean sheets and blankets.
Keep an even sleep schedule. Go to sleep and get up at a similar time each day.
Try to give yourself enough sleeping time to get fully rested.
Get enough daily exercise (but don’t exercise too close to bedtime.)12

By John Lee