It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking about 1-3 30 mg oxycodone tablets for about 3 months. I am down to about 1 to 1.5 tabs a day and want to transition. I start to feel withdrawls symptoms very quickly after I take my last dose of oxycodone about 4 hours apart, I take them in quarters or halfs. I really tried to ween down. Anyways can I take suboxone once I start feeling sick or do I have to wait 12 hours or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome bsstambaugh !

I'm no doctor, but when I asked this same question - setmefree gave me sound advice that worked. That was to wait 24 hours from your last oxycodone pill. You will be in mild to moderate withdrawl. I actually timed my 24 hours with my doctor visit - and was able to take my first dose of suboxone shortly after the visit. It took a couple of hours, then I suddenly found myself feeling 'normal.'

If your goal is to use suboxone as a tool for the addiction/dependence to oxycodone - then the above waiting period will almost surely guarantee you don't have any strange 'precipitated withdrawl' symptoms. I read some people who waited overnight - around 12 hours and took Suboxone, without issue.

There is a formula (search the site) for a COWS scale. It's a measure of your withdrawl symptoms. When you are at a certain level - you will be helped by suboxone. Or, if you are like me, just wait 24 hours (I was nervous), had runny nose, some aches, sneeze, diarrhea, etc.

The great news is that - if you want to get off full opiates - then the above waiting period (hard I know) - will almost surely have you ready. Suboxone keeps you honest. If you are using oxycontin or methadone (long acting opiates) - you can't just wait 24 hours - you have to wait longer. It sounds like you are on the 4 hour version of oxycodone, so 24 hours would be my suggestion.

It is also possible, like me, that your doctor will give you instructions on what they require. I was told to come in the office at the stage of mild to moderate withdrawl symptoms. Setmefree gave me advice - that rather than guessing, just go 24 hours and you'll be fine. Setmefree was right!

GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also always advise a first-time doser to start with a micro-dose. Take a Suboxone pill, and break it in half, then quarter it, then try to get each quarter into eighths. It can be hard, and you may break them into mostly powder, but that is ok. If it shatters, just take what looks like half or even a quarter of the powder that made up half of the original pill, and put it under your tongue (there are other methods for taking it more effectively, apparently, but don't worry about those for now). Wait up to an hour, and then try another microdose. After that one, if you are still not feeling an increase in your withdrawal symptoms, take another at least 45 minutes after that. Continue this until you have done the whole pill.

This is how my doctor advised me to take Suboxone the first time, because everyone's metabolism is different, therefore there is no "scientific time" when it will be ok.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:12 pm 
Welcome bsstambaugh! You have found a good place to come for guidance and support. Have you only been on oxycodone for three months or is it that you've been weaning for three months? If you've only been using for three months may I ask if you've tried other methods of getting off and been unsuccessful? Or has a doctor recommended Suboxone treatment for you?
The reason I ask is that if you've only been addicted to opiates for a few months I would wonder if Suboxone is the best route for you to take. Or maybe you're just looking for a rapid taper with Sub? If that's the case, I would encourage you to do some more research - I think you'll find that when Suboxone is just used for a rapid taper, it really is just postponing the inevitable. Sure the Suboxone will take away the physical symptoms of withdrawal and help with cravings but when you're done with the process, you're still going to have to face withdrawals.
I really feel that ideally Sub should be used as one of many avenues to recovery. While you're on it, you are free from physical withdrawal symptoms and you lose the obsession to use. With that in place you can start repairing the damage caused by your addiction and start rebuilding your life.
I know there are people out there (you may be one of them) who get a handful of Suboxone from a friend or on the street and hope that it's going to cure them. While it's great that they want to get better, it's highly unlikely that it will work long term. Addiction is just such a complex disease. It takes a long time and a lot of work to get better and the physical side of withdrawal, while quite hellish, pales in comparison to the mental aspects. Long after the diarrhea, insomnia, restless legs, runny nose, goosebumps, and bone pain are gone, left in their place is depression, anxiety, drug cravings, sleep problems and other issues that can and most often do last for weeks and weeks if not months. Hence, the relapse rate for opiate addicts is extremely high.
So...best case scenario is a good doctor, Rx for Suboxone for a minimum of 6 months (some say much longer, some say forever), and a recovery plan that includes counseling, group meetings, etc.
To answer your question though - Lathedude is exactly right - you do not want to take the Sub too soon or you will be in the worst withdrawal you can imagine. 24 hours is an almost certain safe zone although some have started in only 12-18 hours and done okay. Best to know those facts and go with what your doc recommends.
Best of luck to you. Keep coming here for support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is the deal. And thanks a lot guys. I have been an addicit for years, about 15. All opiates. I just recently in 2004 started a recovery program in NA/AA and was clean for almost 4 years. As we know, when you stop going to meetings, working the steps, and your program, well this happens. So I know whats up. This has been a short and recent relapse. And I know that they are not answer to long term sobriety "chemical free" sobriety. I know what its like to be chained to chemicals and that is not my goal here. I was hoping to have a more managable drug to come off of taking super small doses and making this quick. There is a big part that says, "just quit, kick it, be done" be sick for a while and then I am free.

Can I do that with Suboxen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have actually wondered, if you do a very rapid detox with Suboxone (like maybe 2 or 3 weeks) would you actually have Suboxone withdrawals? I ask because years ago, I was trying to kick heroin on my own, and bought about two weeks worth of Methadone off the streets. I tapered down over 2 weeks, and then quit. I was sick afterwards for about 4 - 5 days, which would be a heroin sickness, instead of 3 - 4 weeks, which would have been Methadone sickness.

If the OP would not have the super long, mild-type Suboxone withdrawals on a short detox, he may be better of going with Suboxone. Tapering is so easy with Suboxone, because while you are taking almost any amount, it is enough to prevent the mild withdrawals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well we have talked a lot about a a lot of things. Tell me, how long do I wait. Taking in to consideration my current use and plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi - bsstambaugh -

All Rabbit trails aside, setmefree wrote in this post:

"24 hours is an almost certain safe zone although some have started in only 12-18 hours and done okay. Best to know those facts and go with what your doc recommends. "

Naturally, we are not doctors. If you are on short acting opoids - which oxycodone/percocets are - then 24 hours should be a safe buffer. It's about being in mild to moderate withdrawl before starting. 24 hours for the typical person almost guarantees that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I did it. About 11 hours. Took a micro dose. Like a little crumb. Worked fine, that is some powerful medicine. Just got back from a 12 o clock meeting. Plan on making this quick and getting back to sobriety. Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Way to go! Happy trails to sobriety! we are all on the same train.