It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I took my last oxycodone 15mg at 2pm and wonder if I'm ok to start Subutex at my psych appointment tomorrow at 2pm (24 hours). He told me 36 hours, but I've seen several people say 24 is enough.

HELP!

And thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion it would be a complete guessing game whether you are ready or not. You have to be in moderate to severe withdrawals before it's safe to take that very first dose. You DO NOT want to take ANY CHANCES of going into those precipated withdrawals like I did to myself when I first inducted.

MY doctor told me to wait 3 days and I waited only about 8 hours I believe it was. I went almost instantly into those PW's and it's like regular withdrawals X 10!!!! I thought I was going to die I was so sick. I'm NOT trying to frighten you one bit, only letting you know it's far better to wait as long as possible and be sure than to take any chance at inducting too early.

Again in my own personal opinion, but the very best method of deciding if your ready or not is to use what's called a Cow's sheet to determine your level of withdrawals. It's a chart that places a number on different symptoms at the time you are having withdrawals. I believe you need to be at around a score of 15 or higher before it's safe to induct.

Here's the link to that Cows Sheet.....

http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

You may not have ALL the symptoms listed on the sheet, and it's probably best to have someone else score you. You will be in withdrawals at the time and it's very easy to "fudge" your score higher, or make the number go up without realizing it. Having someone score you is best.

You may be ready at 24 hours, and you may not. If you use that Cow's Sheet Score then you know for sure when you are ready. I would positively use it now every single time knowing what I know now.

How much Oxy did you take in the previous days? That could also have some bearing on how long it takes to be ready to induct.

I wish you the very best with your induction. Please let us know how it goes for you. Take care and just make sure you are really feeling bad before taking the first dose. Oh and you should probably begin with small doses of sub until you are stable. I wouldn't take any more than is needed to get you out of withdrawals at the time.

Good luck and if I can be of any further help just let me know!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks. Karen I think I talked to you before, in a previous post, about my last Sub attempt. (?) This is my 2nd attempt at Subs. I couldn't tolerate the first attempt, as I started at 2mg and had severe anxiety, palpitations, dopiness/tiredness yet insomnia, just horrible all around. The next day I only took 0.5mg and it was tolerable, but still pretty unpleasant so I gave up and went back to oxys.

I decided I can't do it alone, so I'm trying the Subs again, only this time starting with the smallest possible dose, likely 0.25mg at first...maybe less, now that I got 2mg pills from him. (Last time he gave me 8mg pills, and I could only cut them down so much! And who knows how much I would really be getting, since they aren't even scored, so that scared me as well. I'm an LPN, so I know you aren't even supposed to break un-scored pills -- that entire 8mg buprenorphine could actually be dispersed throughout only half that pill, and the other half just fillers, so you could actually be getting any amount of bupe when you break an 8mg in half -- it's impossible to tell! And I was surprised when my DOCTOR broke an un-scored 8mg in fourths and told me to "take 2mg". Did I really get 2mg? Anyway....back to my point!)

Last time I waited like 44 hours and I had no precip. w/d at all, but I had also tapered down to 10-15 mg oxy per day. This time I want to try Subs after 24 hours. But this time I did no tapering, and took on average 30-45mg oxy per day, in the last few days, and today I had 37.5 mg. So I know this time I'm being riskier, but I want to induce at my appointment tomorrow. Good thing is I guess, I will be dosing right in front of my prescribing doc, so he can do the COWS on me himself I suppose.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Regarding your .5mg dose the first time around.. the 2mg was still very much in your system so it's hard to tell if .5 is too much for you. My guess is .5 would be a good place to start but always better to err on the side of caution so I understand starting in .25 increments, you can always add on.

Good luck with you induction tomorrow, I hope that you are feeling crappy enough to induce safely. 24hours seems pretty safe but we're all different. Don't take anymore oxy today!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh I won't! I wish I could, of course... :( I don't feel ready to quit this, but I probably never will. So what the hell, right?

I think you could be very right about the dosing, and the 2mgs still effecting my second dose. I'll start small to be safe and move up if I need to.

And thank you!! I'm super scared about tomorrow. But dammit, I'm doing it. Go me... :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hope all goes well for you spditup!!!

Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Be sure and let us know how it goes for you tomorrow!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I guess tomorrow never came?

Started Oxy's again did you?