It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm possibly getting insurance through a college in January. I want to find out if it might cover Suboxone which I'm already paying cash for. It would be nice to get a break but I'm not counting on anything. I want to know how many people have insurance through a company or a school that have a co-pay on Suboxone. The only thing I saw was that the insurance might not cover maintenance drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am 

Is it possible for you to call the insurance company to find out exactly what they cover? I have United Healthcare. They pay for 85% of my doctor visits and suboxone, and I pay 15%. However, I have the coupon that covers my co-pay up to $50 for each prescription. This coupon is available is available here:

http://suboxone.com/patients/about_suboxone/copay.aspx

The coupon expires at the end of December 2012, but they usually have another coupon available as the latest one expires. You can use this coupon even if you are paying for your sub out of pocket.

I wish you luck in figuring out your insurance situation! I know it can be a frustrating process.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I did call and find out. I was afraid to call because I thought it might harm my chance at getting health insurance, but I think they can't do that just because you call and ask questions. I think this may be happening a lot with the new health insurance laws. My school is making people get insurance if they don't already have it. It's not a perfect plan but it's better than nothing.
I have to pay about $500 a semester for the insurance but it covers $500 of prescriptions per year. So I would break even but still have insurance in case something did happen and I needed to see a doctor. My doctor does not take insurance but it might help out with counseling. I still have to find out about that aspect.

I still pay cash for my prescription which averages out to $430 a month. That coupon does help and I hope they keep doing them. It can be very stressful trying to balance the budget but it does give me an incentive to taper or at least think about it.

How did you get your insurance? Is it through work or what? This insurance is through a college and is kind of forced on me which will be the case in the next couple of years for most people.

I would love to have an insurance where I can just pay a $30 co-pay for my prescription and save $400 a month. But that would make no sense to an insurance company. I think the only way I could get that is by getting a job that had some great insurance plan.

Insurance is confusing. I've been studying it for a year now and I still don't understand how it works.