It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Whatz ya reckon?

I think it'd be cool if the wider forum / non-moderator members were allowed to get more involved in some of the decisions traditionally made in moderator-land. I know that a lot of the time it's best to keep moderator discussion and decision making private. But there might be some cases where the wider forum could be called on for their input. Say if there's been a recent issue plaguing the forum ... like an influx of people pushing kratom ... u could see where members sit on the issue then use that knowledge to help guide decisions... Also just general ideas to improve the forum etc etc... like this!

Post subject: Can't sleep either, huh.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My first night here so I don't have a lot of suggestions but I can feel for a mushroom lovin compatriot who can't sleep either. Good luck! D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[spoil]BAN TJ![/spoil]

[spoil]just kidding![/spoil]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

glen bee wrote:
[spoil]BAN TJ![/spoil]

[spoil]just kidding![/spoil]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I don't know why, but that just made me laugh really hard! Thanks GB![/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

glen bee, I laughed at your post and hadn't even clicked on the boxes yet!!! After I clicked on the boxes, it was even funnier!!! I think you just won "funniest post ever" award!

TJ, Rule62 came up with some ideas to improve the forum in this thread: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7433&highlight=

The only idea I can come up with to improve the forum is to have Dr. J. buy us all new cars!! That would be a GREAT improvement and we'd get a bunch of new members in here too!! Dr. J., I'll take a corvette, and make it black!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That was pretty effin funny :lol:

I'm slow... it took me a minute to actually click on the boxes too... LOL Yep, funniest.post.ever.

We love ya tho TJ :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, and I think it would be a huge burden lifted off of those who always step up and reply to the newcomers posts:

We should definitely have a Frequently Asked Questions section. It would be easy to come up with a list of questions that are asked over and over again, like "My induction is tomorrow, what should I expect?", "I'm facing Surgery...", "I just switched to Suboxone from 1 gram a day of heroin or 800 mg of oxy and I feel like shit" or "I started Suboxone one day off of Methadone and i feel like im dying". You get the idea. Active members could volunteer to write up the answer for one question. Maybe Dr. J would be willing to review the answers for accuracy.

Another idea might be to post a few guidelines for new posters - like where to look for certain topics and how to search. Hopefully this will prevent folks from starting a new thread about a topic that has an active thread going, or a topic that his just been discussed at length recently. We could also suggest not introducing oneself at the end of a two year old thread, and not entitling their thread, "please, I really need help". They can mark their question urgent if it is, but should include something about the actual topic.

I would be happy to help in implementing any of this that people think is a good idea - or whatever other suggestions people have.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't know how to implement it, but the thing I would like to change is when people neglect to mention their dosage/duration/etc. when talking about certain things, mainly tapering. That is critical information people like me (a maintenance user who has yet to taper) really need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I like your idea TJ, but how would that happen?

Do you mean that mods could start a thread to ask our opinins on issues? That would be cool I guess.

I also like lillyvals ideas.

I just wish we could have a "like" button!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think that Lilyvals idea is absolutely wonderful! A FAQ section would be wonderful!!!!
Great idea lily!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a really good idea ... having more people put their basics in their signature ... ie amount of time on sub, dosage etc..

Something I've noticed is the signature facility is a bit "how ya goin" at the moment (do you guys say that in the US?) .. ie it's a bit hit-and-miss. To have your signature attached, you have to select it with each post rather than having it on by default.

I'm sure the fix wouldn't be that difficult. But if that was worked out, us members could start the convention of including our details...

Re banning that idiot teejay ... if he goes, then who'll be there to make everyone else look like angels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do think the " frequently asked questions " is a good idea,,,,,,
but,,,,,,,
A LOT of the information that let's say 'new' people are asking for is already in the 'sticky' or whatever you want to call it, in each section.
and I dont know for sure, but many people that come on here and post for the first time are kind of freaking out and just want an answer. that's just the feeling I get. Many times the answer they are looking for is in a sticky, or already somewhere else on the board, the top of Dr. J's blog, you know, not real "hard to find"

dont get me wrong, I do think it's a good idea,
but when someone comes on ,,, asking a question and in need of a little empathy/sympathy, Im not sure they'd be so encouraged to stick around if we posted the link to a "FAQs" page.
An individual answer is alot more welcoming.

honestly, it takes about the same amount of time to explain whatever they are asking, as it would to give them a link to whatever.

On the other hand, shy people would use it, people that are too afraid to ask.
so I think thats where we'd be ahead.

You guys understand what I mean right? Imagine coming on here again, for the first time in withdrawl, or starting the induction process, with a question thats REALLY bothering you.....bothering you SO much that you decide to sign up and join, then the first reply you get is hi welcome, here's our FAQ's page.

I don't know.
Thought it might be a valid point...............It would definitely be worth the time and effort to do one though, becuase Im sure there are times that people would read it and find the answers they are looking for.

I'd like to see a "permanent" thread of new ideas, ways to improve the site, ETC.

AND, I think it would be really cool to have some sort of section, some sort of way for people to "leave feedback"
about the forum in general, rules, moderators, how problems are dealt with, things like that.
I know in a ''perfect world" this would need to be anonymous, to get honesty, and Im not sure exactly how that would work.

Just a few of my thoughts. :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amber,

I agree with everything you just said. The FAQ would be OK, but I also think a lot of people who come here want that personal attention and I completely understand why they would want that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

God 90% of new posts on this forum can be answered with ....

SEARCH BUTTON... TOP OF THE SCREEN...

As much as I've felt like sayin it many times I don't think it'd go down that well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think that new members should have stricter posting rules. For ex there post must be reviewed by a mod before it can be approved for posting. They cannot start a new thread till they have 10 quality post not just a couple post that only have four words in them count! These are just one or two examples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I totally agree with you, Amber. What I had in mind was when people first register they get a little message on "tips for posting". It would request that the person post in the introductions section. That way we could welcome them and maybe get some backstory. It would also suggest looking at the current threads, and would point out the search option. Maybe that would cut down on some of the repetitiveness.
I guess it bugged me that someone started a new Rapid Detox thread when there was an active one that had just been started a few days before.

Bboy, unless being a moderator came with some kind of stipend, I don't think we can ask these volunteers to screen posts. I mean, that would take a huge amount of time. Also, I think we might intimidate people. I was hesitant to post my first time. If I knew my posts would have to be reviewed and approved I never would have gone ahead and joined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the FAQ idea is great. We can make the FAQ a sticky for easy reference. I've had the same idea before but never went anywhere with it because of time constraints. If you guys want to work on it, go for it! I will help.

If you guys see someone start a thread on a topic that already has an active thread, you can PM me or another mod and we can combine the two topics. Same if you see someone introduce themselves at the end of a 2 year old thread - we can make that into a new, separate topic so that person will get some replies.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly thats funny you mention that as soon as i posted my suggestions i said to myself that it would be way to much to ask for from the mods. Thats when i thought that there could be certain levels of mods. For ex there are mods that sole purpose would be approving new members post. This would soly be for new members only not every ingle post from every member would need to be approved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK we have to stop having new members make new member threads. Instead just make one big thread were new members can introduce themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like the FAQ idea and the ideas about tips for posting but agree many people are benefitted by the attention we give to the newcomer.

Bboy42287 wrote:
OK we have to stop having new members make new member threads. Instead just make one big thread were new members can introduce themselves.

I think that would make like a 100 page thread nobody would read through after a while. I know it meant a lot to me when I built up the courage to introduce myself & write out my story and it was amazing that members here actually read it and commented about it. Also if there was a huge thread I don't think there would be very good back and fourth with new people. Hey, I also hate it when there's a "new member" thread and they post an intro & 5 members reply and they never post again (??) but its worth it when there is a new sincere member joining IMO.

-gb