It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Also ... this one's done sometimes anyway . But if a thread needs to get locked or closed, can there be a post put up somewhere appropriate saying .. "We closed this thread because XYZ"? As we saw lately, people can read into things when action is taken with no consequences.

I know we're pretty sick addicts a lot of the time and don't know how to take care of ourselves let alone a forum but we can try ye?

I've seen a few times there can be "moderator backlash" after they intervene. Maybe having us know a bit better the thinking / rationale of a decision might make us understand more? This is myh middle child mediator side comin out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey all~Diary~I just wanted to let you know that I have a few hours available everyday, twice a day, while Tyler is
napping. Let me know WHATEVER you need me to do to help. If you want to post a list of the frequently asked
questions, and I can just start tackling those one at a time (the ones I have answers to of course), I would be more
than happy to do that.
For the questions that I don't have an answer to, I can get the answer either from other members, the internet (reputable
sources of course), or however possible. I have a few people I know personally that work in the addictions field so
I am sure they would help. Then when I have those compliled, I can submit it to you, or whoever you want, and
you can go over it for accuracy, and let me know what you need/want changed.
I just thought that I would offer my time, since I do have some.
Also, I quit smoking, so this could REALLY keep my hands busy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know, and if there is someone else that would like to work on that with me, where we could communicate via
email/phone...that would be great.

What do you guys think? Maybe once the list is finished we can post the "rough draft" and see if anyone has anything to add
and then type up a final copy.....and voila~you have your FAQ......

My schedule is wide open right now, so let me know. You have my email diary. Take care~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeJay wrote:

What kinda decisions?? hmm ... When the time comes that this place needs more moderators... can we nominate other members ... and have a say in who gets chosen? Mods should have the final say, but it'd be good to have us all involved in it a bit.

I will start a thread in the mod forum to talk about this. Speaking only for myself, I think I can get behind this idea.

Quote:
But if a thread needs to get locked or closed, can there be a post put up somewhere appropriate saying .. "We closed this thread because XYZ"? As we saw lately, people can read into things when action is taken with no consequences.

Yes, we can do that.

Quote:
I've seen a few times there can be "moderator backlash" after they intervene. Maybe having us know a bit better the thinking / rationale of a decision might make us understand more? This is myh middle child mediator side comin out.

I'm open to doing this, and I'll bring it up with Amber and Rule. Sometimes there are details about a decision that we can't share, but other than that I'm ok with explaining things. And you guys know you can always PM me with questions and I will answer to whatever extent I can.

On the flip side of this, can I ask everyone to take a minute before reacting to a moderator intervention...even if you don't understand or agree with the action taken?

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Goinstrong wrote:
Hey all~Diary~I just wanted to let you know that I have a few hours available everyday, twice a day, while Tyler is
napping. Let me know WHATEVER you need me to do to help. If you want to post a list of the frequently asked
questions, and I can just start tackling those one at a time (the ones I have answers to of course), I would be more
than happy to do that.
For the questions that I don't have an answer to, I can get the answer either from other members, the internet (reputable
sources of course), or however possible. I have a few people I know personally that work in the addictions field so
I am sure they would help. Then when I have those compliled, I can submit it to you, or whoever you want, and
you can go over it for accuracy, and let me know what you need/want changed.
I just thought that I would offer my time, since I do have some.
Also, I quit smoking, so this could REALLY keep my hands busy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you Kelly for offering to help. I will email you soon!

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to share and I think we did it for a bit............alot of moderators get on thread and post things they are familiar with but when something goes awry.........suddenly they are no longer a paricipant but they now have to put on their Moderator hat.

What about the generic Moderator that doesn't identify any Moderator but reminds or warns when things get to cross a certain line. I know it causes resentments for some and this way the Generic Moderator that sends the warning or whatnot.....is not identifiable but anyone on the thread could PM a Moderator if they have an issue. Then there are no personal conflicts like we have had in the past with this moderator or that one and keeps the Moderators more helpful then looking like the hall monitor.....

Does anyone remember that when we did that for awhile?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

there are A LOT of great ideas, on here.
good job everybody 8) 8) 8)

Just wanted to say that I can write up some "new poster guidelines/suggestions" over the weekend, if nobody else has volunteered.......... let me know.

and if anyone has something they think should ABSOLUTELY be included, just let me know :wink:

I do like the "nominate'' a moderator idea, the 'generic moderator' idea, and I really like what diary talked about, having a 'go between' person for moderator/rules/forum feedback/complaints. I for one,,, would like to know what members think of how we are doing, too. :wink:

I also think giving a reason for locking/moving/deleting anything, is good for EVERYONE

and I already said, I think the FAQ page would be great for the people too shy or nervous to post a thread,,,, or people who don't want to sign up, but need information.
My ONLY concern would be,,,,, if we starting giving 'generic' responses to people ........... like someone else already said, the personal attention to people's questions, is what makes "us" different....... (better!!) :wink:

I will try to pay more attention to when somebody introduces themselves on a really old thread. since THIS thread was started, I actually 'split' a topic/named a new thread,,,,,,

If I missed anything, sorry.

and Im really glad this discussion got started :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=59656#59656

Decided to go about this a different way.......... Here's a thread I started to get more ideas on
what we should have in "new poster guidelines"

its in the 'members only' section..............

Please let me know, if you have something to add, or something you don't like about what I have :wink:
I can take constructive criticism!!!!!

And like I said in the thread, I'll have time to 'go over' things this weekend.

Thanks for all your time and effort,,,,, EVERYBODY :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I will volunteer to work on the FAQ section. Do you have a list of questions, or do you want to work on coming up with a list as a group? Just let me know what you need me to do.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow-- this is a great thread, and I'm grateful for the input! I have a couple things to add--

One issure that I need to be aware of, unfortunately, is liability. I have to make sure that people know that this forum cannot replace their own physicians, or take too strong of a role in guiding care. I get a little nervous about being TOO specific with dosages and techniques; that type of information must be balanced with the comment 'of course, follow your DOCTOR'S recommendations, and use this information to help prompt discussion'-- or something along that line.

I've wondered about like buttons; either within the forum or in connection with the usual social networks like facebook or twitter. I've held off on adding those things, because of concerns about privacy. People can choose their own content to put out there, but if a thread is published, the writings from many people get published as well. It is a tough call, because the social networking is what really drives the growth of forums.

A 'like' button would be helpful, in that the 'good posts' would have an outlet for wider viewing.... given that we have never done any of that, it would likely be very powerful. BUT... the downside would be that an interaction within the forum could end up out on Facebook.

There are also ways to just have that stay within the forum-- where posts (or even members) become promoted based on feedback scores.... I can't do that with this version of phpBB, but I have been wanting to upgrade for some time, and that would be an option in a newer version.

I can't swing the new cars right now...

I really appreciate everybody's work, and especially the work of the moderators, who are volunteers, sticking their necks out....

What do people think about adding social networks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Um.. I'm know I'm pretty new here but not new to forums in general or recovery. I think adding a like button that could potentially publish messages is just about the worst idea ever. Sorry. I would never have participated in this site at all if I knew there was a chance my posts would show up on facebook in any way. I am already leery about posting too many details -not because of friends or family- but because I am a moderator on a large online community and I wouldn't want any dots connected. I have real friendships from my other community but I've kept my struggles to myself and I want it to stay that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree tinydancer,

When I mentioned a like button I wasnt thinking that it could connect to other sites. I was just thinking that it would be cool to have a quick way to say "I agree" with someones post on here.

I am more open now with the fact i am a recovering addict but I still dont announce it on facebook. I also feel I have to be selective who I tell I am on suboxone. Many people have judged me for this.

I do love this forum though and tell my doctor to spread the word about it to his other pts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did the SAME thing, Orange Doll :)

he was asking why I haven't been going to the meetings in town,( NOT the suboxone support group meeting)
but I did go for a bit to AA/NA and it did help especially in the begining, to know I wasn't all alone in my struggles.
anyways, Im just GLAD to hear someone else told thier dr. to send patients HERE :wink:

for the question about SOCIAL networking.............
Im 'out' on my facebook page, both about being an ex-junkie and on suboxone. I just don't let it effect me, what anyone else thinks. the important people in my life understand and support me, and I guess that's what matters.
BUT,
I dont think I would be able to be as "honest" as I have, here, if I knew posts/conversations could show up on facebook.
Even though most everybody that knows me, knows my BIG struggles,
there are DEFINITELY things I ONLY talk to "you guys" about, becuz I dont want to hurt my friends or family again, or make them worry about me. Like, when I've had cravings,,,,,, the reason i post it here, is to 'get it out' but I would not tell anybody close to me, like I said above, they'd just worry and
"hover" like a helicopter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

So, that's my opinion.............. I too, thought adding a "like" button would be just that,
"hey , I really like your post"
not, published elsewhere.

So, good to know!!!! LOL

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Those closest to me know all about my history but I don't advertise it at my place of work. I cherish my career (which requires a great deal of trust and respect) and I have a lot of work peeps on facebook. Social media and my career pretty much go hand in hand. If it were just about friends & family, I wouldn't care what was published on my facebook.

If we're only talking about an internal like button disconnected from any other site- then ignore my previous post. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That verifies what I thought. There are some platforms that have 'intra-forum popularity rankings' (for posts, not people). I have not see that in phpBB, what we are on-- but I will look into it. The Facebook thing is out--- but I encourage people to add the forum and blog to social networks bases on your own comfort level--- I.e. add technorati, stumleupon, etc-- doing that will help the forum come up in google or yahoo searches.

Thank you also for telling your docs about the site!

I am always working on visibility. I have sent dozens, maybe hundreds of 'form-emails' to docs on the certified doc lists. I have submitted the forum to search engines every couple months, for years-- I have a couple programs that each send to dozens of regional engines. I run paid ad campaigns a few times per year; that is a low- yield effort though, costing about $5 for every 50 people delivered to the forum. So adding 500 views per day-- not a big number-- by that route costs $50 per day. I am often experimenting with different keywords and other SEO...

I will print out the ideas and get back with more comments---- thanks again for taking this initiative!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't mind the social networks issue. I dunno if I'd take much part in it myself, because I really like the idea of this part of my life being discreet. I'd be really apprehensive to "like" Suboxforum on facebook... I've worked hard at giving the outward impression of being noble ... winning the nobel prize etc ... in case any prospective employers or recruiters start sniffing around.

Also keeping some distance between Suboxforum and my "real life" is what's kept me here so long. One of the reasons I left the 12-step groups was because I became too involved in the "scene". I'm enjoying the comfort of being distant ... not just metaphorically but geographically as well.

Like posts ... why not. It has its positives. I've been on forums where they've had "most popular poster" and had lil rankings on who had the most likes. Dunno about that though. Likes should be more about the posts, less about the person writing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm not sure if someone has already said this or not because there is not 2 full pages of posts and half of a third one, but I saw this a while ago and just thought of something.

It was a little hard to find the topic because there are sooo many different threads on here and whenever I search for anything, it is the most broad search engine. Rather than searching for a phrase, if any of the words that I search are found they all yield results. Example, if I was to search for "taper methods" the results of the search would show every thread that had the word "taper" or "methods", which is an overwhelmingly amount. Whenever I try to modify the search to search for "all the terms" or only search for the words that are in the topic title, it never works.

Whenever I come to this site, I always go all the way to the bottom of the page to look at the most recent topics. There aren't too many down there and because there are so many posts it allows a topic to almost be unseen if no one replies in the first 12 hours or something. It would be really nice if there was a thread or something that organized all of the posts in the order they were last replied. So rather than just having a list of the 15 most recent topics that have replies, it’d be great to have a bigger list. There are just so damn many threads to go in.

Once again someone could have said either of these and I didn't see because I having been keeping up with this thread, but fixing the search engine and having a bigger list of recent topics would be extremely helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahhyeah that's cool. Some forums have a "recent activity" window on the main page, and the moment anyone replies that thread appears at the top of "recent activity".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm in the middle of withdrawals so pardon me here - maybe it was my stupid ass computer at work, or I'm just technically retarded but I could not figure how to get my avatar image to save. An upload feature through the forums would be pretty neat, but than again it may already be there and I'm sleep deprived and retarded. Maybe I explained that wrong, the ability to host an image, that would only save if you have that avatar in use to not cause major bandwidth problems. I really think this is probably only an issue because I'm not quite savvy enough. I wanted the Grumpy Cat as my Avatar! Instead I'm the sleep deprived insane asylum sheep. Chyeahhhh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman wrote:
I'm not sure if someone has already said this or not because there is not 2 full pages of posts and half of a third one, but I saw this a while ago and just thought of something.

It was a little hard to find the topic because there are sooo many different threads on here and whenever I search for anything, it is the most broad search engine. Rather than searching for a phrase, if any of the words that I search are found they all yield results. Example, if I was to search for "taper methods" the results of the search would show every thread that had the word "taper" or "methods", which is an overwhelmingly amount. Whenever I try to modify the search to search for "all the terms" or only search for the words that are in the topic title, it never works.

Whenever I come to this site, I always go all the way to the bottom of the page to look at the most recent topics. There aren't too many down there and because there are so many posts it allows a topic to almost be unseen if no one replies in the first 12 hours or something. It would be really nice if there was a thread or something that organized all of the posts in the order they were last replied. So rather than just having a list of the 15 most recent topics that have replies, it’d be great to have a bigger list. There are just so damn many threads to go in.

Once again someone could have said either of these and I didn't see because I having been keeping up with this thread, but fixing the search engine and having a bigger list of recent topics would be extremely helpful.

I'm on my phone so I can't check for sure on this, but try searching for taper methods this way:
in search type taper+methods
I think that's the way to get a phrase. put a plus sign in. if that doesn't work, then it's going to be quotation marks. like this:
" taper methods"

I'm thinking phpBB uses the plus sign but like I said, on my p phone and can't be sure right now.

I've seen a hack(and used it on one of my sites running 3.8 vBulletin) that was a "thanks" button. similar to what you guys said about a "like" button. you used " thanks" button to thank someone for a post you appreciate or found useful. some settings let you only give a certain number of thanks per day, or you could do unlimited thanks.

( by hack I don't mean something negative, plug-ins for the forums are often called hacks, they modify the way the site works)

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hahaha wanttobefree,

I love Grumpy Cat! That cat looks so damn funny and makes me laugh every time I see it. I do like your insane asylum sleep deprived sheep too! Maybe he could be opiate withdrawal sheep or Im out of Suboxone sheep. Bahahaha I crack myself up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next