It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mr. glen bee Sir, you took the words right outta my mouth.

Bboy, why on earth do we have to have new members stop making new threads? If you don't like reading the new member stories, then don't read any threads titled "New Member"....BAM, problem solved.

I'm afraid the next thing you're gonna suggest is that we don't let people on here who can't spell. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

WOW - THIS is why I have trouble posting here.

Here's a thought , don't talk about Newbies as if we/they are aliens that invade your precious forum. We CAN
read what your writing here.

"Don't let them start a thread" - " Stricter posting rules" - and "a newbie must earn the right to start a thread. If they
have 10 quality posts"

Really? Because I read more than I post, and don't have a large number under my name?
There is someone on this very thread that has been a member less than 6 months, but makes sure she's posting on every
thread out there. That makes her better than me?

This isn't Rocket Science, IT'S A FORUM. And it's a forum to help Addicts for Christ's sake.

SOME of you people make me sick. Why don't you step away from your keyboard and get a life !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackie6612 wrote:

Really? Because I read more than I post, and don't have a large number under my name?
There is someone on this very thread that has been a member less than 6 months, but makes sure she's posting on every
thread out there. That makes her better than me?

This isn't Rocket Science, IT'S A FORUM. And it's a forum to help Addicts for Christ's sake.

SOME of you people make me sick. Why don't you step away from your keyboard and get a life !

[font=Comic Sans MS]No need to be passive aggressive about it. YOu can call me out by name. And while you're at it, could you kindly
point me in the direction of where ANYONE said that Goinstrong is better than Jackie1212. Leave me out of it.
I post on a lot of threads (not "every thread out there") because I enjoy supporting the recovering addict.
That doesn't mean that I don't have a life by any means. It just means that. No more, no less.

On another note, I agree with you Jackie, that speaking about new members like they can't even read this,
is just poor in taste. I for one, appreciate the newcomer. I also appreciated the feedback that I got when
I first joined this website. I enjoy reading the new threads, not to mention that it takes a lot of courage
to post that very first post for the first time.

As far as some of the members making you "sick", Just ignore us/them. It does no good to get upset over it.
I certainly hope that I am not one of them, I'm just trying to support other addicts here. Although not everyone
is going to like everyone on here, and that is ok with me too. That's why I take what I need and leave the rest.

I really am sorry that you got offended, but please dont attack me when I didn't do anything to you.[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jackie, lots of people lurk, or read more than they post, and that is totally fine. Personally, I'm glad that people are reading and if they ever get up the nerve to post, that's great too.

People are just brainstorming ideas in here, so I wouldn't take what was said about newbies personally. I think sometimes people get frustrated when a new member posts, gets a lot of feedback, and then we never hear from them again. But that doesn't mean that we're going to put a posting minimum on newcomers before they can start a new thread. Sometimes people are desperate and just need to reach out and they should be able to do that.

To those members who are frustrated by the drive-by posters, you could add a little something to your welcome message when a new person introduces themselves. Just encourage newbies to post on other member's threads, because I think we ALL like it when people reply to the topics we start.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Welcome Again
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:30 pm 

Hi Jackie,

We've Welcomed you once before and let me say it again, Welcome to our forum!

I know you're more of a lurker and that's fine. Hopefully you are getting some good stuff from our members here. Please keep in mind that this section we are in is called the Freestyle section and it is one that is considered non moderated. People can speak their minds here on whatever is bothering them. This really is not a good place for someone new to start reading but we have no control over what people choose to read. And don't forget you are dealing with addicts here, we don't tend to have all our marbles in one place if you know what I mean. Look at the larger picture. The vast majority of members here are caring, helpful people. Yes, some will have opinions others don't like but we still get along pretty well.

Nice to see you post again,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's also the opinion of one person... Kinda like how there's the occasional controversial politician, but that shouldn't blight how we feel about the political system as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok I should been more clear. When I made that post it was after I read like 4 new member post that had 10 words total for each thread. This is cluttering the forum for active threads that need attention were people are having a serious situation that need help but we miss their post, this is soley my opion which im entittled too Jackie. I have no problem with new members introducing themselves but please say more than hi my name is so and so glad to be here, that’s all im saying. Like DOAQ said this is just a brain storming thread so I brought it up to you guys. But I see you disagree so it was a bad idea on my part so my apologies. Lol Romeo if that was the case I wouldn’t be here because even with spell check I still can’t spell words correctly. Thank god I’m not a English major and my gf reads/edits all my papers before I hand them in.

Jackie GoingStrong is one of the most supportive helpful members here. So you might want to get your facts straight before you make comments like that about members you don’t know anything about. Take a chill pill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bboy42287 wrote:

Jackie GoingStrong is one of the most supportive helpful members here. So you might want to get your facts straight before you make comments like that about members you don’t know anything about. Take a chill pill

I NEVER mentioned anyone by name.
What I merely meant was to ask, what do you base ones "Newbie" status on? Will it be "Start date" OR "Number of posts" ??

That said, I don't know what "FACTS" you want me to get straight. Some people post 2 or 3 times a day and just joined while others, just joined, and rarely post.

I do understand your frustration and I realize that I have yet to even start my own thread because I'm afraid of
responses like I've gotten here.

I DO appreciate your apology, thank you BUT ..........

As far as you telling me to take a "Chill pill"
That's a brilliant suggestion to a recovering pill addict. Thanks I really appreciate that one.

Post subject: Geez..............
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Way to go all you caring people. And for all of you (because we are addicts we think every post is about us) the bottom line is that new posters can come to this section. So we were rude and condensending to someone who only shared her concern by letting her know this is an unmoderated section (well sort of- if you read past post)

Are we turning into AA now!!!!!!!!! I remember I went to my first or second AA meeting and the guy that was leading the "Beginners Meeting" asked if any of us had any questions. I finally got enough courage to ask a question and the guy said "What you need to do is shut your f'ing mouth and open your ears" Guess what I never went to that meeting again.

If we want to make this so that no one that has been around for a while comes upon this section we can set it up for certain members 1 yr or more..........or not. I have many post on here but I lurked for a long time and remember most of us use this for recovery. No reason to make Jackie feel like shit when she shares her feelings. I could care less about number of post...........actually I would remove it. Are we going to start having Gold, Platinum and Silver members now. I know we are anonymous on here I swear just because a couple of people show up at an AA meeting with a bumper sticker on their car that says AA saved my life. Sorry I am just not that ready to broadcast to everyone I am an alcoholic and addict.

And seriously guys I have been around for awhile and showed my ass a few times but if you go back and look at some of those post.......Can you imagine someone saying since this is unmoderated "That is the stupidist f'king idea I ever heard of"

Let's remember the number of post, time on the board or race...hair color, male or female we all are in this shit together can we try to remember that.

By the way this post is not directed to any one single individual so if you hold a platinum card with some credit card company I was not talking about you.........................!!!! Seriously we are a forum not WEB MD..........

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jackie, you do have several good points to consider, but you did sort of, in my opinion attack Goinstrong for what she does on the forum. She does post a lot and she always welcomes the newbies as best she can... it's something that is very important to her in her recovery and you acted as if she needs to get a life because of this. We all use this forum in different ways for our own personal recovery, and Kelly uses this as a way to reach out to new members and try to offer support to everyone she can. She sure has supported me since I joined and that meant a lot to me in the beginning. So many members welcomed me, Goinstrong, Romeo, Rule, Taurus, Discepan... numerous others.

No, she's no better than you in the way that you come on and lurk without posting. I don't think you should shy away from posting just because of some of the responses you've gotten here. The freestyle board probably isn't the best board to start out on... Have you formally introduced yourself yet? Why don't you try that, not on the freestyle board, but maybe in introductions. I can bet ya that you'll get a lot of great support from a lot of different members, and probably a great deal of support from Goinstrong...

That's where I have to agree that when someone comes on, they may not want to just read thru the forum to find their answer. I know I lurked for awhile, I read a lot of threads and different posts, but actually joining and telling my personal story and getting feedback and support directed personally towards me, meant a great deal. A FAQs thread would be very helpful to those that are too shy to post their story would be great and I think we'd actually be helping a lot of people who don't have the courage to post! I would hate to discourage a new member from posting tho, their own personal stories and get feedback and answers for them personally. I really think that means a lot to most people, it did me.

I also can assure you that Bboy did not mean anything by telling you to take a chill pill. I can promise you, he didn't mean anything by it. He absolutely did not mean for you to take an actual pill... it's a form of expression, surely you've heard that before. I suggest you calm down just a little bit and open up to the folks on here and let them support you... don't take everything so literally...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Invis

And so should you...........................I am sure I did not mean that literally..................

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For the record, Bboy has already apologized above and retracted his suggestion that newbies should be required to have a certain number of posts before they can start new threads. He said he realized it wasn't the best idea.

Some good suggestions for forum improvements have been made in this thread. I'm really glad that you guys care enough about this place to want to put in the effort to make it better for everyone.

Personally, I'd be bummed if this thread devolves into an argument instead of being a constructive discussion as TJ probably intended it to be. I'm speaking as a forum member here NOT as a moderator. I was really excited about the participation in this thread, about getting to work on implementing some of the suggestions, and I'm hoping that more good suggestions will be given. Maybe we can all find a way to give each other feedback or to disagree while still being cool to each other, remembering that we're all here because we want to give and receive support in our recovery.

In fact, reading back through all the posts, there are already a lot of good examples of people doing just that, which is encouraging. I'm going to shut up now, because I want to hear what you guys think will improve the forum.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow dudes,

I have been/am a member of various Internet forums over the years and this is BY FAR the most accepting of new members. A lot of forums will say STfU N00B until you are a member for like 5 years.

Jackie - just post and stop worrying about if you are accepted or not. As long as you're not a troll you will do fine. I remember seeing your first few posts and thinking damn, that girl is sure defensive, reminds me of myself. Listen, we are all addicts here and most addicts are defensive, it's kind of built in to our DNA so just join in, it's all good.

Welcome To the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ReRaise wrote:
Invis

And so should you...........................I am sure I did not mean that literally..................

Jim

I'm trying hard to follow this....what does that mean? LOL...I can be a little slow sometimes.....

Post subject: End all
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you don't understand .....I don't know what to tell you. The bottom line is I did not know who Jackie was talking about and as we all know BBOY can speak for himself.

We have to talk to people a certain way and maybe we could say I understand and I take back what I say and don't want you feel like you can't post............not take a chill pill........go post in another section.......you need to relax...... Seriously guys did we forget where we started in recovery. Everything pissed me off and if someone said something negative to me ....we might be rolling on the ground when I first started recovery.

There has been some great ideas and some not so........but it has been worthy of discussion. DOQ nor do I want an argument because I don't play fair and I know that. Just saw that post and it rubbed me wrong because it felt as though some of us forgot we all have this disease and Jackie if you have been lurking you can see by the change in Mods in the past 1 year we are not exactly the loving family some think we are........That's all I have to say. I look forward to see other ideas that people have to share to make the forum better.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Reading back through this thread, there have already been several ideas mentioned on how to improve the forum by several different members. Here they are:

#1---I think it'd be cool if the wider forum / non-moderator members were allowed to get more involved in some of the decisions traditionally made in moderator-land.

#2---A FAQ section. (This one has been answered by DoaQ, but to the best of my knowledge, we still don't have any volunteers.)

#3---post a few guidelines for new posters - like where to look for certain topics and how to search. We could also suggest not introducing oneself at the end of a two year old thread. (This one has been answered too, PM a moderator and they'll separate the message into a new thread)

#4---I would like to change is when people neglect to mention their dosage/duration/etc. when talking about certain things, mainly tapering. That is critical information people like me (a maintenance user who has yet to taper) really need.

#5--- To have your signature attached, you have to select it with each post rather than having it on by default.

#6---I'd like to see a "permanent" thread of new ideas, ways to improve the site, ETC.

#7--- I think it would be really cool to have some sort of section, some sort of way for people to "leave feedback"
about the forum in general, rules, moderators, how problems are dealt with, things like that.

#8---I think that new members should have stricter posting rules. Update: Thats when i thought that there could be certain levels of mods. For ex there are mods that sole purpose would be approving new members post.

#9---Regarding the Freestyle section: If we want to make this so that no one that has been around for a while comes upon this section we can set it up for certain members 1 yr or more..........or not.

I'm sorry if I missed anyone's suggestion and I'm sorry if some of the questions were already answered and I missed it.

I guess my point of this post is to get clarification on what we're gonna do with the ideas that have already been submitted? I know from experience when you ask folks about ideas to improve something and they think they're being ignored or put off, that's a guaranteed way to get them to never make positive suggestions again.

This is absolutley not a shot at anyone, moderator or non-moderator. I'm just trying to make sure no one's suggestion(s) falls through the cracks and they don't feel slighted or left out because their idea wasn't addressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I would like to nominate Romeo to be the forum secretary. :lol: Seriously though, thanks for rounding up all the suggestions and putting them in one post. I am going to go through them and give a status update.

#1---I think it'd be cool if the wider forum / non-moderator members were allowed to get more involved in some of the decisions traditionally made in moderator-land.

--> I like this idea and we (the mods) have talked a bit about how we could implement this. If it's a situation like the one TJ gave as an example - a forum-wide influx of people promoting the use of Kratom - I think we could possibly start a thread and gather opinion on how that effects the forum and how we should handle it. And I'm sure there are or will be other general type issues that effect the forum that would be good for public discussion.

Where I get concerned is when a particular member is violating forum rules, trolling or whatever - I'm less comfortable with having a public discussion about that because I can see how easily that might escalate into an all-out flame war, and that is never good for the health of a forum. I have participated on other forums where members would call each other out very rudely and publicly, starting a thread titled "Why Member X is an A**hole and Should be Banned" and then it would just turn into a war. So I guess we have more thinking/talking to do here.

Let me ask you guys this: What moderator decisions do you think forum members should be allowed to be more involved in? And what would that involvement look like (public discussion, chat meeting, PM, etc)?

#2---A FAQ section. (This one has been answered by DoaQ, but to the best of my knowledge, we still don't have any volunteers.)

--> I am compiling a list of questions that could go in the FAQ. I am thinking that the FAQ could be a sticky at the top of the forum section, so we could have a FAQ about side effects, a FAQ about Stopping Sub, etc. If you want to PM questions to me or another mod, please do so.

I will start posting the questions in an Under-Construction FAQ thread and hopefully everyone will pitch in to write answers to questions that they are interested in answering. We can also compile useful links to point people to. When the questions are answered, we can post the FAQ and of course people will be welcome to add new questions as they come up or suggest edits or whatever. How does that sound? I am totally open to suggestions on how to get this done, this is just the best that I've come up with so far.

#3---post a few guidelines for new posters - like where to look for certain topics and how to search. We could also suggest not introducing oneself at the end of a two year old thread. (This one has been answered too, PM a moderator and they'll separate the message into a new thread)

--> Amber, Rule and I haven't talked about writing guidelines yet, but I can't really see why there would be any objection to it. Does anyone want to get started on this? Someone could start a topic to get suggestions and feedback and get the ball rolling here.

#4---I would like to change is when people neglect to mention their dosage/duration/etc. when talking about certain things, mainly tapering. That is critical information people like me (a maintenance user who has yet to taper) really need.

--> Maybe we can encourage people to post this information in those new-poster guidelines. I think someone had the idea of putting it in the signature line (or am I crazy?)

#5--- To have your signature attached, you have to select it with each post rather than having it on by default.

--> You can set your signature to be attached by default through your profile page. At the top of the forum, click on Profile, then scroll down to Preferences and select Yes for "always attach my signature" then hit Submit at the bottom of the page. If that doesn't work, please let me know and I will try to figure out what's up.

#6---I'd like to see a "permanent" thread of new ideas, ways to improve the site, ETC.

-->I changed this thread to a Sticky Post so it will remain at the top of the Freestyle section; that's about as permanent as I can make it.

#7--- I think it would be really cool to have some sort of section, some sort of way for people to "leave feedback"
about the forum in general, rules, moderators, how problems are dealt with, things like that.

-->I had an idea that the forum members could nominate someone to work as a go-between/messenger so that members could feel more comfortable giving feedback to the moderators. A member could PM their issue/feedback to the go-between, and the go-between would communicate the issue to us, keeping the member's name out of it if they wished. Then the mods can figure out how to address the issue/feedback and we could communicate that through the go-between. So far, I've talked a little about this with Amber and she's on board, but I haven't gotten any feedback from Rule yet. Obviously it's not a totally developed idea and I'm not sure if we can make it work or if it would even be useful. Still, I thought I'd let you know what ideas we're tossing around.

Feedback about moderators can also be addressed to Jamez70 or to Dr Junig, people have done so in the past and both of them have brought issues to the mods without naming the member(s) who contacted them.

Personally, I appreciate getting feedback about how I am doing my job and how to make things better, and I'm pretty certain the other mods do too. We are volunteers and often learning as we go along, dealing with new & different situations, and we are human and bound to make mistakes at times. I'd just like to mention here that this forum is also our recovery support and community and we are trying our best to make sure the forum is welcoming, that it runs smoothly, and that the information here is as accurate as possible. So if we do something that angers or upsets you, please try to give us the benefit of the doubt. PM us a question for clarification, or to make a suggestion of how something could have been handled differently. All of us are open to dialog.

If you have general forum feedback...maybe it could go in the Members Only section? As long as the discussion stays constructive and civil it should be fine.

#8---I think that new members should have stricter posting rules. Update: Thats when i thought that there could be certain levels of mods. For ex there are mods that sole purpose would be approving new members post.

--> My opinion on this is that we already have so many people who register but never post, I really don't want to do anything that would discourage new members from posting here. I understand the frustration with certain posting behaviors that prompted this suggestion; maybe there are other ways to address that though? Creating those Posting Guidelines might help. We can also all try to welcome newcomers, show them the ropes and encourage them to post in other members' threads besides their own.

Also, if you guys notice a newcomer posting the same topic in multiple sections, feel free to let a mod know so we can consolidate the topics in the appropriate area.

#9---Regarding the Freestyle section: If we want to make this so that no one that has been around for a while comes upon this section we can set it up for certain members 1 yr or more..........or not.

-->What do you guys think about this? I don't know if it's even possible to set the section up that way. Is the idea here to not scare newcomers off? If so, maybe just trying to keep up the civility in here would help.

So this post is crazy long, which just goes to show that putting together a group effor to improve a community takes a lot of work. What do you think we should prioritize getting done? How can you help?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Great post Romeo! Way to get this back on track.

I would love to help with a FAQ section but I cant right now. I will be starting a new full time job soon and still have to finish my outpatient treatment.

I also posted that it would be cool to have a "like button" or some way to acknowledge that you agree with a posters advice. Now if I agree with what somone posts I have to start a new post just to say it. But maybe that is a good thing because people get more responses. Also, I know this place is run by volunteer people and I dont know if it would cost money to add a like button. Or if the whole format of the forum would have to change or something.

Anyway, I dont have any more ideas now and I hope some people have time to work on a FAQ section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Orange doll wrote:
Great post Romeo! Way to get this back on track.

I would love to help with a FAQ section but I cant right now. I will be starting a new full time job soon and still have to finish my outpatient treatment.

I also posted that it would be cool to have a "like button" or some way to acknowledge that you agree with a posters advice. Now if I agree with what somone posts I have to start a new post just to say it. But maybe that is a good thing because people get more responses. Also, I know this place is run by volunteer people and I dont know if it would cost money to add a like button. Or if the whole format of the forum would have to change or something.

Anyway, I dont have any more ideas now and I hope some people have time to work on a FAQ section.

We did ask Jamez about adding a Like button and he said it couldn't be easily done, sorry.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dunno... this thread isn't giving me much faith in that idea!!!

What kinda decisions?? hmm ... When the time comes that this place needs more moderators... can we nominate other members ... and have a say in who gets chosen? Mods should have the final say, but it'd be good to have us all involved in it a bit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next