It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Drugs like oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, etc. were made in order to help patients with severe pain. The intentions were never for the drug to be abused, but unfortunately they were. Pain killers, specifically opiates, have been around for many generations and it wasn't until just recently the drug became heavily abused by many, including me. Now because there are a huge number of people dependent on the drugs doctors haven't been prescribing them the same. Even though I never took part in it, there are so many doctors that are in it for the money and write as many scripts as they want to. Not every doctor does this and for the majority of the United States it is hard to acquire the pills in many states. It's sad that it has come to the point it has, but the ones who are in need and rely on the pills to function without the pain have to suffer much more. Certainly I am not one of the patients who have to go through the pain, but for the people who take as prescribed deserve this?

What is your opinion on this subject, and do you believe that we as addicts have put these people in more pain and agony regarding pain management? Do these pain killers deserve to be as regulated as they currently are and becoming?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just saw this post and I'm frankly surprised that no one has responded to it yet.

The thing I find amusing about the subject is depending upon who you ask or what article or study you read you'll get one of two different answers: 1) Opiates are OVER prescribed in this country; 2) OPIATES are UNDER prescribed and pain is under treated.

What's the real truth? Probably somewhere in between. In some practices they may over prescribe it and in others they may under prescribe it. And yes, I do feel guilty - to a degree. I will also say this - and I fully expect some argument over this - I ALSO partially blame my pain management doctor. She just kept raising my dose every time I went in. She'd ask about my pain level and I always said it was a "10" and she never questioned it. My condition is not progressive yet she took my word for it every time. And when I got copies of my records after I got on suboxone and left her practice, I saw what she wrote in her notes. She actually wrote on different occasions that I went to my appts "SLURRING MY WORDS". Yet she kept writing me more and more scripts of more and more powerful meds. Now I fully take responsibility for MY actions, but I also think she should take responsibility for HER actions as well.

But I do feel horrible for the people who really do need pain management and end up having to deal with some asshole doctor who has a bad taste left in his mouth from dealing with asshole addicts like us. Then that poor schmuck can't get his/her legitimate meds that they legitimately REQUIRE. And yes, I feel that is partially my fault. But I can't go backwards. All I can do now is to move forward and try to be a better person now. And that's what I'm trying to do.

Great topic!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.