It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there guys. I need information.
I have been on subs 4mg a day for 42 days. Its now time for me to begin the tapering and jump off process.

I would just like to know how hard will it be? How bad am I going to feel? Once I jump off, I mean. I'll be fine on the taper.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Visa,
From what I've seen from others and experienced there really is no good answer. Some people taper down so low and so slow and still have a rough time and others jump off a little higher like me and don't have it that bad. Some people taper low and get off easy and some jump high and go through despair. I jumped off at around 6mgs after 4 years and didn't have but maybe 7 days of acute withdrawals. However, I had the extreme fatigue and tiredness for 1.5 months and then it slowly started getting better. I had lack of motivation for almost 2.5 months. Other than that I felt good fairly quickly for the high dose I jumped at. You just have to want it, the acute withdrawals suck but you can push through them. If you just stay with it after a few days it just gets easier and easier. If I had to do it all over again the only thing I would do different is start exercising earlier. I started exercising at around 70 days off and about 2 weeks after is when I noticed my "normal" wasn't normal before and I felt great. Stay active throughout the whole process, find healthy things to do, take vitamins, etc. There are several things you can do to help make it easier, but time is what you'll need most. Give yourself time and fight and have the eye of the tiger and you will wake up one day and realize time flew by and you are clean. I put a 3 week marker on my calendar when I was on day 1 because I thought that was a good goal. When I remembered it was there I was 45 days off. I don't have alot of clean time, getting close to 4 months, but I'm proud to be here. Lastly, what helped me the most was this forum, just reading not posting. But seeing other successes and people in the same boat was helpful. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer, or try anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't get QuietAddict's (non)taper method of jumping off sub at such a high dose! Everyone is different, but why make the suffering worse than it has to be? I had a 5 yr heroin run terminating at 1 gr/day, then went to oral methadone tabs for a yr, then started sub at 16 mg/day. Over the next yr and a half, i tapered down gradually to .5 mg/day of sub. The hardest part of the taper was at the very end with the small doses, especially if i tried to skip days with no sub. I had several panic attacks where i felt extremely uneasy and anxious, different than normal withdrawal, almost to the point where i questioned my own sanity. When these episodes occurred, i would promptly insert another 1 or 2 mg under my tongue and the discomfort/panic would subside. Eventually i was able to start skipping days without discomfort and then i was finally able to stop altogether. For me, the key was a very gradual taper; i think this is the way to go if you have a big habit/high tolerance.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

phoebus wrote:
I don't get QuietAddict's (non)taper method of jumping off sub at such a high dose! Everyone is different, but why make the suffering worse than it has to be? I had a 5 yr heroin run terminating at 1 gr/day, then went to oral methadone tabs for a yr, then started sub at 16 mg/day. Over the next yr and a half, i tapered down gradually to .5 mg/day of sub. The hardest part of the taper was at the very end with the small doses, especially if i tried to skip days with no sub. I had several panic attacks where i felt extremely uneasy and anxious, different than normal withdrawal, almost to the point where i questioned my own sanity. When these episodes occurred, i would promptly insert another 1 or 2 mg under my tongue and the discomfort/panic would subside. Eventually i was able to start skipping days without discomfort and then i was finally able to stop altogether. For me, the key was a very gradual taper; i think this is the way to go if you have a big habit/high tolerance.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your opinions and advice very much so. I agree, this seems like the best method. I have been taking 4mg a day for 45 days, & I think its time to go to 3mg officially.
Thank you for the help! Still not sure about the time frame it should take to taper, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey again visa,
Again I don't have taper experience but would like to reply as someone who reads a ton of post on here. I'd say look up laddertipper and diary of a quitters threads. They are older but both, I think, had what seemed a very good taper method. You should go slow and listen to your body. Please don't think my previous reply was me trying to convince you it was better to just jump high, that's not the case. I just didn't have the will power or time to taper. I would take all the time you need and make sure you're ready. Best of luck to you, please keep us posted