It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How I Got Here :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey y'all! My name is Brandi.
I'm 22 years old, from Tennessee. Addiction has, unfortunately, defined my life from a young age. My parents both, as well as my extended family, have struggled with addiction as well as mental health issues. It was a perfect storm for a crazy, junkie offspring ha. My journey to opiate dependence is fairly typical. From lortabs at age 12 to percocet at 16 eventually landed me dependent on 40-80mg oxymorphone daily at age 22. I tried Suboxone treatment at age 20 (basically only to sell), followed by traditional 12-Step inpatient rehab at 21 (relapsed the day I was released), another attempt at Suboxone right before my 22nd birthday last December (couldn't stop smoking weed to pass UA), another rehab stint this past January (NA,IOP, Vivitrol, sober living - 72 days of clean time before my last relapse), and now finally I have been blessed with an AWESOME bupe office. My induction was a week ago last Friday...so today is day 9 at 12mg/daily. One of my counsellors from the inpatient facility I frequented began working at this office right after I was released in February and loved it. She, via Facebook, convinced me to make an appointment and give it another try. The office, obviously, has 3 bupe providers (as well as group/individual counselling, primary care, endocrine services, and an overall comfortable vibe I have never experienced with another Suboxone office). I'm very blessed to have found this doctor. The only hiccup so far has been some very irritating side effects. I'm angry or agitated 90% of the time. I've had a hard time getting regular sleep. After my induction I slept 2.5 days, only waking up to dose and eat. The past week, though, I have been unable to sleep more than a couple hours at a time. And the headaches, my God, Suboxone gives me some of the worst headaches of my life. Headaches that seem invincible when it comes to OTC meds. I've also been very overheated, constantly sweating while the air sits on 65. I've also developed a horrible picking habit, one I have always struggled with in active addiction, but never ever to this extent - I feel like a meth head when I look in the mirror. Anyway, sorry I'm so long winded. I'm glad to be a member of this forum as I have used it as reference for years. Hopefully this third go around with buprenorphine will be the charm. If anyone has any suggestions regarding side-effects, please let me know. I'll get around to posting in Side Effects about it also. I'm hoping to get gabapentin (for restlessness, mood swings, and residual back pain) and clonidine (sp? for the sweats and insomnia) at my next appointment on Friday. Do y'all think that will help any? I'm diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, and ADD but am currently only taking Suboxone as far as medications are concerned. My doctor wanted to "let the dust settle" from induction before prescribing anything else. And any idea about the headaches? Hope to get to know y'all! xoxo Brandi

Post subject: Re: How I Got Here :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:34 pm 

Hi Brandi, Welcome! So happy you are joining us and I wish you much luck with your suboxone journey! I am so sorry that you are experiencing such headaches! I was so lucky as I stopped taking opiates and started suboxone 36 hours later. It is a miracle for me. I started at 24 mgs one year ago and I am now at 8 mgs. I really want to go to 6 but have not even tried it yet. I wish you much luck and look forward to talking with you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:48 pm 

Hey Brandi :)

I'm from Tennessee too! I've been on suboxone for almost four years now. When I first started taking it, I had headaches and it made me pretty tired too. That disappeared after about a month or so. It really does take a good month or two for ur body to adjust. The thing to remember is that it will adjust though.

Suboxone has literally changed my life and I don't wanna even think about where I'd be right now without it. My advice to u is to stick it out with the side effects, it will get better. U will get ur life bk, anything is better than active addiction. Plus having a clinic or Dr that u like and treats u well is a big blessing.

Welcome!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:25 am 

The two ladies who already replied have given you awesome info. Sometimes people don't take well to the naloxone in suboxone and it can cause headaches. It doesn't get into your system unless you swallow the spit after the suboxone dissolves. Try spitting the saliva out instead. Or, like jennjenn says you can wait and your body will become accustomed to the medication. Congratulation on finding a good suboxone provider! It makes such a difference!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with what the others have said. I had really bad headaches for about 4-6 weeks after starting Suboxone, but they eventually went away. I, too, believe it is the naloxone that causes it, so if you do as Amy suggested and spit it out after you've absorbed the buprenorphine you should do better.
Morphing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:03 am 

Hi Brandy,
After reading your story ,imo, is you may be having these heavy side effect because of tolerance.
Your intake when in active addiction was in the 40 to 80mg range. Right?
The 12mgs your taking has blown past this level of tolerance. Maybe talk with your dr about a lower daily dose.

Or wait it out till your body adjusts. Theses headaches, Everyone in the begining gets them. Time will take care of it, but i know when i dropped down a mg or two the first 2 weeks my side effects subsided...

Hang in there, your on the right track and doing well .....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank y'all so much for your warm welcomes! reminds me of NA without all the ORT judgement lol :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey y'all! i went to my doctor Friday and he kept me at 12mg and gave me Neurontin 300mg/4x a day and OH MY GOODNESS what a difference. It's as if the Neurontin has eased all the negative side effects i was experiencing. or my body is just adjusting. or a mix of both. also i fessed up to my counselor that i'd been smoking wax to avoid a strike (my doctor's office is so understanding of the nature of addiction, you relapse and keep going) BUT she told me they don't even look at THC levels because it isn't harmful and has no negative or dangerous reaction with Suboxone. I'm forever amazed at how put together this office is. In my area i cannot stress enough how rare and special that is, perhaps one of a kind. i went to a contemporary church today. i'm spiritual, not religious. but anytime a group of people gather to pour out love and hope the energy is beautiful. just so blessed to be feeling so good.
xoxox
Brandi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:32 pm 

I'm happy for you that your doctor's appointment went so well on Friday! That is all good news! My doctor is similarly chilled out. He doesn't mind if you slip up here and there as long as you tell him about it. Although you can only test positive for MJ three months in a row and he will kick you out.

Your doctor sounds awesome! Congratulations on finding such a good one!

Amy