It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so I have tried and tried again to find a doctor to take me while I am on the Washington State medical. I am on the CHPW insurance and I cannot find a doc that will take me. I can find a doc that will accept my insurance, but will not take me without a referral from another doc needing the suboxone. I have called every doc I can and cant get anyone to help. This is addiction is totally ruining my life and I cant get help from anyone. Can someone here please help?!?! Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding a doctor to take your insurance. It's so frustrating when we decide to get help and have legitimate health insurance that's just not accepted. Have you tried the online doctor locators? You can try suboxone-directory.com, samhsa.gov, suboxone.com, and naabt.org. They all have online doctor locators/matching systems. I found my doctor through NAABT. I hope you find something soon. In the meantime, we're here for you. Please post as often as you need. Hang in there and good luck. Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My psychiatrist, that prescribes me suboxone, does not advertise with any of those "find a doctor" websites and I think only has a dozen or so patients on suboxone. Try calling some of the psychiatrist's in you network, you never know. I found my doctor completely by accident. Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks hatmaker and smoothie for your info. So I tried those sites and was on the phone with a nice lady who tried her damnedest to help me out by finding a doc. No luck. I did a bunch of calling myself to almost every doc on the lists in washington, also with no luck. I just dont get it. This welfare insurance sucks. Im a single dad trying to make it, and I know it was my fault for letting it go this far, but now I am reaching out for help, and cant get it. I have been trying to find a doc to help for months. This is so frusterating. I havent tried the psyciatrist yet, I will work on that one tomorrow. As for now, thank you very much you two, I appreciate the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry your having such a hard time. Like I said before you should call some of the psychiatrist's on your list, you'd be suprised how many are prescribing it. I know 3 people locally that get suboxone from thier psychiatrist. Make those calls tomorrow and see what happens, if anything they might point you in the right dirrection. Have you tried any doctors outside your community? Some have to drive an hour or so for thier monthly visit, it's a small price to pay. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It really sucks that you're reaching out for help and are having so many problems. I think Smoothy's idea about calling psychiatrists is a really good one. Many just don't "advertise" that they prescribe Suboxone. And unfortunately so many sub doctors deal in cash only, although who knows why that is. That's not to say some of us aren't able to use our insurance - I know I am. Have you tried your primary care doctor? Maybe s/he can refer you to someone? Do you happen to have a chronic pain condition? When it comes to prescribing suboxone for pain, any doctor can do that. They don't need the waiver unless they are prescribing it for addiction treatment. Maybe that can be a last-ditch effort on your part.

Again, good luck and please keep us posted on what you find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I am going to an assessment on monday at a place called DAPC in town. I will have to go to class for two hours 3 times a week, but they will give me a referral to a doc that prescribes suboxone. Thats what I am told anyway. I havent asked them directly but will find out monday. So hopefully this is the start of a new beginning. Wish me luck and thanks for all the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations, Chris. I hope this turns out well. This could be a solid step in the right direction for you. I'll be looking for your next post to see how it went. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Frustration,,....Thats all I can really say. I went to DAPC this morning and had an assessment, filled out all the paperwork, talked to a counselor, then took a piss test while someone watched, which was a little uncomfortable, and the nice ladies who handled me at first said I would get a referral from the guy I check in with later in the day. I am also supposed to go to classes three times a week and they said if I had a relapse they would put me in inpatient for 30 days. I told them they cant do that because of the fact that I work part time and I am a single dad. They basically told me thats the deal, which I didnt have a problem with. So I go back at 4pm to check in, and I have to do this every tuesday at 4 as well as the classes, but I get there and the guy tells me that they dont give referrals. So I tell him that I talked to the doctors office and they are the ones who told me to come here to DAPC, get an assessment and get referred back to them and that is the only reason I was there. He was pretty rude and short and said they will not give referrals. So now I am back to square one. And I am kind of worried because DAPC is tied in with welfare and now that they are all aware that I have an addiction like this I dont want anything to happen regarding my son. I dont want them to take him or anything like that if I do relapse or what not. Which I am sure I will because I cant do this cold turkey. I have tried and it is just too much to handle, especially trying to take care of my son and work, just the everyday activities that involve life. I know that sounds weak, and I am not weak, but this shit really has a hold on me. All I am trying to do here is get something that will help me overcome the addiction because I cant do it cold turkey adn I dont see a reason why this should be so damn hard. I dont know what to do now, except what I have always done, which is spend the money I dont have on something that I feel like I cant live without. So yes,..I am a little frustrated right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry, Chris. It sounds like you wasted an entire day only to get the run-around. No wonder you're frustrated! Although I don't know for sure, I wouldn't worry about losing your son. Child protective services agencies need to have an allegation that a parent has done something abusive or neglectful (specifically) in order to even open an investigation. At least that's been my experience when I worked with those agencies.

Forgive me if you answered this already, but did you talk to your family doctor about her/him prescribing it for you by writing it for pain control? It is going around the system a bit (OK, more than a bit), but this is your life we're talking about. Obviously it depends on your doctor, how close you are to her/him, and how much s/he wants to help you. It's just a thought.

I sincerely hope you find a way to get help very soon. Please continue to use this forum to express yourself and to keep us posted. I wish you the very best.