It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is my problem:
I have been seeing my current Sub Doc for over a year now, he is also my primary care doctor. He has a private practice, but he also works in the detox of one of the local hospitals. He has what, in my opinion, I would consider to be some of the most unethical ideas/policys reguarding Suboxone. He feels it is most effective in very short-term use (like a 7 day detox). He does'nt believe in long term maintinence on the drug, but he does see, im sure close to 100 patients in his private practice who are on it for long term, probably none more than 5 years though. He tells his patients that if they want to stay on for the rest of their life they need to find a new doctor. He is like a Diner waitress, turning over tables, maxing out profits. It makes me so angry. He has lied to me about the laws reguarding Suboxone, he has lied to me repeatedly about many things (including telling me I absolutley cannot breastfeed my son--BS!) . I find out more and more everyday I read the post's on this forum that I have been lied to by my doctor and misinformed, simply to suit his purposes, or his pockets. I am very disappointed and I know the next step should be to look for a new Sub Doc. :x
This is the major problem I have with that:
*What happens when I find a new doctor and he is the same or worse???
*How do I find out before hand if the doctor is honest and shares my views on suboxone/recovery???
I live in Up-state New York area and while we have a lot of doctors licenced, we don't have enough to go around. I have heard from friends in treatment being on a waiting list for more than 18 months and still not being picked up. I am willing to wait for the right doctor, but how do I find out if they are "Doctor Right"? I know word-of-mouth will probably be my best bet, so If anyone knows of a good Suboxone Doctor in Up-State New York, Albany area, please let me know. Or, if you have any suggestions on how I can go about finding someone honest, please feel free to share your ideas!
Thanks to all!!!
Minx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Minx,

Welcome to the forum first of all. Second is...I lived in up state New York (Sackets Harbor) and I go back to visit regularly (will be there in May actually). When we visit we are in Weedsport, Skaneateless, Syracuse. You are right that there aren't many doctors in up state for just about anything it seems actually. Anyhow, I would try going to www.suboxone-directory and looking for doctors in your area. Call each doctor, even if they are up to an hour away, and ask them if the doctor believes in long and short term maintenance. Tell them you looking for a new doctor, but you would like to make sure it is the right doctor and it isn't urgent. I would ask for a "meet and greet" 10-15 minutes to talk to the doctor about his/her views, how they run their program, etc. THEN.....if both parties determine it is a good match, get on the waiting list. They should be willing to give you this appointment at no charge or at a very minimal charge. That is what I would do. If that did not yield any results, I would make a new plan.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Thanks JackCrack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your advice. Im going to try the directory, I think there is more than one on-line now, I read in a couple differant post's in here of people reccomending differant ones. Im all for self-advocating in recovery. I think it is really important that we ask questions, get honest answers, and feel comfortable enough with our physicians to be honest with them about our treatment. The problem is, a lot of doctors are not engaging in these discussions, and they are not answering questions honestly or are mis-informed, or (and this to me is the worst) they are lying to their patients to scare them off the drug, or to deter them from illicit activity. I can understand not wanting your patients to abuse the drug, or sell it, but that doesnt make it ok to tell rediculous storys to all your patients (including the one's following their program to the letter) to try to scare them/make them paranoid. The only thing this does is cause more lying by the patient, because what happens if god-forbid they do screw up? If they have been listening to empty threats from their doctor, he is the last person they are going to be honest with! Im sorry, I just went on a tangent, I just had to say that cause it really bothers me...Thanks again for the advice! Ill keep you all posted on how the doctor "interviews" go.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:26 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

This is an important topic for those of us on Sub. I also think it is crucial that we do our part as well, which means making a formal complaint against doctors who are lying, abusing the system of Sub and forcing patients to do things that are not medically sound or that are unethical. I think people on this forum, more than any area I've seen at this point, are the most educated about their disease and their treatment options. I wish everyone would take that initiative.

I would also do a background check on any new dr you are thinking about going to and make sure there are no complaints against them. You can also call the state medical board or the AMA.

If we file complaints about these drs. we can help each other. I know many dr. in my previous city have recently lost their licenses because of faulty and iffy practices and I know the DEA is coming down on them for not following procedure. Yet, the DEA are not the ones having to follow the orders from these docs and we are...and we are compelled to follow what they say even if we know it is not right in order to be able to remain on a medication that is saving our lives. It's medical blackmail.

It takes work and follow through but I think we should make these formal complaints as they come up. It is the only way to keep these dr in check, to hold them to the highest standard and to protect our lives. Just my 2 cents...

Post subject: also in Albany NY
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Minx I am also in the Albany NY area & am looking for a doctor & am new to this. I found one doctor, he doesn't take insurance & charges $100/visit. I'm kind of nervous & not sure what to expect or if this is normal. Were you able to find a doctor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI
I see that you are BRAND new.......

THIS thread, that you've replied on is from febuary 2011
So, I would not expect an answer.....

$100 a visit, is PRETTY DANG cheap, from what I hear about around here,,,,,,

It's pretty normal to be nervous for your first visit.....

Do you have any questions??

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok good to know & thanks for responding. I have lots of questions, don't want to expect or what to prepare for. I know I need to not take anything at least 18 hours before. I'm just nervous if this is the right doctor. It's been hard to find any doctor with openings so I'm just happy I got an appt. I plan on just being honest. I have taken subs before from a friend & they really help. They make me feel like a normal functioning human being again, but it's rare that I can ever get them. I'm not sure if I should tell the doctor that? Do you have any advice for a first appt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:41 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum! I know Amber will be along in a while to give you some pointers, but I also thought I could shed some light on your situation.

First, I would find out if your first appointment will be just a consultation, or if the suboxone induction will take place that day. The receptionist at my doctor made sure I knew that I wouldn't be induced at the first appointment, so I needed to keep taking my drug of choice until I had my induction appointment.

I think that you are able to be straight with your sub doc about any previous drug use. The doctor knows you are coming in because you are an addict. He's not going to expect that you've been a saint! I would caution you that you should take the dosing instructions from your doctor seriously. Just because you are familiar with suboxone, doesn't mean you've been taking it correctly. However, if something seems very strange to you, you can always ask questions here about it.

Good luck!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you have insurance and the doctor won't take it that is a huge red flag for me. I mean have you e er gone to a doctor for an ear infection and had them tell you, "we'll, I see that you have insurance, but this is going to be cash only"? I would use the Find a Doctor link at the top of this page, or go to NAABT.org or Suboxone.com (RB's website). I live in a small New England town and when I went on Sub 3+ years ago I was pretty much stuck with the only doctor in my area. But in just 3 short years there are a LOT more docs and you can choose who seems the best
I would look for:

1. Takes insurance
2. Does in office induction
3. Has you sign an agreement
4. Either offers counseling/groups or suggests that you do so on your own

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. We have a member here who said his doc was in a locked office, you had to be "buzzed" in and it was all cash. I would steer clear of that. Also, a doc that writes 32mg/day for someone with a small hydro habit and then sends them off to induce on their own...that's a bad sign.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both for your advice I really appreciate it. Honestly when he said "I don't take insurance, cash only" in my mind I was like What is that about?! Doesn't seem right. But unfortunately I'm desparate at this point. I can't keep doing what I'm doing. I'm going to try the naabt website but keep my appt with this doctor for the time being. He did tell me over the phone he won't treat anyone who doesn't participate in some sort of outpatient rehab, which seems like a good sign. But the only cash thing did weird me out. I didn't even know about the naabt site until I came to this forum so I'm definitely going to fill that out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello again!!!

I think ALL the suboxone dr.'s SAY that, but it SEEMS very uncommon they actually CHECK into it,,
or even ask after the first appointment..........

and it seems to be the "norm" for alot of suboxone doctors to be cash only,,,, or at least HALF or something......
I don't think it's right, but it is what it is I guess....

WELL GOOD LUCK

I think it's a good idea to just be honest. Im sure you won't be the FIRST or the LAST to tell the dr. you've tried it before.....not from a doctor.................LOL

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Cash Only Doctors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:29 pm 

Hey Lilly,

I completely agree with your post but I too ran into some fairly shady Dr.'s out there in my search. The thing about not taking insurance really got under my skin so I called my insurance company (BCBS) and they did some research on it and told me that it was explained to them that the service the Dr's provide is very time consuming and that the payment they get from BCBS is very little compared to the time spent. That I do agree with to a point. The induction and the added paperwork they do to insure each patient is in compliance does take more time than the 10 minutes a regular doctors visit would take.

But after the induction and a few months in, my Dr. now only spends the normal 10 minutes with me and out the door I go. BTW, mine does take insurance.

So yes Otherside, be aware of all the warnings that have been posted and proceed with caution.

Welcome to the forum!

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello! I'm happy to let you know I'm back & it was not sketchy at all.

What Rule 62 said does help make sense of the cash only thing. I've NEVER been in a medical field work force but I'm sure insurance companies are a pain to deal with so that could be another part of it... & making it harder for docs to get paid.

I'm ready to start this journey. Need to get into an outpatient rehab program or at least be on a waiting list by my next appt. But, the Doctor is so far so good. I felt comformtable, he explained things very well & stressed that he's here to help but at the end of the day the only one that can do it is me. So here we go... time to get back to life :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 am 

I'm so glad to hear that your appointment went well! It's important that you feel optimistic as you start this new journey. It seems like you are filled with hope and ready to go. Let us know how your induction goes!

Amy