It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When it comes to recovery, I have no issues with NA/AA. In the beginning of every NA class I attent( And i attent 2 a weel, not court ordered) we state, somewhere along the lines of " this is a NA meeting, please do not bring up any drug names or ways of using drug for everyone here knows how to use drugs, we are here to learn how not to use drugs" bla bla bla bla...
Now i enjoying every week because I feel welcome, everyone feels like family, and you can experess your mind they way you need to . so when it comes to NA or AA those are the best ways of recovery.
but when it comes to inpaitient recover such as a rehab or a half way house or what ever the case is. I feel that 90 % of the people there are no where serious or ready to quit the drugs and regain control of their life. I was in w different rehabs , one for 3 days and another for 3 weeks. each time I went I heard the same shit out of peoples mouth.
When it came down to discussing out drug problem and how it got this far , it seemed as people took the addiction as a compitition, people would argue to who was more addiced or who was worse.

people would argue like this

Person one:" few years ago I got really bad, I was doing up to 6 oxycotting every day"

person two: "You think 6 oxy in one day was bad that is nothing, I was melting down 6 oxys at one time and shooting it up at once, boy did it feel awesome"

and it would really piss me off because no only should you be respectful and not interrupt while someone is speaking thier mind. but you tell them that their addiction isnt shit and you go on to say that they way you did your drug more was awesome, which is a clue that you really dont want to quit and dont want to be in the group.

Now when i was in my meeting this week we had a newcomer, and one person told her that we were glad she was there which was true, but then went on to say that someone died for the seat she was sitting in...which I do not believe for one damm second, because when it comes to NA,AA. We do not have seats for everyone out there with addiction, we can come up with all the seats in the world. but when it comes down to it we only have enough seats for the people who really want to be clean and really want to be in NA AA.

So for me, I feel that a inpaitient is not a good eniviorment for an addic, because most people are court ordered, do not want to even be there, do not want to give up their addictions. and do not want the help. so they will speak their mind and still currupt the minds of the people there that actually want to be clean and change, If you go in there wanting to change and get clean, abd then you get in a group conversation with someone who had different opinion then you. that person will talk about how they cant wait to get out, they cant wait to buy this or that drug, they cant wait to get high, they will talk about how good the felt of their drugs, and not talk about all the shit they lose from all these drugs, and as they discuss the wrong topics in this group. the good peoples minds get currupt and almost forget why they are even their, and adopt the same thoughts those people did
and then after they all they can think is

man i can wait to get the hell out of here to do "Drug name"...

its sad but true. and for the people who had in paitient rebad work. all power to you, but do not lie about this truth on what happens and what is said...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 pm 

Well said Q,

I've seen the same problem at NA meetings too. Some here have posted that the meeting they went to was just a place to find a new connection. You searched and found a group that worked for you and are serious about recovery. Congrats!

My now deceased older brother was sent to a mental hospital back in the 70's for alcoholism. He came out sober from alcohol and hooked on heroin. So yes, I agree with your statement. Addiction finally ended his life at 51 years old. He and I share the same DNA and I wonder how I stayed alive all those years. 3 certified overdoses and who knows how many close calls.

AA saved my life back in '87. The only way to finally rid yourself of the cravings from alcohol is complete and utter surrender. Until I reached that bottom nothing stopped me from my addiction. This one is a bit different though. It was sneaky and patient. All it took was a few Vicodin after some minor surgery to unleash the demon once again. No need to finish the story, we are all similar to one extent or another.

Welcome to the forum!

rule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was med director of a 6-week residential program for several years. I left that work, and became involved with treating patients with buprenorphine, for one reason: People on buprenorphine don't die.

It is easy to clean someone up in 6 weeks-- to make the person look good, and to get the family's hopes up. But almost everyone relapses within a year-- literally. Over 90%--- and that's just in ONE year. And when the person inevitably relapses, the counselors always say the same thing: 'He didn't want it bad enough. He didn't get it. He didn't work hard enough.' I found that to be the ultimate insult-- leaving family with a bad impression of their loved one, who was often dead, and not able to defend himself.

Anyone who enters treatment WANTS IT BAD ENOUGH. I think it's time to treat addiction like any other disease. When people die from cancer, the docs and nurses don't tell their families 'they didn't want it bad enough' or 'they didn't work hard enough'. When people die with other diseases, people say 'the treatment didn't work.' And if 90% of people died from an illness, state investigators would be shutting the programs and hospitals down, and investigating the hucksters selling the treatments!! Only with addiction can people sell treatments that don't work--- and then blame the PATIENT, often after the patient paid tens of thousands of dollars to the treatment program.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 pm 

Hey Quebedeau (hope that's right),

I understand what ur saying about inpatient rehab, I went to one before my last relapse and before starting sub treatment. It's an atmosphere that isn't necessarily how u picture it before u go. I thought everyone else would be like me and we'd all be comforting each other and the peer support would be awesome.....completely wrong. When ur having horrible cravings and depression and others are telling stories about this high and that high, it becomes too much. And it was actually a rule where I went that we weren't allowed to "romance" over drugs and possibly cause others to get upset, nobody wanted to tell on these ppl for it and make everyone else mad at u. There can be politics among patients and it's a big mess, especially when ur there just trying to take it min by min and barely hanging on.

I actually witnessed a few ppl nodding off during groups and these ppl were bragging about getting their loved ones to slip in pills during visitation. So I'd sit there having to watch this and be even more miserable than I was when I woke up that morning. Nobody wanted to be the "rat" and tell but eventually we had to because it was me leaving or them. Since I was obviously not sneaking pills in, the other had to go. I have wondered if because of those things, did that keep me from totally taking in the help I was there for...who knows but it wasn't anything I had expected going into the whole experience. It also seemed to me that the rehab I went to, too many ppl were concerned about dating. I just left there with no real coping skills. I stayed clean about five months and that was it. I'm not saying all rehabs are like that, I'm sure they aren't, but mine was and there's others like that too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a really negative opinion of most "therapeutic community" modelled rehab centres. They bring in people who have already been beaten by their addiction, and beat them more with confrontation and character assassination, humiliation. They reward passivity and compliance, and those who have a genuine voice that questions procedure are either punished into submission, or leave. If those who actually funded these facilities went there, I doubt they'd be around!

That being said, I've only experienced two TC's. Odyssey House, and We Help Ourselves. Odyssey House was by far the worse of the two. I heard therapists call residents "assholes" in group for behaviour that would be totally acceptable and relatable to any normal, sane person in the outside world.

Some rehabs should be shut down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 pm 

And most of these programs are crazy expensive, at least in the states! A 30 day program can be 30K! We need much more harm reduction and MAT. There are many, many people, however, even people being trained as addiction professionals today that don't think to question the model that has been used for decades without any proof of efficacy. We need to demand evidence-based treatment!

Amy