It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: how to dose??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey everyone, I have one quick question on my dosing method. I am about to lower my dose from 10mg (which I take 6mg in the morning and 4mg in the evening) to 4mg/day. So my question is how do you think I should attempt this? Should I take all 4mg at once or should I split it into two doses. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks ~Joseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Joseph -

It almost sounds like you plan to go directly from 10 mg down to 4 mg in one large jump with no tapering in between, is that correct? If so, I would highly suggest you taper down to the 4 mg more slowly than that. I think you'll almost certainly feel such a drastic drop if you don't taper, so why not go down more slowly and less painfully?

Personally, I'd go down to 8 mg first, then 6, then down to the 4 mg objective. You might not feel those drops at all - or very little. But like I said, I think you'll probably feel it if you make one large drop from 10 to 4.

I know you may probably want to get down quicker, but why not save yourself some discomfort? Just my humble opinion. Good luck with your taper down.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Joseph,

I too read your post as you were planning on going straight from 10mg to 4mg. You can certainly do that, but I'm also pretty darn sure that you are going to feel it.

IMO, anything above 4 or 6mg, you can drop 25% of your dose, stabilize and do another 25%, etc. Once you get around the 4 or 6mg, you should start dropping by 10%.

Do you HAVE to drop to 4mg in one shot? If so, I would say to take 2mg in the morning and 2mg in the early evening.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks guys its not that I want to drop my dose that quickly its just that the pharmacy I have used for 14months with no issues shorted me 20 pills and I didn't even notice until a week after I picked up my script. They gave me my script in a larger bottle and I didn't even check the amt. (stupid) I almost always double check. So when I brought it to there attention that they shorted me they made me look and fell like an idiot. There has to be something I can do? So anyway now I have to drastically lower my dose for a week to make it to my next Dr. appt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh man, does that ever suck!! Did you insist that the pharmacy do an inventory? That's what I would do. Not that it means they'll admit their mistake, but it might be worth a try.

Now that it appears you have to drop to 4 mg all at once, you might want to just try taking the 4mg all at once in the am and see if it lasts you through until the next morning. (That's what I would do.) It should, but everyone is different. If after 2-3 days you notice that that in the evening or before bed you're feeling some withdrawals, then you can always split your dose and take 2 mg in the am and 2 mg in the late afternoon. It's just hard to say which way will work better. 4 mg is right around the ceiling, so it'll be more of a trial and error thing. Good luck with it. I hope you don't feel it too terribly.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joseph wrote:
thanks guys its not that I want to drop my dose that quickly its just that the pharmacy I have used for 14months with no issues shorted me 20 pills and I didn't even notice until a week after I picked up my script. They gave me my script in a larger bottle and I didn't even check the amt. (stupid) I almost always double check. So when I brought it to there attention that they shorted me they made me look and fell like an idiot. There has to be something I can do? So anyway now I have to drastically lower my dose for a week to make it to my next Dr. appt.

That really does suck! I am sorry that happend. It's unfortunate the the pharmacy made you feel like you had done something wrong. I can tell you that my doctor has on one occassion allowed me to get my script a few days earlier then the prior month. It's not a lot of days, but it may give you and extra day or two if needed. You may do fine on the 4mgs, and I hope that you are, I just wanted to offer that as a suggestion should you really start to feel sick with w/d. You could also just be honest with the dr and tell him what happend and he may just give you your script earlier. If you have insurance then you'll still have to wait for the time frame to refill, but if you don't then they should allow you to fill what the dr has given you. I went on vacation once when it was 2 weeks prior to filling my script and I would have been out 2 days of subs had I not been able to fill it before I left, and they allowed me to do that. Just throwing that out there for you.

Best of luck to you! I agree with Hatmaker in that you might benefit from taking the dose once daily, and just give it a try and see how you feel by doing it that way. Hopefully you will not feel to bad during the week you have to wait.

- Joseph Campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, that royally sucks!!! That's a big amount to be shorted. I agree with Hat that you should have them do an inventory count. I have been shorted twice, but both times it was when I was paying out of pocket for Subutex and it was SO expensive. It was really weird, because in my life, I've never been shorted except for those two times. And one of the times, it was 1.5 pills short or something. It was so weird. Like, how do they leave out a half a pill? I complained big time and put it on my account that I wanted my meds double counted and signed off on.

I've filled my script early with no trouble. A person cannot always fill it on the precise day. My insurance would bend a little. I think they would cover it after 28 days or something. My doc didn't mind, but sometimes I also filled it late, so maybe that's why. If you tell your doc what happened, he may write you a script for a higher dose, and that way you can get it filled earlier. Hopefully, he'll believe you. If not, then this is going to be a bit of a rough drop for you. I would absolutely dose twice, especially since you already are doing that. First, I'd try to figure out how to get around having to do such a crazy drop. Your doc should at least know what you are having to go through. And in the future, if you can, try to stock up a little extra because stuff happens and it's good to have some extras just in case.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you all for the support! I definitely asked them to check there stock, I called them on the phone and we went back and forth for about 20-30 min. without coming to a conclusion so I showed up in person (acting cool, but still frustrated) and they told me that they get there pills from the manufacture in bottles of 30 pills and from the looks of it they don't have any open bottles so it must not have been them (not there exact words). So I don't know if the manufacture miss counted a bottle or someone working in the pharmacy has heavy pockets, but all I know is that this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well anyway it has been or this is day two and I am about to take my second dose of 2mg for the day and I dont feel that bad? I know I still have to get through another 2-3 days to be for sure, but so far so good! Thanks again everyone for all of you help and support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just wanted to update on lowering my dose from 10mg to 4mg. Well it has been a little over 3 days now and I feel fine. I have been taking 2mg twice a day and surprisingly I feel great! Actually I think I feel better at this dose. I'm sure I still have a couple days to go to make sure I'm in the clear, but we will see. I will let everyone know how I feel in a couple more days and if there is no issues I will be staying at this dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:18 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Everyone here gave great advice! Glad you are doing good...if you do start to feel anything, you don't have to tough it out....take a little more and feel better. I can't stress enough the importance of not dropping too fast :)

Hmmmm....you know, last year...I thought I was shorted once or twice on my Sub. And we wonder how it's making it to the streets?!!!!!