It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I asked my OB about this earlier on in my pregnancy and he said they could always just do the numbing agent. What is the best way to get an Epidural if on suboxone? My friend was at 4mg throughout her pregnancy, didn't tell her OB or any of the staff, and she got an Epidural. I asked how that worked if suboxone is supposed to block other pain meds and she said "maybe that is why I threw up". Just wondering how this works and hoping Dr. Junig will know since he was/is an anesthesiologist? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:32 am 

Many women get nauseous and throw up when they get an epidural. I really doubt that being on buprenorphine had any effect on that. I hope you've been reading the positive birth stories that we have in this section! Most stories indicate that the epidurals have worked just fine for patients on buprenorphine.

Here's my suggestion: Go to the top of the page and click on "Talk Zone". Next click on "SuboxSearch". In the first blank search space write "pregnancy epidural". Numerous articles by Dr. Junig will come up. Start reading! I could just give you a link to one of his articles, but I think it would be a good idea for you to read as much info as possible so that you get comfortable with these subjects. If you end up needing help, just ask. But I went through the steps I outlined and easily found the information you are looking for.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

One of my favorite youtubers has a video about having her first child. she was on methadone maintenance at the time of the birth and still is to this day. she wanted to have a natural birth but said the pain was just too much and they told her it was too late but she screamed at them so they gave it to her lol so when they gave her the epidural she was already a few cm. dilated and she said it did not work at all!! She said she felt literally everything and explained the pain in great detail... lol.

has anyone had an experience like this being on MAT where the epidural just didn't work?? or is it because they gave it to her later than they should? I haven't had any kids (yet) so I don't know how that works, like how long the epidural takes to actually start working?? I imagine it would be practically immediately.. but I don't know.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 pm 

I've had 3 epidurals and all 3 worked immediately. This was before my addiction started though. As far as I know, suboxone doesn't effect an epidural....It's a spinal block. Regardless of that, I've had several friends get an epidural and it just didn't work for them for some reason, and they weren't addicts or on anything like that. So sometimes, not a lot, epidurals just don't take. It could be from the person putting it in or something to do with the individual, I have no idea. But it happens. Thankfully mine were lifesavers. U still feel a lot of pressure though, which isn't pain, but u still feel the pressure the baby is putting on u.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:35 pm 

I've also heard of plenty of women that did not have their epidural work. I witnessed it myself when I was at my cousin's birth. They weren't on any medication.

Having an epidural not work is not common and has nothing to do with whether you are taking buprenorphine.

I realize that you're already stressed and worried enough, so the last thing you need is to come here and be alarmed by one anecdote. This is something you don't need to worry about.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know Epidurals can sometimes have issues. I just thought there was an issue with the pain medications in them interacting with the suboxone. Especially since when I asked my OB he said we could just do the numbing agent. My first birth I actually wanted only the pain reliever and very little or no numbing agent, but was told it is a premixed solution, and they don't separate out the two or change the portions.I actually think I didn't really need it on my first. By the time I got it is was at a 9 right before and they checked me right after and I was at a 10. So I had gone through labor and just had pushing. I ended up pushing for almost 4 hours cuz I an stubborn and wouldn't let them do the vacuum or forceps. I think it would of been alot faster with the Epidural. I originally didn't want to get one this time, but with how I have been feeling I honestly just want a break. And no way I will get pain med after probably. So I am thinking I want an Epidural with pain meds in it so I have a little cushion for after. I am worried of my attachment with the baby if I am in pain after and no one wilk give me anything. I think even my husband and family and friends will just try to give support and comfort, and do what they can to make sure I get no pain meds. I know plenty if women who don't even take tylenol after. I just am not one of those. Hopefully I will get strongwe!
Thanks Amy for the directions. I will check those out this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 pm 

Here's the direct link:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxone-an ... -suboxone/

Please read the article. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You should read some of the articles in the surgery section here on the forum. I'm not certain of the exact process, but I believe it's still possible to manage pain with regular pain medication while taking Sub.

I decided from day one I didn't want any narcotics (other than my Sub) during labor or post-partum.
My first labor (12 yrs ago) was very painful, I was given tons of narcotics during & immediately after labor, I had to wait hrs in recovery before seeing my baby, and then when I finally saw her I was so drugged up that I could barely care for her and I truly believe it effected our bonding experience.

So, when I became pregnant again (one year after inducing on Sub), I was determined to have a beautiful and healthy birth. My goal was to have a natural vaginal birth. But, since I had already had a c-section with my 12yr old my OB and I made a multi faceted birthing plan. Good thing we did, because although we tried & tried...my body just wouldn't allow me to have a vaginal birth.

I took a tour of the hospital during pregnancy. But, on the actual labor day I was able to personally speak with my anesthesiologist. I provided her with literature about Sub, asked questions, and made sure she was aware of what I did and didn't want. BTW, this was all very impressive to the staff.
I had a partial epidural (which only numbs you from the waist down). I really loved this because it allowed me to be fully alert. There was LOTS of pressure and some pain, but it was definitely manageable. My OB placed a pain pump containing Toradol at the incision site. This worked like a charm! The pump remained in just for the couple days while we were at the hospital. Upon release, I was given the pill form Toradol. The only other meds I took were my Sub and IBUPROFEN.

Yes, I did have significant pain post-partum. But, it didn't last forever. And, my pain was from being cut open. So, I would think a vaginal birth would be much easier as far as pain management.

I really LOVED my second birth. I was completely alert for everything. I was given my baby immediately after I was sewn up. And, I honestly believe my NOT having additional narcotics during birth made a huge difference in my sons health, development, and happiness.

The most important thing is to research, ask lots of questions, and come up with a birthing plan.
If you do end up needing additional meds, there are certainly options. PLEASE read the surgery section for more info.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hope I'm not too late... the short answer is that epidurals are not affected by buprenorphine.

The primary ingredient infused into a labor epidural is a local anesthetic, usually bupivicaine, ropivicaine, or lidocaine. Anesthesiologists of different hospitals use different concentrations and types of local anesthetic, but the goal is to use a dilute-enough concentration to spare muscle activity while at the same time blocking pain sensation. That goal is more difficult, the longer the labor, because local anesthetic eventually blocks the motor nerves as well as sensory nerves, causing weakness in the legs and stomach muscles.

Local anesthetics are not affected by buprenorphine at all. Zero affect for all local anesthetics. If something doesn't get numb from local anesthetic, whether in an epidural or during a dental procedure, the problem is the injection, NOT buprenorphine.

One small issue: sometimes an anesthesiologist will add a very small amount of opioid to an epidural. Usually that opioid is fentanyl, with the goal of adding slightly to the amount of pain relief, so that a more-dilute local anesthetic can be used with the goal of sparing motor function (i.e. muscle activity). The action of that fentanyl MIGHT be blocked to some extent by buprenorphine. But note several things: 1. it might not be blocked. Fentanyl competes pretty well with buprenorphine, so it isn't clear whether having buprenorphine in the bloodstream impacts the fentanyl placed in the epidural space. 2. the effect of fentanyl is minor, and not at all necessary. Fentanyl is often left out of epidurals completely to avoid causing itching and nausea in the mother, and respiratory depression in the baby. 3. there is NO 'danger' from giving fentanyl to a person on buprenorphine, either IV or epidural. Many doctors get this entirely wrong, but people do NOT get sick from taking narcotic pain meds while they are on buprenorphine. They DO get sick the other way around-- if they are on narcotic pain meds, and then take buprenorphine. But if they are on buprenorphine first, then get fentanyl, the fentanyl may be blockd a bit, but it will NOT cause withdrawal or any other problems.

As a former anesthesiologist I know that some docs blame all sorts of things if their epidural doesn't work. They will blame the patient for moving too much, or blame their anatomy. So I can certainly see an anesthesiologist blaming buprenorphine. But that would be entirely bogus. If the epidural is one-sided or doesn't work, the problem is either that the doc missed the epidural space, or threaded the catheter in too far, causing it to move to one side. A one-sided block can usually be fixed by pulling the catheter out a half-centimeter or so (or replacing the entire thing).

Please do read the things on my blog about pregnancy. At http://www.suboxsearch.com you can use a word like 'pregnancy' to search the blog, or search this forum. The results are in Google form, with enough of the data showing to easily determine whether the link is what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Pregnant&Lost wrote:
I asked my OB about this earlier on in my pregnancy and he said they could always just do the numbing agent. What is the best way to get an Epidural if on suboxone? My friend was at 4mg throughout her pregnancy, didn't tell her OB or any of the staff, and she got an Epidural. I asked how that worked if suboxone is supposed to block other pain meds and she said "maybe that is why I threw up". Just wondering how this works and hoping Dr. Junig will know since he was/is an anesthesiologist? Thanks!

I have given birth while on Sub twice. The first with an epidural, worked beautifully thank God, but the second time I was given an intrathecal, which is opiate based and didn't work at all. Granted this was close to 12 years ago, so my doctor really didn't have a clue...Make sure yours does!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just had baby while on subutext and the epidural worked just fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I feel that you are psyching yourself out. Getting an epidural doesn't change due to taking suboxone. I gave birth in September and I was taking subutex and my (several) epidurals worked amazingly.