It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If Suboxone came out in 2002, and I've suffered with opiod addiction since then and have seen countless doctors and therapist, why the hell didn't someone tell me about it??? Did anyone else have a similar experience? During that time I went through 4 residential treatment centers, and was hospitalized at least 5 times for overdosing on pills. Everyone knew I was totally addicted and couldn't control myself. In fact, in 2008 after I had heart failure from Vicodin, a psychiatrist in the hospital put me on naltrexone. Naltrexone!?!! Worthless! She had to have known about Suboxone. During that time I was in jail to many times too count and ruined my record and any chance of having a decent job one day. FINALLY, while I was in jail in 2009, a former heroin addict told me about Suboxone and what a miracle it was. How sad, because I really think I could have avoided having a criminal record for multiple prescription fraud convictions (all felonies).

Why doesn't the word about Suboxone get out to those who need it? The only time I've seen it mentioned on TV was on Oprah in 2009 when she said it was a miracle drug. I don't think it's ever been referred to on Intervention, for God's sake! All I can think of is that the word about Suboxone is being suppresed by the traditional steppers and their institutions (not saying that the Steps are not OK for some).

Anyone else have this kind of experience??

Ever yours,
J :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A couple of thoughts...Most pharmaceutical companies spend money and time promoting their new medications and educating doctors on it. Reckitt-Benckiser, unfortunately, is one company that failed in that regard. Even now many doctors still don't have a clue what suboxone is. As for Intervention - I heard that it's been mentioned a couple of times, but not necessarily in a positive light. It's clear there is a great need to educate the medical community as well as the public about addiction AND suboxone. Imagine the lives that could be saved if the word actually got out there!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I were you I would be pretty upset anyways. I first heard of suboxone when I called the methadone clinic to see if I was eligible for that. They suggested suboxone and I started researching it. Then I asked my dealer about it and she was in fact aware of what it was and could actually get some too on occasion since the guy selling to her was always trying to get off the oxy so he could actually make money selling it. Of course he was totally abusing the sub at that point. I digress.

This topic has come up a few times when we have seen television shows that mention sub in a negative light. It is really quite unfortunate. Many doctors still seem to view it like methadone and view it as being "part" of the addiction not a recovery tool. So that is probably what you have run into. I always thought RB should make posters and hospitals should post them. I think many addicts end up in the ER with overdose or drug seeking so this is where the posters should be and they should be in EVERY room AND the waiting room. I think you would reach at least 80% of the addicted population eventually that way and it wouldn't be all that expensive. But like Hatmaker said, RB does NOTHING!

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Several reasons: most seem centered around myths and misconceptions. The prevailing attitude continues to be that ORT is simply "substituting addictions" or "giving addicts what they want". The other biggie is the stupidity of government regulation of doctors. Even though bupe has myriad advantages over methadone, doctors must continually jump through hoops to prescribe it. Then, there is cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

creel1950,

I was hooked on opiates for 10 years before I heard about Suboxone. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the TV show Intervention where I first heard about it. A young couple were both hooked on opiates and went for Suboxone treatment. I remember the young man complaining that he had to go into wd before he could get on to suboxone. Suboxone was only mentioned maybe once.

I remember feeling like you do, why in the hell haven't I heard about this stuff before? It is a tragedy that more opiate addicts aren't getting the information they need about suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had never heard of it until the day before I was inducted. Even when I found my doctor, it was on a website that kind of vaguely discussed treating opiate addiction outside a clinical setting (ie: not methadone). I just called the number for a doctor in NYC, no name or nothing. That night we met with a friend who had been clean for 2 years, and she did it by using suboxone, but she went through a in-patient program first. We just walked into a doctor's office. A year later I recommended it to a friend of mine on the west coast who had started using again. He had never heard of it either. He's been clean since then. So the first person I knew who got off drugs with suboxone must've been prescribed them 5 years ago.

If I had known about it earlier, I probably would have saved a lot of money and time, and been spared a lot of sadness. But I never told anyone about my addiction, not my doctor even. So I would have had to find it for myself, and that took a bit longer. :? If I had been treated for my addiction, and not been told about it, I would be pretty upset too.