It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How can they do this?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey people. I have not been around in quite sometime. Wife kids and work is about all you can do. Anyway I got to my counselor last week and she says bad news after your next appointment there will not be a doctor here anymore. I was like umm yea what the fuck am I to do? I have been on sub for last 2 years and you people have 100 addicts getting ready to be in big trouble. The next doctor to me is full and anybody else is over a hour. All she could say is we can refer you to impatient detox. Really? Are you fuckin kidding me? Do you know how many people are in danger? We have 3 options. Get your last script and try and wean down and then withdrawal. Go detox or methadone. How can they do this shit we are hooked on this medicine. I asked why there was not gonna be a doctor she said she could not tell me. She even had the nerve to say are u gonna make another appointment for me? Fuck no dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry to hear you have to go through that. A lot of doctors seem to just view addicts as people who are inferior to them. Some doctors think addicts are just low lives and they don't show much respect for. I have heard this from numerous people in meetings. Fortunately, I feel like my doctor is not like this so much but every now and then I'll hear a remark about some of his other patients and the wild things they do. Granted there are a lot of people who get an appointment and will never follow-up with them because their intention is to get a quick fix and still use. I am not saying your doctor is like that necessarily but it just seems to me like he is throwing his patients around and only caring about money. The least they could of done is given you more of a time period to plan for the future by finding a new doctor. I'm surprised he is just throwing you out while you are still dependent on suboxone. It seems like a selfish move that he would not have a plan for his patients to switch to another doctor rather than detox. With the given circumstances the only thing I would think to do is get the most subs as possible for the mean time or try to go to the doctor you said that was an hour away and maybe they will be able to see you at least every 30 days or maybe even 60 or 90. I was told that some methadone clinics can dispense suboxone but I am not sure. It would be worth checking if they could or if there was one close to you. If you aren't ready to detox of suboxone then do everything in your power to find another doctor. If worse comes to worst then you may want to try methadone temporarily, but ONLY if you feel like it’s your last resort from using. Good luck, Thesphinx!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:48 pm 
Thesphinx wrote:
Hey people. I have not been around in quite sometime. Wife kids and work is about all you can do. Anyway I got to my counselor last week and she says bad news after your next appointment there will not be a doctor here anymore. I was like umm yea what the fuck am I to do? I have been on sub for last 2 years and you people have 100 addicts getting ready to be in big trouble. The next doctor to me is full and anybody else is over a hour. All she could say is we can refer you to impatient detox. Really? Are you fuckin kidding me? Do you know how many people are in danger? We have 3 options. Get your last script and try and wean down and then withdrawal. Go detox or methadone. How can they do this shit we are hooked on this medicine. I asked why there was not gonna be a doctor she said she could not tell me. She even had the nerve to say are u gonna make another appointment for me? Fuck no dude

This is a big fear of mine. The doctors dont really care about us.

What you are describing is one of the reasons I am tapering off Suboxone.

If I were you, I would choose detoxing over methadone, unless you have chronic pain that needs to be managed.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thesphinx wrote:

From the response that you've made about your doctor, and the reasoning behind him just suddenly "not being your doctor anymore", I offer this:
Most of these suboxone doctors are working out of a pain clinic ; that is, they have patients on Suboxone, yes, but they also prescribe a WIDE ARRAY of opiate drugs to other patients for pain management reasons. Chances are pretty good since reading what you've said that the doctor you've been seeing got caught up in some sort of audit by the state health board, and likely was a chain of events that led to him being investigated (like a patient under his care either OD'D, got caught with 400 or 500 pills and was DR shopping, or some other legal ramification that pointed the finger back to your doctor)....either way, this seems to be the case. I could be wrong, but most of the Suboxone doctors that I've heard of or looked into lately (because of insurance reasons) have been doctors who prescribe lortabs, Roxy, Oxy, and also have 100 patients on Suboxone at the same time...to me, that's a big moral issue, but they still do it.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jesus Thesphinx!!

I can't imagine how scared you must be. That's so FUCKED UP!!!

I have a couple ideas- Im not sure if your going back again before your doctor leaves, (if not, call your doc) and once again impress
upon him/her what a dangerous situation you are about to be forced into. Ask your doctor to write you a refill

Make an appt with your regular physician and attempt to get Sub prescribed for pain (its my understanding
that any lic. physician can prescribe Sub for pain w/out the special waiver, which is required for addiction.

Try finding a Psychiatrist to see/prescribe you Sub. I, myself see a Psychiatrist for talk therapy AND for Sub.
I find it much easier trying to discuss any issues Im having with my Psychiatrist vs. my previous Sub doctor,
whom mainly just pretended to listen and then threw a script at me (about a five minute appt).

If these aren't options for you, I'd suggest setting up an appt with the doc you mentioned (who's an hr away). Maybe if you explain your situation, the doctor will agree to see you every two or even three months....instead of once a month.

Im so sorry you've been put in this predicament. I hope things work out. Please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jonathanm1978 wrote:
I could be wrong, but most of the Suboxone doctors that I've heard of or looked into lately (because of insurance reasons) have been doctors who prescribe lortabs, Roxy, Oxy, and also have 100 patients on Suboxone at the same time...to me, that's a big moral issue, but they still do it.

Not sure I would agree with that. A doctor treating a chronic pain patient with full agonists is no different than a heart doctor treating patients with blood pressure meds in my opinion. Just because people like me can't take those meds responsibly doesn't mean they should be withheld from people who need them and can take them responsibly.

To Sphinx: If I were you, I would hit up your current doc for one last script at maximum dosage - something in the neighborhood of 32-48mg per day. That way, if you do have to taper off, you will have around 120 or more 8 mg pills, which could last you a year or more if your dosage is low enough. Good luck.