It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How can I find out.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

How can I find out my hospitals policy on labor and delivery while taking subutex? Also am I supposed to bring my own prescription from home and continue to take it in the days I'm still at hospital after I have the baby? All of this is so scary to me. I'm also having issues with anemia since I cannot take the iron pills since it makes the constipation even worse. And it's already a problem w the subitex. So I'm really scRed for several reasons. I'm not scared about getting into any kind of trouble I am honest w my doctors and the doctor knows I have a prescription from my sub doc. There is nothing dishonest that I am doing. However I'm still real worried since my baby is due dec 23. I am so worried the baby may have to stay at the hospital after I'm discharged. I know there is no way to tell if the baby will have NAS or not. I DID go for an anatomy scan and was told everything looks completely normal with baby physically. They did this for my advanced age(39) as well as the subutex medication. Doc was happy to tell me the news the baby girl is doing well. I have not asked them much abijt withdrawals yet in be baby but I was told to stay on my medications and they were not treating me like a leper or like I'm a bad mom or anything this far. This is my 6th baby and only time I have had any of these types of issues. I know my other kids at home will be also so sad if I have to come home without the baby. And how long does a baby usually have to stay in hospital for ? Anyone know ?

Post subject: Re: How can I find out.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First of all, congratulations on your baby girl!

You're doing the right thing, in my opinion, concerning letting your OB know that you are on this medication so they can properly monitor you and the baby throughout the pregnancy - even if it's just for nothing more than to be safe. I am also pregnant and on Subutex (33 weeks now and so ready to be done) and I've even enjoyed the side perk of extra ultrasounds and monitoring to check up on the baby! Every couple of weeks I have gotten the peace of mind that he's growing properly and doing great.

I can tell you for sure that I am also nervous about my munchkin needing further treatment after he comes out. But, every time I've brought it up with a doctor they remind me that it's always best to prepare for that as the worst case scenario so if it does happen you're not unprepared. Perhaps asking your OB or the baby's future pediatrician about what the policy is for the baby if she does show signs of withdrawal would be a good place to start? Unfortunately every hospital is different in their policies, as is every baby in their particular case and severity, so there's no set time limit that could be known ahead of time as to how long the baby would need to be treated. From what I've been told as a ballpark estimate it's usually a week, perhaps more - perhaps less, that the baby needs to be in the NICU for monitoring and treatment. Even if she does end up needing some extra time in the hospital know that you did the best thing for both you and your child by staying on this medication and avoiding any risk of miscarriage that can happen with tapering or withdrawal.

Best of luck and once again, congratulations =)

Post subject: Re: How can I find out.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Narcissa,

I'm obviously no expert here :) , but I know if need be you can receive iron via an infusion. My iron was low despite taking pills (not being absorbed properly) so my doctor gave me an infusion. It takes a couple of hours, so you need to bring something to read.

In general, they ask that you bring your prescriptions with you so that they can ensure they are providing everything you should have. However, they typically prefer using medicine provided by the central pharmacy, so they probably wont use yours.

Beyond that, I'll defer to the many, experienced ladies on this site to answer your other questions. :D

Keep us posted,
Morphing