It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is misinformation out on buprenorphine, including how buprenorphine became an addiction therapeutic. Folks come here and make incorrect and false comments such as buprenorphine was designed only for addiction and designed only for short term use and not long term use.

IT WAS DESIGNED FOR PAIN WITH NO TIME LIMITS on short or chronic long term pain use.
Buprenorphine was not designed or developed to treat addiction and certainly not w any time use restrictions.

ENGLAND: It was discovered in 1966, at the research labs of a home consumer products company, Reckitt & Colman.

Since the 1950s, Reckitt worked on various formulations to create new OVER THE COUNTER pain drugs with the express goal to minimize or reduce the disturbing/deadly side affects of full analgesics aka agonists like morphine - while maintaining the desired effects of pain control.

In 1966 they ended up w buprenorphine. Although stronger than allowed for an OTC drug, its clinical trials showed it clearly did meet the goal of making this drug's safety profile far superior to full analgesics. Reckitt successfully launched its buprenorphine pain drug into 29 countries.

The UNITED STATES: Since the 1920s, the US was working on addiction.

In the 1970s, folks recognized/studied buprenorphine's unique potential as an addiction treatment, They believed buprenorphine was unique w its properties and safety profile and should be added into US addiction treatment along w methadone and naltrexone. Years passed because of many forces and issues at play - medicalization vs criminalization, abstinence vs maintenance, funding, government oversight...

In the late 1980's Reckitt was reluctant to enter the addiction arena as their buprenorphine pain drug was already well established and they were concerned it would be tainted in the eyes of prescribers and pain patients if also used for addiction, as happened w methadone. Reckitt also struggled w the high dosage necessary to treat addiction. Folks in the US and in Reckitt, convinced Reckitt to remove its reluctance and allow use of its buprenorphine as an addiction treatment drug and worked w in the US to help create The Drug Addiction Treatment Act, which in 2000, launched buprenorphine here in the US.

"The history of the development of buprenorphine as an addiction therapeutic". The link below is the abstract, but the really interesting details are in the full article, if you have access or you can buy/rent it by clicking the LinkOut-more resources text below the abstract text.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22256949

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by Pelican on Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am 

Thank you pelican!

I get so frustrated with ppl who're spreading misinformation out there like it's truth. I get so frustrated sometimes and I don't know why ppl feel the need to come here and say 'well buprenorphine wasn't made for long term use' 'buprenorphine was not made to be taken long term'.........

It just frustrates me! Thank u for this post pelican!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Great post Pelican,

I think people tend to get angry about the tapering process, and some just do not want to put the work in. Therefore, they put so much blame on Bupe without even thinking twice. What is a couple of months of withdrawals compared to the years you were clean and didn't OD from opiates? Come on, look at the bigger picture people. You were clean thriving in life, instead of dead.. sorry to be so blunt but its true.

If I would have only stayed on Bupe for a couple of months man.. I do not think I would be alive truthfully. People come here to talk about how Bupe is so horrible because the withdrawals are a little long. Well big deal I went through all of the withdrawals, and I still consider Bupe great because I look at the bigger picture. Bupe made my life great, I was able to live normal and thrive.

Can people really say it is not worth it.. No you can not the pros outweigh the cons by a landslide.. bottom line!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Great post Pelican! I love learning about that kind of stuff and it is really important for people to be informed before spewing out "alternative facts", ya know!

Pelican, Subtaperingnow, Jenn, and anyone else involved in the conversation with the guy who managed to insult everyone in between begging for help, it was so great to see everyone respond in a respectful and compassionate way to this guy even though he was spewing misinformation and insults all over the place. It reinforces to me the validity and genuine compassion of the members of the forum.

I wish we could have helped him, but honestly, I think that coming off buprenorphine is the least of his problems. From his comments it sounded like his life was amazing before bupe, doctors' force fed him the medication and lied to him about the side effects and how difficult it is to stop. Apparently he couldn't use a google search or ask anyone questions to find any of that information out. Now his life is dreadful because of the doctors, the bup, the drug companies, on and on. With his victim mentality he managed to portray himself as the victim on the forum-everyone is picking on me! Probably had some problems in junior high, I guess . . . Really, some good therapy is the only way he may get anywhere. If he is reading, I urge you to please go to therapy! Too bad, I wanted to see him succeed too.

Sorry for coopting your threat Pelican with that guy's nonsense. Anyways, like I said great posts everyone. I love reading everyone's posts. I also just feel so thankful today to have Buprenorphine and this forum. Have a great weekend!
-T

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pelican, thanks so much for putting this up. In the end it seems to me, the forum is an information
archive. The history and links you've given us all...and countless prospective readers in the future... are invaluable.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks jennjenn, subtaperingnow, tragicom and godfrey! I regret and get so frustrated at the crappola out there on buprenorphine which is why I post links, as a way to corroborate my comments.

I've reconnected w my brother in a real way and wasn't sure that would ever be possible, due to my past active addiction. Wo bup, IDK where I'd be but I'm sure I'd not be where I am now, enjoying life and loving and helping my brother. There's no question, respect and trust are now reestablished. Wow. My heart is full and I'm grateful.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:24 pm 

Pelican I think some tend to forget that you've been off buprenorphine SUCCESSFULLY for years! U are the success story!! I just want to put a big red flashing sign on ur username that says.... Proof that u can successfully do buprenorphine treatment and stop and be successful! We don't have to wonder what it's like because u are proof. And u still come here to educate ppl about this treatment and in a very positive way I'd like to add. That's amazing :)

Sometimes the negativity and complaining here becomes too much to listen to but I try to be patient. I become frustrated listening to negativity over and over again. But it's easy for me to see the ppl that truly want to show others how this medicine has saved their lives and can prove how much better their life is today because of this medicine.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jennjenn,

Ya, bc I know my own backstory, I write knowing i'm off bup, this month of May is 6yrs. Without my time on it, I'd not be back to living and loving life which didn't start till I started bup. I think there's a way here to add a line at the bottom of my posts that can say something about my time since stopping bup. and that I come here to keep it 'green', a helpful recovery principle. Coming here has been/is so helpful for me. Many thanks - to all of you - for all you do -- for so many. Pel

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello! This is such a good post. I am really happy to know how kind everyone is on here. I belong to another site (MedHelp) they are also very kind supportive for various medical problems/situations.

I think some of the ignorance began with some of the insurance companies. I read where they decided this was a short term medication in Tennessee, decided how many months someone could be on it, started cutting people off. Luckily I believe this was stopped. Around the same time someone I know who had successfully been on it was told by her insurance they would no longer pay. She was forced to pay for a few months before it was sorted out.

I really want to thank you all for this forum, it has been very helpful to me. As I try to find information for my husbands situation I can see the caring informative people here who have educated me in many ways.

Thank you
Dee

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 am 

Thank u Dee! So great that ur researching and supportive to ur hubby also!

I live in Tennessee but my clinic is actually in Kentucky since I live at the state line. Plus I don't have insurance right now, so I don't know much about the rules Tennessee has but I truly hope they've changed their views on short term verses longer term. I have heard many ppl say that their insurance will only pay for their treatment for a yr or a certain amount of time. But I don't really know honestly.

I'm very glad ur a member of this forum!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Pelican wrote:

I've reconnected w my brother in a real way and wasn't sure that would ever be possible, due to my past active addiction. Wo bup, IDK where I'd be but I'm sure I'd not be where I am now, enjoying life and loving and helping my brother. There's no question, respect and trust are now reestablished. Wow. My heart is full and I'm grateful.

This is such good news Pelican. I am so hoping to find this healing with my Sister & my Niece. Now that I'm on Suboxone, I can look back & see the awful ways that I responded to them that must have hurt them badly. I have begun to slowly re-build a strong & loving relationship with them. But I know it's going to take time. Thanks to you, I believe that I can do it too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome here Dee! For me, in the early years, I knew I needed to walk the walk and avoid the 'talk' of my new found clean time. And it took time, but 'showing' worked, talking would have pushed them away bc of prior verbal lies and real verbal hurts. Wishing all my best tonight, P