It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ok so
Surgery was painful • it took tons of meds to handle the pain. Today I am home and on dilauded? When can I go back to my suboxone and how do I know when I can take it without precipitated withdrawals? Help! Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I usually keep people on buprenorphine post-op; that seems to keep the dose of agonist from running to the moon. But at this point, you need to get the agonist (dilaudid) out of your system before starting back on Suboxone or buprenorphine (BOTH will cause precipitated withdrawal, because it is the buprenorphine that does it-- not the naloxone).

Dilaudid doesn't stick around too long, so you will be fine if you stop it for 24 hours. If that is too long to handle, you would PROBABLY be OK at 12 hours. The most important thing-- if you do have PW, the best thing you can do is just continue taking your Suboxone as scheduled. PW never lasts very long-- maybe 12 hours at the most, and the severity drops very quickly. Do NOT try taking agonists, if you get PW-- that will only delay the misery.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:51 pm 

Maya,

Our good doctor gave you the same advice most of us would give. With me, I took my last agonist pain pill (2 Lortab 10's) at about 8-9 PM. The next day I just waited until noon before taking my Suboxone again. It was actually a big relief to be back on it. Plus it helped with the pain better than the narcotics.

Now I take 2 Aleve if I have bad pain. Such is life as an addict.

Hope you're feeling better by now,

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks everyone. It's been 13 hours since my last dilauded. I want to start my sub but im not feeling much wd--maybe because I have only been off sub for 5 days? Can I try taking it any time now or wait til the am?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Obviously the longer you wait the safer you are. If you are not suffering with pain or withdrawls, why not wait? What's the downside? Now if you are in a lot of pain or moderate withdrawls then take the sub. It sounds like that's not the case and you feel decent enough so why risk it? For sure you won't flip right into withdrawls by waiting like could happen if you take the sub. So I'd say wait until one of three things happen - you need pain medication, you feel withdrawls or the sun comes up. Whichever happens first is when I'd take the sub dose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks! The only pain I have now is bad lower back pain. Withdrawal or post surgical pain though? Not sure. I will wait and sleep with the subs next to me and take it when I feel I can't sleep, have more pain or more wd. Thanks!