It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place - and my apologies for disappearing from the forums!

Like millions of others, I've been out of work for almost a year. I finally landed a coveted full-time job...in my own highly competitive field! There's lot of expectations from employees, and it's a deadline-driven job. I hadn't considered the buprenorphine factor when I signed to start next week. Two work days begin at 11AM, which I assumed would allow attendance at required monthly appointments to obtain my prescription. But only one doc at the hospital prescribes bupe and he's not available those hours. He can't "call in" for pick-up without appointment due to government regulation. But if a patient has been on the medication for almost a year and proven responsible, shouldn't leniency for work-related reasons?

He expects me to ask my employer for a monthly day off. Would anyone walk into a company that's adamant about employee loyalty and immediately request an ongoing day off knowing they could toss me to the curb for one of hundreds of qualified applicants able to work assigned hours? I'd be one thing to ask after a few months when I'm engrained in the job, but I've seen enough stigma to know "I need to see a doctor once a month" is a red flag. I'm considering switching to the community clinic that opens at 6AM and has weekend hours, but wouldn't be able to renew RB patient assistance and they don't offer generic.

Has anyone had this issue? How have you gotten around it? Don't you think it's bogus that whomever designed this red tape hadn't considered the fact that people work during the day??!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi nomore -

First, CONGRATS on the job! That's AWESOME!

Now to the challenging part. I don't see why you couldn't find some reasonable way to request a half a day off once a month for an afternoon doctor appointment. That's perfectly reasonable! You don't have to say it's for a doctor's appointment or anything medical. I hear you that you don't want to risk a new job, but for now, what's the worst they can do, say no? They won't fire you off the bat for asking and they would have to be pretty major assholes to make your life miserable just for asking for time off for a personal appointment (with a frequency of no more than once per month). For all they know it has to do with your kids and their school.

That's just my take on it. But you need to listen to YOUR instincts on this. Only you know the players involved, we don't. But don't assume the worst in people either. Have they given you any indication that you would not be allowed regular time off like other employers? Or are you just imagining the worst case?

In my opinion, I think it's better to be straight and find a way to ask for an afternoon or morning off. Then next month, discuss the fact that it is a monthly thing and discuss it then.

I'm sure others will chime in with their take on it. I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do. We're behind you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

when I first landed my job, i was still in the once a week sub doc appts!!!!!

I asked my boss, WHAT was best FOR HIM

and kind of let him 'pick the time/day'
that got me REALLY good 'brownie points' lol

then after awhile he just asked for me to get the appt as EARLY or as LATE as possible. my work hours are 730am-5pm
so either I come in late, leave a half hr early or sometimes Ive seen the doctor on my lunch break. Now I only go every other month though, so its not been too much of an issue.

HOPE THIS helps!!! I do know what it feels like, to know, if your 'too much of a problem, goodbye'

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/