It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How It All Started
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone and I’m new to the site. I belonged to the Addiction Survivors website but it closed sorry to say, I loved it. I do not know how I avoided serious opiate addiction for so long but I think it has to do with my age. As a teenager in the 70’s we smoked weed and drank beer, period. I guess it was luck but even though I played guitar in a band and listened to rock music, opiates were not around. I seldom smoked pot after my twenties but continued to drink alcohol and on occasion used cocaine. The cocaine use was minimal, somehow I controlled it. I had a job and they drug tested. I did not uncover opiates until my early thirties. A friend had cough medicine W/codeine and informed me all I had to do was ask for it at a certain pharmacy and sign a log, that is how the whole thing started. Eventually they stopped selling it that way. I went long periods w/o opiates; I was using them recreationally here and there for years. Again I was worried about drug testing so I basically kept the usage very minimal, in fact I was able to save up pills and limit usage to vacations. I have never tried heroin or injected pills, no IV use.
In about 2007 the pressures of the world became overwhelming. I could not find a decent job, a family member became reliant me, the pressures were adding up. This is when I started using oxycodone and when I could find them OC’s. So I was dosing daily on average about 30 mg per day. At times I would binge on the OC’s #40 or #80. A friend introduced me to snorting the pills, the beginning of the end. Fortunately, I have always worked on self-control and limiting things as such we speak of and considering what I was up against I knew it had to stop, especially the OC’s as I started to realize the danger at hand. I did not want to overdose and although the addict took over, I stopped snorting the pills. A step in the right direction but I was still spending over $400 per month on the 15mg oxycodone pills.
So after about 1-1/2 years of buying oxycodone I threw in the towel. I was sick of paying my hard earned money for pills but also worried about the withdrawal. I went to a clinic known for prescribing pain pills and tried to get my own script but the doctor needed an MRI. It was then I realized the time had come to STOP. So with a few oxycodone on hand I signed up at the same clinic for suboxone. I had no idea that 9 years later I would still be on buprenorphine/naloxone. So this was a 30 mg per day oxycodone habit with the exception of OC’S on occasion all lasting roughly 1-1/2 years. I wish now that I would have just weaned myself off the oxycodone but I cannot say how things would turn out. I have kept the suboxone dose rather low for the first 6 years (4-6 mg). I have recently switched to bunavail and have been as high as 10-12mg/day at times thru the last 3 years. I am tapering down and have got back down to 9mg/day. I would like to get to 8mg/day and see how it goes but I would like get even lower, we will see. I spread my doses out 3x per day. I like to take 4mg when I wake up, 3mg 6 hrs later and 2mg another 4 hrs later. Taking the strongest dose upon waking works best for me; after all I’ve had 9 years to figure this out! Eventually I will go to dosing only 2x daily.
Buprenorphine works and has kept me away from self-medicating and the drugs which hurt me in the past. Buprenorphine also alleviates anxiety and depression for me which has been a problem in the past. Although anxiety and depression were never overwhelming or severe, they would show up at times. Also I am in my fifties now and the bupe takes care of any physical ailments. Unlike other opiates, tolerance is not a factor. Who wants to keep taking more and more to gain the same outcome? Thank you to everyone and good luck in staying clean and healthy.

Post subject: Re: How It All Started
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am 

You are welcome here! I'm sorry that your more preferred forum shut down, but I hope that we can fill the gap a bit.

I will stop back in tomorrow, but I just wanted to say a quick hello before heading to bed. Thanks for posting!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 pm 

Welcome wannaBdrugfree ,

Funny you mentioned the old Addiction Survivors Network. I just went there a few days ago and saw that it was closed for new posts. All the old ones can still be accessed so that's a good thing. Most everything a person needs to know about Buprenorphine can be found either here on this forum or over on theirs. It was the first one I joined too. Nancy was one busy moderator as she replied to everyone. Bless her heart and I hope she's doing well.

I've been on Suboxone since 2010 and I'm now in my low 60's. Each persons metabolism is different in how it processes the Buprenorphine. In my first year I started at 24 mg's and got down to 1 mg. Ended up having a very bad disease with multiple surgeries and stablized later at 6 mg's. About 9 months ago I started tapering down again and now I'm at 1 mg again.

For me, I just don't feel any ill effects of tapering as long as I go slow and steady. 1 mg now feels just like the 6 mg's did last year. What an amazing drug! It is easier for me mainly due to still getting the films. They are so very easy to cut into small pieces.

So what is your long term plan? I intend on staying on it for life unless something changes in my head. If the time is right for me to stop, then I will. Do you consider yourself a lifer? If so, you're in the right place. We encourage long term maintenance here. Why take a chance of slipping when the life saving drug is available?

Welcome once more to our forum and feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. This forum has some very long term members who know just about everything. Plus, we have two doctors who keep us properly informed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank-You for the welcome rule62,

Nancy was something else, just wonderful! You have really got your dose down, 1 mg. I would love to be at that dose! I know buprenorphine can be effective in small doses.

I hope you have are fully recovered from your disease/surgery. I am lucky in that arena so far and have not had any diseases/surgeries or serious health problems. I am really quite old fashioned when it comes down to modern medicine/doctors etc. I rely on buprenorphine, for me it’s a multipurpose medicine. It is the only medication I take, period, nothing else, zero.

I like the suboxone film also for the same reason (easy to cut to smaller pieces/for tapering or small doses) and I have an extra supply of the 8mg films from the past. I was getting headaches and withdrawal from the suboxone films. If I were able to taper to lower doses, Suboxone would work just fine and to be honest if Suboxone were my only choice, I would stay with it. I read an article about Bunavail and felt it held some advantages over suboxone. I am getting the 2.1/0.3mg Bunavail films/strips. I am sure you know about the equivalency charts online comparing drugs like zubsolv and Bunavail to Suboxone. So when I say 8mg, I have converted my dose in terms of Suboxone. I no longer get the headaches or withdrawals since switching to Bunavail.

Tomorrow I will drop from 9mg/day to 8mg/day and continue to taper. Actually, as I taper, I am feeling as if the buprenorphine has more potency and many of those who have posted say the same thing (smaller doses of buprenorphine work better). I definitely have a guilt complex regarding the reliance on any drug, period. But for now it is OK!

As far as long term, I will most likely stay with it. I hope and pray that researchers find nothing seriously wrong with this drug; it is almost to good to be true and has been a Godsend in the medical community.

Thank-You again rule62

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 pm 

I'm happy for you that Bunavail is working so well for you. There are quite a number of people who complain of headaches while on the Suboxone strips. Switching from the strips has done you good, it sounds like.

Why do you guys think that the Addiction Survivors Network shut down? Do you think that Nancy didn't have enough help and got burned out? Maybe she didn't cultivate more mods? All speculation since I don't actually know or know her.

I'm trying to think of what to call you that is shorter than your user name. WannaB? :D

I mean no offense.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:33 am 

Hello WannaBdrugfree! Welcome.

Some of ur journey is a little bit similar to mine. In high school I smoked a lot of weed. I wasn't out of control with it or anything. I stopped smoking it after awhile because I started getting paranoid lol. I was literally able to just drop it and go on. After having each of my children, I'd lose the baby weight by going to those weight loss clinics that gave u adapex (sp?). That stuff breathes lots of energy into new moms but I was always able to stop when I reached my old weight.

I started getting stress headaches just a few years before my active addiction started. I'd always take hydrocodone for the headaches and never abused them. Sure I'd notice a small energy boost but it didn't grab me. I had wisdom teeth removed and gallbladder surgery plus 3 children.... all involving scripts of hydrocodone and I never abused them or even finished the entire bottle. It wasn't until life became extremely stressful and my son's father introduced me to oxycodone 30's. That was the opiate that took me down. I had been ok with being able to stop addictive pills until that. I always wondered how I ever escaped active addiction until then. Oh well, I guess it's not something I study on but I do wonder occasionally why I was able to stop the other things.

So glad u found us wannaB!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Why do you guys think that the Addiction Survivors Network shut down? Do you think that Nancy didn't have enough help and got burned out? Maybe she didn't cultivate more mods? All speculation since I don't actually know or know her.I'm trying to think of what to call you that is shorter than your user name. WannaB?
Amy,the Addiction Survivors internet site could not have been more helpful for me, it was just wonderful, Nancy nailed it every time. The site ended abruptly, no warning, here one day and gone the next. The site can still be accessed on a limited basis. WannaB works for a shorter name.