It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm currently taking 1mg of suboxone a day, and i'm wondering how to taper off.

I started on suboxone a year and a half ago at 8mg/a day. I stayed on that for about a year, then started tapering. I tapered down to a half and then eventually a quarter and just two days ago a half of a quarter (1mg).

How do you go about getting completely off??? and what should I expect?

Thank you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I didn't do a taper myself, but from what I heard the 2mg strips are the best way to taper since you can cut them the smallest. Most around here will tell you to reduce 10% at a time and let yourself stabilize at each dose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TikiStyles is right, they make a 2mg strip which you could easily cut into very small doses. If you're stuck with the 8mg films, then you'll probably need small scissors and tweezers (which several have done) to get small, small doses.

I'd recommend you get down to .5mg or lower before you jump. Once under .5mg, the wd isn't reduced too much by going lower and lower. Jumping from .5mg usually means a few days of wd that's on the mild side and several more days of wd that's just a pain in the ass. For the most part, people jumping from in and around .5mg usually feel pretty much "normal" around 20 days or so.

With all that ^^^^ said, wd can be highly individual. You may have a rougher time, you may have an easier time. It's almost impossible to predict 100% what's going to happen.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im actually stuck with the 8mg pills. It's getting to the point where i have to just put powder under my tongue since it crushes at such small doses. :evil:

Thank you guys for your recommendations though. I think I'm just going to go to .5mg but would skipping doses every other day help?
(ie: mon: .5 tues: 0 wed: .5, ect)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ugh, I didn't realize you were on the tabs. Well, you have to work with what ya got, right?

Once you're down to .5mg and you feel stable there, skipping days is a good option. We've had a few people in the past here who got down to .5mg, skipped 1 day, things weren't bad, so they skipped another day, things weren't bad and they ended up never taking any more Suboxone. You may get lucky and find that happens to you, or you may find you need to get a couple of sessions of skipping days under your belt before you stop.

The best thing you can do right now to minimize your wd is to eat right and start getting some exercise in, if you aren't already. The healthier you are going into wd usually means the lighter the wd.