It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there,
I thought I'd write about something near and dear to me- dual diagnosis. It seems to me that the more I seek about this topic, the less I find. I can find quite a lot on addiction, my Achilles heel... Or on bipolar- my constant battle. But the combined two, what the professionals who are currently working with me have openly told me is 'the most difficult to treat', well there isn't much for us. So, I'm left feeling a little isolated and less than hopeful at times. I will say I have been on subs for over 90 days, but I do think as far as my 'mood' is concerned, well it was better off before. I do not feel that I will or want to relapse, but I feel like I don't know how to handle both of these. It's like the chicken and the egg saying. Idk which came first or what to take care of first. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there like me I guess...?? Hope you all are well and staying strong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again,

While I don't have first hand experience with dual diagnosis, I know that you are definitely not alone. It's very common, and my friends who've struggled the most seem to have two or more issues going on. We have a long time member here, named TeeJay, who has been very open about his struggles, and the different methods he's used to try and manage addiction and other disorders. He's currently in a treatment center right now but he's good about checking in. You may want to read some of his previous threads, you may relate to some of what he says. Hopefully more will chime in..

You're right though, it's very hard to get to the root of either disorders when they're both so tightly linked, and especially when both are active. Hang in there!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks u for ur reply :) and I will check out his threads.
Best wishes.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:38 pm 

Hi UrgrlAmbam, and welcome to the forum!

I truly hope you can find some answers to your questions. This subject is also very dear to me. My best friend and previous sponsor from AA took his own life due to not being able to control his life. Sometimes the meds worked and other times they didn't. When he went manic, it was sky high. So in return he sunk down very low afterwards. He never did tell me what meds the doctors had him on. He took his life after his Dr. cut him off the meds. So you can see, my experience with your affliction is not good. How bad are your mood swings?

My thought was that Suboxone would have helped you, not make it worse. A lot of people take it for depression and have had good results with it. So yes, do your research and keep trying until some sort of treatment is found to help.

We'll try to keep this topic alive until you get some replies.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, this subject is near and dear to me as I am an opiate addict, alcoholic, and diagnosed Bipolar 1, so lot of stuff goin on up there but anyways I have "personally" found that Suboxone has helped in all 3 of my problems.. To me it is a miracle drug that I stopped getting high on long ago and now use for maintenence. I have found that 8mg a day is my sweet spot, some days I take more but never less. Either way it has worked wonders in my life I just hope I get approved for Medicaid so I can continue to afford it.. I bought just one strip the other day and it was $13.80, kind of ridiculous but a lot cheaper than my $100 a day habit before. Good luck to all!!