It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Houston - Subutex
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Does anyone know if there is a doctor in Houston willing to rx subutex?

I have a problem with oral delivery of oxycodone. That's it. No needless no sniffing no selling PERIOD. Therefore it does not make sense to me that I should be paying double for what amounts to a "security device" that provides no value for me. Not to mention ingesting a chemical that provides no clinical value.

I asked my doc about that and he said it is against his offices policy. While I understand the policy, it is irritating that the suboxone vs subutex decision is not individualized for each patient.

Post subject: Re: Houston - Subutex
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The whole subutex vs. suboxone thing is so outrageous. It's so pointless. Hope you can find a doctor willing to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:47 pm 

Yes, you are correct, it is a stupid law or rule that prevents doctors from prescribing plain ole Buprenorphine. There are strict rules and guidelines they have to follow so don't be too hard on your Sub Dr.

If it is really that important to you, ask for a Butrans patch of 20 mcg's. I think the patch comes in 5, 10, & 20 microgram doses. Do the math on the 20 and it came out to roughly 2 mg's of Bupe delivered throughout the day. They last for one week. It keeps you nice and steady with no highs or lows. Yes, I've had them.

Problem is, it won't stop the cravings. It is meant for pain management. But that is the only thing I know of except Subutex that is pure Bupe and nothing else.

But why do you care about the Naloxone? It does nothing and is almost inert in that low dose. Taken sublingually, it has very little if any side effects at all. So just take your Sub and work on a recovery plan for when you want to stop taking it. That may be soon, or it may be many years from now. Maybe never. I tapered down to 1 mg, stopped the Sub and got back on Hydrocodone for surgical pain. After two weeks I started abusing them again and went back on Suboxone. I really thought I could walk away from both Sub and all opiates but I was wrong. They have such a hard binding effect on the brain that you have to plan it out just right. I did it all wrong with no plan at all. Actually, I was forced into it but still thought I could handle it.

For now, just get stable on Sub and give it some time. Then you can plan your next move.

Just a suggestion.

r

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If I recall correctly its is also against the "law" to Rx butrans for addiction therapy and it is only available for pain, I could be wrong so don't take my word for it. I am prescribed generic subutex so there are reasonable doctors out there they are just few and far between it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 pm 

That is correct Bup. There needs to be a diagnosis in order to prescribe. Suboxone is for opiate abuse and Butrans is for pain. The Dr. would have to change it to pain management.

Like you said, they are far and few between. I'd spend all day or more trying to find one who will prescribe it.

Me? I have no problem with Suboxone. If by chance a miracle happens and I get pregnant then I'll ask for it. Kind of doubtful for a man.

rule

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think it's the cost issue that's bugging you if I'm correct? It totally sucks when you pay out of pocket and the doctor will not/ cannot prescribe the cheaper straight bupe. I was switched to subutex when insurance stopped paying. Unfortunately, that lasted only 4-5 months and he said there was some kind of crackdown forcing me back onto Suboxone. Personally, I think it's some kind of conspiracy! But that's probably just my tinfoil hat talking again.