It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 30 hours since last dose
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Its been 30 hours since I took my last 8 milligram strip. I stopped after a month without any taper do to health concerns after starting suboxone. Im just curious to when the withdrawal period starts. I know its probably not going to be pretty, but I have to do this. I need to prove to myself that I'm stronger than some damn pill or syrup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When it starts depends on how far your blood level is from the threshold or ceiling level. Once it drops below that point, buprenorphine acts as just another opioid agonist.

For the other people who will read your post... The approach that I've seen be successful for any addiction, including opioid dependence, is the approach mirrored by step groups (NA, AA, etc)-- long-term sobriety happens when the person finally realizes that he is WEAKER than the pill or substance, i.e. 'powerlessness'-- therefore it must be avoided. Their approach is consistent with what I see as well; relapses START when a person thinks 'maybe I'm stronger than the substance....'

After all, if you are stronger than opioids, why stop? Why not just use, and control them? Or why not use today, to help tolerate the hassles of life.... and then just stop tomorrow?

Buprenorphine introduces a confounding variable-- it is an opioid that CAN be controlled.... but I encourage people to welcome an attitude of powerlessness over their drug of choice. That makes everything suddenly so easy-- you just have to stay the heck away from it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been going to NA and therapy, I think after 8 yrs of this I've just had enough. I know what you are saying makes total sense, and you are the expert but personally I had to stop. While the suboxone did wonders to stop the ritual that came along with use and curb the cravings, the side effects my body started experiencing 3 days after my first dose werent healthy. I WISH I could have stayed on it longer. When I talk about being stronger, its more a matter of being stronger than my DOC.

Thank you for replying..

And p.s. Im 80 hrs out, just some yawning and a little tired, but this isnt half as bad as I thought it would be. And what you are doing for people is an amazing thing.. I'm glad theres drs like you.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

wood like 2 chAT with u later, 6 pm ?