It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think my weaning situation is a little different, plus I have no support because only one person really knows I was on suboxone, so I figured I would post here.

First, my sub experience. I've been on for about 9 months, on and off, never off more than 2 days without help from oxy or methadone (I know that sounds irresponsible but I was never prescribed suboxone, my friend started giving them to me when we decided to stop oxy, so sometime she doesn't have enough for me.) I've never taken more than 6 mgs and usually 2-4 mgs a day. It helped me tremendously, but now that at I want to stop I'm scared to death being that I travel for a living and can't call out of work without losing thousands of dollars for the company I work for. Also, I was diagnosed with PTSD by the VA and have been on Xanax for 7 yrs, which is why I always kept my sub dosage low.

Last week, I took a 4 mgs of sub on Monday, 8 days ago, then took methadone (10mg) for 3 days, then an oxy (30 mg) on that Friday because I had run out of subs. Saturday I did nothing, by choice, even though my friend gave me a sub (8mg.) Sunday night, St Patty's Day, I took 2mgs of suboxone at around 5 pm because I felt tired and I needed to pack for work. Since then it has been 52 hours and have been reading nothing but horror stories on the net. So far all I've had is a painful stomach cramps (on my flight from Tampa to Houston no less) and there's nothing like emergency toilet use on a packed airplane :) I've also been tired and depressed. I'm a 32 year old man and I've actually been crying like a teenage girl, in private, and I haven't even hit the 72nd hour! I'll be traveling all this week, all next week, and probably all week after that.

I only have 8 mgs of sub left in case it does hit me at 5 pm tomorrow night, divided into four 1mgs and eight .5 mgs.

I guess my question is, since I was off subs most of last week, and was on such a low dose throughout the duration of my use, that maybe it won't hit me hard on hour 72? Again, I jumped off at 2 but hadn't taken any subs for 6 days before that using methadone and 1night of oxy. I will keep posting as this is the only place I can talk about this, or choose to anyway.

I appreciate any input, information, or support anyone can give :)

--NYG

Post subject: Hour 64
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hour 64, at work (I know the half-life is not etched in stone.)

Now I know what RLS is, I was practically jogging in place in bed last night and had to take extra Xanax on top of OTC sleeping pills just to get to sleep. Feel ok today, just a little depressed and taking Imodium for stomach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi NYG!

Glad you're hanging in there. I personally don't think you are going to be "hit hard".. I think you'll continue to experience these annoying symptoms for a while though. The restless limbs, stomach issues, lethargy.. etc. Hopefully the xanax is helping at night although a longer acting benzo could be more helpful. What kind of sleep did you get last night?

Also, anything from the brat diet is helpful for tummy issues. Bananas, rice, apples & toast.. it's all binding. You may try that if your issues are only slightly irritating so as not to over use the immodium. I eat two bananas every morning for breakfast just because they are easy to grab and go.

Hope today goes ok for you!!

ETA: I could be wrong about being hit hard but I hope I'm right.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi TD.
Typing from my phone in Houston airport so forgive typos. Thanks for your reply :) Once I took another xanax I slept about 5 hours, so not that bad. Thanks for the advice on the binding foods :D It's hard to healthy on the road but the foods you mentioned they do sell in most airports so I'll try to eat those. I'm flying from Houston to Columbia, SC and will actually hit hour 72 in flight. If it hits me hard tonight I'm just going to take a 1mg of sub and wean down properly. It would be impossible for me to work and travel with w/d. I hope you're right in that it won't hit me hard. I should be able to post tonight which will be about hour 72-78. Gotta run, about to take off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again,

Traveling.. It can be done. I have theory that traveling helps take the mind off if w/d, but, it depends on how severe the w/d symptoms are, obviously. My husband travels a lot for work and had to fly to Thailand a week after jumping. He got down really low and basically walked off though... so it's probably not comparable.

Hmmm.. airport food. Ugh!! I always look for an Au Bon Pain. They have fruit, made to order sandwiches, soups, baked goods, salads. I usually grab a mix of different foods to bring on the plane. BANANAS.

Keep me posted! Good luck with your work and travels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What do you mean "he got down really low and basically walked off though"?

SO FAR though I would have to agree that being on the road has occupied my mind so that I don't dwell on the mental part. I had stomach pains and bad RLS last night, but today I feel ok, a little down and more stomach pains, but my schedule is so hectic I haven't had time to think about being down.

Then again, I am on hour 72 as I type this and I think tonight or tomorrow morning the sh*t will either hit the fan....or....I'm praying it won't. I can do what I'm going through now standing on my head for a month as long as I'm occupied. If it DOES hit me, in the way I've read that it has others, I will have to take a mg of sub and wean down like I should have. I just didn't know...my friend and I thought it was a miracle drug that got you off of hard opiates. I also have a feeling that a lot of doctors have no clue what they're doing with suboxone, including my friends doc. Starting people off at 32 mgs!? :shock: I never took more than 6 mgs and it worked great.

Anyway, I did have three drinks and a Xanax on the plane being that, a year ago I always took an oxy or in the last year a suboxone when I fly, so I needed something on the plane and it helped. That was it though, just three drinks on the plane, now I have to find something to occupy myself while I wait for what ever comes. I read the half life can go up to 70 hours in the extreme, meaning 140 hours (almost six days.) Who knows. Waiting for this is making me anxious. Either get here or don't!

Thanks again for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

By 'walked off', I mean he got down to like .2mg and had very minor symptoms when he finally quit. I didn't hear him complain about much at all. But still, he had to travel and work through it. I worked and traveled but it wasn't until 2 months (give or take) later that I did real traveling. There was a point, I had to travel across the country a few weeks after jumping though but it was brief. I did feel better when traveling, though, than when I was sitting still at home. It is definitely much better to have your mind on other things.

Gahh!! I would hate it if I'm wrong but I really don't think you're going to get that punch to the gut that you're expecting. For me, it was more about the duration of these symptoms that you're having now. Hey, are you hot & cold? Sneezing? Anything else besides tummy, RLS & a bit of lethargy?

Hey a drink and a xanny on a plane sounds awesome right about now.. LOL. (teasing.. kind of)

Try not to be anxious.. k? That won't help.. Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry, I'm New to the hard drug lingo, I get it now. Walking off at that low of a dose, from what I've read, is the best way to curb w/d. I jumped off (kinda, not really) at 2 mgs, which is why I'm worried. If I feel the same as I do know, I hope I stay on the road because being home is SO lonely. I live in a house by myself, broke up with my gf, all of my friends are on oxy or subs, and I love my parents but I sure as hell can't tell them what's going on. So...yeah I would rather be working if I stay this way. I have PTSD, so I'm used to being anxious, no biggie.

I hope you're right too :) A little cold but sneezing like a mofo. The weird thing is, my brain is like a roller coaster. I feel good right now but I just cried watching"Born on the Fourth of July" on Netflix, which is not like me. BTW, anyone reading this and going through w/d, do not watch that movie! Total downer. So I guess just sneezing and the stuff I mentioned before.

It's almost officially 76 hours and I'm starting to feel a little pathetic counting them like this but I think tonight will be the test.

I don't know your history. If you dont mind me asking, How long have you been off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm happy to hear you're sneezing already, I think that's a good sign. Sorry to hear about your home situation! All the better you're on the road. You gotta ditch the friends that are using, for reals. Ok, I won't lecture on that anymore.

You sound like a cool person.. I'm sure you'll get through this just hang in there.

You are going to shed plenty of tears and have the most amazing laughs.. get ready. The next little while, you're going to be really inspired in the most manic kind of way. It is totally a rollercoaster. If you can harness that into something positive, it will do you good. Try and find the humor or positive spin on what's happening around you. It really helps..

YES! Stop counting hours..lol. Keep posting though, it's good to express yourself and communicate what is going on. Not just for you but for others as well.

I was on suboxone for 6 years and have been off almost 8 months. I feel great but I still have a journey ahead. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks TD

Well I popped OTC sleeping pills an hour ago, still not tired, but I feel good. Probably going to take a Xanax soon if I don't fall asleep and if that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to be up all night. Only time will tell. Sorry but I will be counting the hours, can't help it. I'll probably post in the morning with my hour update lol.

8 months...good for you! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Half way in to day 3, nothing really bad. Going to sleep really sucked last night. I don't know if it was RLS or what but I was tossing and turning for about 5-6 hours and it felt like my whole body wanted to be squeezed really hard. Extremely unnerving. Other than that my stomach is settling down and still sneezing but nothing too bad except for sleep.

Could I be getting off this easy? It feels like I should be bedridden but I'm going to work with mild symptoms. Maybe I'm speaking too soon. 87 hours :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, the twitching throughout the night, it's more like restless body syndrome.. sigh. But hey, overall, it's not as bad as you thought, right? Keep doing whatever you're doing! Keep tiring yourself out everyday. How are you feeling mentally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi NYG,

I'm glad to see you are doing well. Don't feel guilty about getting out of this easy. I would be dancing in the street! I think the best thing is for you to stay busy, it sounds like you are having a relatively mild withdrawal so stop counting the hours dude! You have probably made it through the hard stuff. I wouldn't expect it to get any worse than it already is. But like TD said it may last awhile. I have been through sub withdrawal several times but never for more than a week at a time so she most definitely has me beat in experience there! But, with any luck I will soon be where she is. Heck, with any luck I will soon be where you are! Just stick it out and you won't have to go through this again. I know, easier said than done huh?

I cracked up when you said it felt like your body wanted to be squeezed all over. RLS is one of my major nemesis during WD. It sounds like you have a classic case. Just a tip, for me the OTC sleeping pills always make my RLS worse. I don't know why, it's like it makes my body over tired but then I can't sleep. It's just a terrible cycle. I would stick to the xanax and if you can get ambien it really helps.

Keep updating on your progress, now that I have seen your posts I want to know that you have done well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 pm 

Go NYG! You can do this! I'm glad you are getting through. Another good helping med is clonidine, which is a blood pressure drug that works well on withdrawal symptoms. If you could get your hands on some of that you might get better sleep.

I agree with TD that you should try to stay away from any friends that use. It's just too much of a temptation to see someone use in front of you, or know that you could score from that person.

I hope your day is going OK!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm back in my hotel now. When I had lunch on the road I usually had a beer and a sub and went back to work and trained people with a smile on my face :) Not anymore though, just one of those rituals that have to be broken.

TD, yes, they should definitely call it restless BODY syndrome. Definitely the worst part is doing the funky chicken in bed all night. Mentally I actually feel good. No depression spurts or crying when hearing a song on the radio. Long Long Time by Linda Rondstadt came on and instead of losing it I thought "I feel bad for her." I'm definitely thinking much more positive. I think you have to push positive thinking and not dwell on the bad crap in your life that you can't control when going through, not only a sober life, but especially through wd. The Xanax is helping A LOT. I also have been taking Wellbutrin SR for a couple of months now, 150 mgs, only in the morning, to get it in my system in preparation for the sub wd. I can't help but think that it's having a significant impact.

Plus, my libido is back! When I was working on a switch board I was staring at a girls butt and almost electrocuted myself :shock:

Thanks QHG, but I do feel a little guilty. Maybe my metabolism is fast or it's genetics or wellbutrin or the way I stopped subs last week as well. Who knows. From what I've read I feel like I'm getting away with murder. I didn't even take immodium today. I do agree that the OTC sleleping pills are amplifying the RLS but I need them to fall asleep and I can't get ambien for a while so I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Best of luck with your situation. I can't believe I'm giving advice but staying active, even though one wants to lay in bed and ride it out there because they're drained and sore, takes your mind off things. I laid in bed last week with no subs and it made things 5x worse mentally.

Amy, if the RLS does not go away, I'll order some clonidine. I know a reputable site that can send me some but it takes a while.

Thank you all so much for your support so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, now you're just making me laugh. I see your sense of humor is on point. WOO-HOO!!

Yes to the positive thinking.. glad you found some meds to help with your depression. Sounds like you're on track. Just be careful with those benzos and alcohol, k?

NYG wrote:
Plus, my libido is back! When I was working on a switch board I was staring at a girls butt and almost electrocuted myself :shock:

Oh yes, welcome back to your sexuality. Have you received the welcome packet and instructions manual yet? Saddle up and have fun! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much! Only had one beer today and laying off the Xanax but I have to fly home tomorrow through Atlanta, so we'll see. I hope I'm not jumping the gun but I think everything is ok except for sleep. The tough part is being home and trying not to get bored. That's where all of my bad habits are. I've had a gym membership for like two years and haven't been there in a year, so I think I'll start going. It's gonna be hard to stay away from friends that have bad habits being that they're my ONLY friends, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

At the very least, there is a thread on here with someone who didn't go through hell. I think there are a lot of people that have mild wd that never post anything as opposed to people who do or did and post all of the time. I'm not saying it isn't hell for some people, but I think cases like mine are extremely under reported. I hope this thread helps people that are as afraid as I was when jumping off and I REALLY hope I don't eat the words I just typed.

Now it's time to lie in bed and squirm around for a several hours....

BTW it's hour 100! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not ATL!! That is the worst airport.. shuttle.. tram.. blah.

How are you doing today? Update please...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow NYG, this is awesome! :D

I'm SO glad that you're w/d process is going "well" (if you want to call it that :shock: ) lol.

It sounds like you're at a pretty good place mentally. This is a huuuge factor! That and staying active. Good for you bud! I'm almost on 40 days of sobriety. Sounds to me like you'll be there in no time, too!

The fact that you "read" horror stories" and now have your own personal perspective about it all says one thing. That YOURE doing it now! Bravo. Stay positive like you are (it may be hard at times, that's ok! One day at a time, or hour for you right now :) ) and I'm sure you will perspire. Please keep us updated. Stories like yours are awesome for me to read about. You're never alone :)

Take good care of yourself!
-Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yesterday, in the morning I was a pretty down because I had a lot of things to do for work, had very little sleep, and knew I had to travel all day. Although, generally I have NEVER been a morning person...always been a night owl. Flying sucked. Columbia, SC then a long crappy stop in Atlanta, then a flight to Tampa, then an hour or so drive through rush hour to my house.

As the day went on I felt better and better. I did drink beer when I got home....a little too much, which I DO NOT recommend. I ended up sleeping 7 hours on and off probably because of the alcohol. I was too buzzed for RLS but my stomach is paying this morning. Mentally I feel very good right now, probably because I have no responsibilities until Monday. I'm going to take it easy today for sure! Just going to stay in and watch funny shows on Netflix and HBO Go. I think watching the type of comedy you like really helps mentally. You need to laugh.

Jen, I think the mental part IS about 90% of wd. If I feel like crap but I'm happy, it's just an inconvenience. When I'm down and feel like crap, I want to just curl up in a ball. I just need to stay active. When I was drinking last night I had all this energy and was doing weird things. I decided to mentally memorize all the US presidents in chronological order...WTF? I can only go up to 11 so far, which I think is pretty good for a couple of hours, right? Today I'll try to finish what I started...SOBER :)

Yes TD, that shuttle bus SUX! I'm surprised I've never seen anyone get hurt as it almost violently accelerates and breaks as if a teenage boy is driving it :shock:

I usually get really down right before I leave town, probably because I used to be high all weekend and had to face reality. I know I won't be happy to fly to freezing ass Minnesota Monday and won't get back home until late Friday night, but maybe being sober this weekend will soften the mental blow I used to get. BTW, I ordered some clonidine but won't receive it for 10-21 days. RLS and lack of sleep has been the worst part of this so far.

Thanks so much for the support! Thank god for this forum. It really helps to talk people who are, or were in the same boat :D