It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 10 hours down, 14 to go
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Gang,

So took my last dose yesterday at 5 :40 pm after grandkids went home following a nice Thanksgiving dinner.. It's now 3:40 am and of course I can't sleep. Woke up about a half hour ago with the usual restless heebie jeebies. The dose was earlier than usual as I don't want to be up late into tonight dosing myself with bupe if I can help it. Also a bit smaller. Maybe I should have made it a little easier on myself by taking my usual, but too late to second guess now. My thinking was the quicker I get into WD the better.

Funny things is I'm almost welcoming the symptoms. I need to be free of this. Monkey on the back
is the perfect metaphor. Need to kill the monkey.

i Imagine there'll come a time today when the last thing I'll feel like doing is putting up posts, but for now it's a help in getting through these early in the process hours.

Rule, if you're reading this, I got about as far as I could reasonably hope to get with the tolerance lowering
mission, The trouble with a lower tolerance is that the lower you go the greater the temptation to
take a bit more. But it's all a distant echo of what I used to get. Much pain, very little gain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:46 am 

Go Godfrey! You can do it!!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:59 am 

Great job Godfrey! I think we've all been waiting for u to do this so you'll see what a blessing it can be :) U can do it! U will do it!

Keep us posted on ur progress ☆☆

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

11:33 AM

Surprised that I'm not that sick yet. General weakness, spells of restlessness, zero energy,
but really not terribly uncomfortable. I was even able to sleep more after first waking up very early in the morning. Beginning to think it's going to be longer than the 24 hours the doctors have advised.

Funny position to be in....rooting for myself to get sick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:20 pm 

Well I waited 32, although I think I could have went at 24 hours. But of course I was on a short acting opiate (oxycodone). I tell ya, I would have started at 32 hrs no matter what because I just wanted the withdrawal to stop. Back then, in the beginning, I didn't know a whole lot about precipitated withdrawal. It's amazing how clueless I was bk then lol. I didn't do hardly any research before I started my treatment either. If I'd known then what I know now about pw, I'd probably been scared of it too because I worry so much. I do understand why u tried to get ur tolerance down, I just don't think I could have actually done it, I definitely wasn't patient enough for that. I was so lost bk then that I did zero research except hearing it helped and just made the appointment. My consultation didn't sink in because I was high when I went. I just remember them saying to not take anything for 32 hrs prior to my appointment. So that's what I did, I was oblivious to anything else but knowing I was gonna be in withdrawal.

Ur almost there Godfrey. Use ur best judgement but don't over think it too much. Won't be long now ☆

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Jenn,

The support means a lot. I'm starting to get the yawns now....just enough to remind me the process continues as my receptors are gradually emptying out to make room for the bupe, kind of like a tide going out. Nothing I can do now but get through it. Earlier my wife heard me in the bathroom and knocked on the door wanting to know if I was "making tea." Made me feel bad as that's the last thing i have on my mind right now. But it reminded me of how much worry I've caused her. Addiction affects more than just the addict.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

24 hours arrives with a big thud. Appears the doctors were wrong as to how long this was
going to take, though I certainly don't blame them. Poppy tea is a rarity. I'm just going to have to wait
it out.

The symptoms come....and go...in waves. Every time I think the restless legs and arms are here to stay,
they resolve for a while. The only symptoms I'm getting now that I've not experienced before is a flushed
hot feeling, which isn't terrible. Also my nose is starting to run. I'm thinking based on how this is going,
it's going to be another 12 hours. Egad! (a word I don't have occasion to use much, but somehow fits the bill
right now)...

Peace.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hitting about 13 on the COWS. Finally getting somewhere. Worst is the restlessness. But it's all welcome in a way. as the worse it gets the quicker it will be over.

On my own personal misery scale developed with the help of leading scientists from all over the world, I'd say I'm about a 6 on a scale from 1-10. Answers to yes or no questions like, do I want to die, and would I make a deal with the devil for this to be over, are slowly changing from a firm no to maybe. But I'm still finding episodes of The Mindy Project funny.

So, still a ways to go. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:01 am 

This will all be worth it. Isn't it odd how our brains always expect the worst with withdrawal symptoms? For me, it was never all that bad but all I was taking was pain pills, not heroin or even Oxy's.

A drum roll please for the induction to take place.~~~~~~~

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:56 am 

You're doing a great job, Godfrey! My doctor wanted me to detox for 72 hours, So I actually detoxed for 60 hours. It still wasn't that bad though. I had xanax, clonidine, hyoscyamine (for stomach, intestines), and one more that I can't remember right now. What I appreciate about the long withdrawal period was the fact that I went from feeling like warmed over death to feeling like a normal, human, functioning person by the time I left his office. The Wow factor was pretty good.

Wait as long as you can stand.

And you're so right. Your addiction affects your spouse almost as much as it affects you. After you are well stabilized on buprenorphine, make sure you lean down and kiss her feet for putting up with you. I don't have to know you to know that her feet deserve those kisses.

Continue to update us! We're on your side!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much all...

31 hours and I saw my hand reaching for a half 8 mg tape. It was as if my hand had made the decision that we....that is my hand and I...had had enough.

Next two hours were genuinely hellish. I got worse after a few minutes...suddenly cramps, the runs, sweating, crazy, uncontrollable restlessness. Of course I was thinking PW, except that as bad as it was I didn't think I felt bad enough for that to be it. Looking back,,,,it's new 2:45 am...i think it was the fear of PW that triggered a worsening of symptoms. My pulse was racing, I couldn't stand still for more than half a second but somehow I didn't flip out entirely. I just didn't think it was full on, severe withdrawal.

In any case, after about two hours I suddenly felt slightly better. Right now, I'm still having trouble standing still long enough to type and still have the runs...But I'm better. I'd say 60 percent.

The first thing I did when I realized I was on the mend was run in to my sweet wife's bedroom...well it's mine too, just not tonight with all this activity....and told her I was better. She was as much or more relieved than I am.

Still not out of WD, still kicking feet and some nausea, headache (likely tension) but considering how it might have gone... I'm very grateful, especially to all you kind people who've been so encouraging, I'm really looking forward to a sober life. I'm a lucky man in so many ways.

As I understand it, given the size of my habit I might continue to have mild symptoms for a couple days. Mild I can handle

Though it would be nice if my right leg would quick kicking so i can get a little sleep
Funny how it's just the one leg now :-)

'Night All

Godfrey

Edit: Just to add, it's now 8:30 am . and the restless legs seem to have calmed down some. Boy I hope it continues as I could really use some sleep. Main problem now is nausea which I've concluded is likely from the bupe. In my rush to get it into my system I swallowed a lot of it (not knowing any better),

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:11 am 

Way to go Godfrey ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ (thats a virtual clap btw, very sad attempt I know)!

So what milligram have u decided on or are u just gonna take it as u go one step at a time? Ur left over feeling bad could be that u need a little more, but to play it safe maybe just wait it out.....I do NOT wanna tell u the wrong thing since I don't know anything about poppyseed tea tolerance. I'm just happy you've done ur induction. Great job, it can only go up from here.

▪▪▪▪▪ and I agree with Amy, ur wife deserves some extra attention for worrying right along with ya :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Jenn...Gonna be nice as pie for the rest of my life. Of course, i try to be that anyway.

IN answer to your question, it does appear that the bupe is not giving me enough coverage. I actually went to 32 as I knew I needed it. But I'll try to stay on 24 which is what he prescribed From here on. Any suggestions on how to divide it up. I took most of that 32 between about 12:30 and 2:am. Do I need to wait 24 hours? My doctor gave me very little guidance, and I neglected to ask.

Worst thing right now is the nausea. I hate puking and fight it as long as I can. I'm too sick to type more right now....

Many thanks

edit:fyi, I was warned this might happen. Part of why I waited so long...it was actually 31 hours...I think I said 32 up thread...as your tolerance is being reduced as you wait...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:01 pm 

32mg is pretty high, I don't know if that's what is making u sick or what, but 32mg is a high dose. Definitely as each passing hour u won't need 32mg I wouldn't think. 24mg is high but not unheard of and since I know nothing about poppyseed tea, I don't even know what exactly to advise ya on what dose to take. I would've thought that someone with knowledge on this tea stuff would have posted by now. That's what ya need, someone on buprenorphine that's switched over to from poppyseed tea tolerance suboxone.

As far as splitting up ur dose throughout the day, since ur on a higher dose, u could take 8mg on the morning, 8mg in the afternoon and 8mg in the evening.....something like that. I don't know about any of the poppyseed tea stuff but being on such a high dose of buprenorphine is possibly what's making u nauseous. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Hope u get to feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:31 pm 

What we forgot to mention was that it can take upwards of 1-2 weeks for your body to stabilize on the Suboxone. Be patient, it is a shock to your system and allow it to adjust to its new maintenance medication.

I was going to copy and paste a post from our good Dr. Junig on a previous inductions similar to yours where we said almost the same thing. You will adjust and be fine sooner rather than later.

Great news!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:01 pm 

Yes, it actually took me around a month to get to where I fully felt 100%. So ur doing fine, in about 2 weeks to a month, you'll be breezy :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Jenn and rule...I've seen that bupe can cause nausea which usually resolves in a few days (hopefully).

I did some online searching yesterday and found 32 mg 's is sometimes prescribed for high tolerance people. In hindsight It was good that I waited as long as I did as that reduces tolerance...and reduces chance of PW. Boy that was hairy for a while. i did learn that there's lots of mind body stuff to be aware of. I"m almost certain it was all those fear hormones. (are they hormones?) that caused such a reaction. Wiped the rest of the agonist right out of those receptors...good thing when starting bupe if painful.

Well I finally puked. Made the mistake of using too much toothpaste and that started me gagging and from that point there was no doubt how I was going to end up. With my head in the you know what. But I do feel a bit better for it. I was watching TV all last night while this was going on and I was too sick to look for the remote which I'm constantly losing, Anyway, I was kind of a bad TV hostage. Tracy Ullman was on, which is so bizarrely unfunny, a couple of terrible movies. The though of any one of them starts me gagging. Funny how that stuffs becomes associated with certain stimuli, even lousy TV shows. I still can't drink Scotch because I got sick on it when I was like 15. Just a whiff of it is sickening to me...

I think I'll go slow on the bupe...taking 4 mg's at 2 another 2 at 2:30, then repeat 2 more times. I'm beginning to see this ain't rocket science. People do all kinds of weird things and manage to end up ok.

Edit:just to add, I don't want to sound flip above. Just trying to reassure myself things will be o.k.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:52 pm 

Hi Godfrey, So happy to hear that you are finally on the other side! Sorry that you continue with stomach issues. My induction went so smooth it scared me! I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never happened. My dr. told me to wait twenty four hours and then start with an 8mgs strip. I waited 32 hours because at 24 I did not feel that bad. My drug of choice was tramadol. I was taking up to 30 to 40 50 mg pills per day. I had weaned down to about 20 pills a day and took the last of them on Friday morning. On Saturday morning I still felt fine. On saturday evening I was feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin! By 2am I could not take it anymore and took my first 8mgs. I started to feel better almost immediately from the physical stuff. At 5am I took another 8mg strip. Within 20 minutes I felt great. I climbed back into bed and my husband aske how I was. I said that I felt good and we both fell into a deep sleep. I remember waking up at 8 am and thinking wow, I can not believe how good I feel. As my dr had prescribed 24mgs a day, I took a third strip then. We both got up to start our day at 10 and I was feeling great. From that sunday on I took an 8mg strip at 8, 4, and 8 each day. I think I dropped down to 16mgs within about 6 months. I had just been reading so much about how less is more with suboxone. I have found that to be very true! I am now down to 2mgs twice per day. Wishing you continued success! Please continue to post so we know how you are doing!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:14 pm 

Things will be OK.

I think this is why many doctors have you do the induction in their office. You have probably taken too much. For me there was a very clear delineation between feeling bad, still feeling bad after 8 mg and then feeling miraculously better after 12 mg. However, I went through a 20 minute period that evening when I felt terrible. I had no idea what a PW was at the time. I called my doctor and he told me to take 4 mg more and that's how I ended up on 16 mg.

If someone had been there to guide you, I'm pretty sure that they would have had you wait longer and go slower with the induction. I don't think you will end up on 32 mg. The stomach upset is most likely because you have too much buprenorphine in your system and too much naloxone as well.

I think you'll end up fine. Even if you end up on more than you need, your body will adjust to it. And then you need to drop down to taking your dose once a day.

Sorry it's been kind of a roller coaster, but you're on the other side now and it will get better. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
After you are well stabilized on buprenorphine, make sure you lean down and kiss her feet for putting up with you. I don't have to know you to know that her feet deserve those kisses.

Continue to update us! We're on your side!

Amy

Ewww.....toes??

(I can't say nothing tho...!)

Glad to see a story like this ...I remember my induction.
I did it in a methadone clinic...not the best way to start out..but it was all I could find 8 years ago in this area.

I went from wearing 3 layers of clothing...to wearing a short sleeved shirt before I left his office.
The chills/sweats/cramps/nausea...it was all gone at 8mg. But, I think my brain told me that I needed more..and i continued until I got to 16.

When I finally got a dr in an office setting..and insurance paying for the meds...I got up to 24mg.

Even still, to this day, I still am prescribed 24mg.

I am saving up right now...for whatever may happen in the future. You just never know in this day and time.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.