It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:16 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been taking suboxone via the 8mg strips for about 6 months and the taste is staying with me for most of the day. It can be felt in my throat and stomach and is impacting my appetite. Although i dont vomit i am not far from it and the sensation makes me wonder if it is reacting with my stomach lining. I am on 32mg by way of 4 strips.
Cheers if any one can help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You would need to taste it less if you lowered your dose. I rarely prescribe more than 16 mg per day, although many patients initially believe they need more... but at some point they end up in a situation where they run out early, and have to get by on a half strip per day. When that happens they see that 4 mg does the same thing as 24 mg.

There is a huge psychological factor to 'withdrawal', probably because of the impact of years of conditioning. People get a hot flash, and the mind goes to 'withdrawal'. Memories of withdrawal experiences are played back, and sweats become chills, fatigue, etc.

I'll sometimes ask patients wanting a higher dose to dose once per day in the AM, and avoid dosing on the morning of their next appointment. Then they may come back to say that they have severe withdrawal in the evening. But I will look at their pupils, touch their skin, have them sit quietly... and point out that they were having 'severe withdrawal' 15 hours ago, but even now they still have smallish pupils, dry skin, and they can sit quietly without legs jumping. My point is if the withdrawal was severe last night, it would be worse now--- and it is not significant now.

Patients never like this lesson, and some never accept it. In cases where patients aren't even willing to listen I have to wonder if something else is going on-- for example are they sharing with a spouse?

Anyway, too long of an answer... but also realize that people on average absorb less than 30% of a dose. if you increase dosing efficiency, and reduce your dose to something more reasonable like 16 mg per day or less, you will spend far less time with Suboxone in your mouth!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks
I did go back to 24mg for 10 days and felt pretty much the same but my script got out of whack and i had to dose in front off the chemist twice in 7 days so stayed on the 32mg so my next 2 months script wasnt reduced. I guess old habits die hard but i like to build an emergency supply and as i pay the same amount for 2mg or 32mg it seems to make sense.
I still wonder about the horrible caustic taste and if it does impact on the throat and stomach i have looked high and low and cant get much info about it. Is the taste the actual 2 chemicals or an addative to discourage children and other accidents?
I tried the pasting technique on 24mg and there was less long lasting taste. I have 2 months before next meet with my Doc so after xmas i will start to work down as low as i can go.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too was hooked on suboxone, had a vomit like feeling. It works for me because I really was not looking to get high, I just wanted to be normal again. I take 2mgs in the am and 2mgs in the pm and it is working very well for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mikib,

I can't remember who posted about something similar but they used a Listerine Breath strip and placed the sub stripe in the middle of the Listerine Breath strip and that masked the taste.

Oh I remember now... They were trying to lower their dose and by placing the sub strip on the Listerine breath strip they would not be able to tell if they were taking less . But either way it would be an idea to try

I guess that the strong Mint of the breath strip would help mask the orange flavor . But I hope it would not make it taste worse. Worth a shot. the other poster did this and never had an issue with the taste while doing this. just a thought .