It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all, I've currently been on suboxone for about four months 24mg/day. I don't take any other medication. Well everything has been fine up until about 3 weeks ago. Every time I try to sleep I go into these terrifying dreams where I'm aware that I'm trying to sleep
..I don't know if I'm awake or what it is but I have these terrifying visions every single night...I'm usually unable to move but my eyes are open...for instance two nights ago I woke up feeling something run across my chest..I really felt it...it was dark and I heard it stop at the end of my bed and whatever it was began this creepy growling at me for what seemed forever until I was able to get out a growling noise of my own...then I heard it drop to the floor...sounded about the size of a small dog...I don't have rats. Amlnyway the next night I heard something in the room with me....I now sleep with an light on like a child....other things are recurring terrifying dreams where there's always a large snake around...and other danger looming. I've also heard voices outside or very close...I've listened to a what I understood was a firefighter carrying on a conversation with someone outside...or a extremely loud news report from a television that wasn't there ....actual conversations that I had to shake away. I get next to no sleep anymore and I can always count on these nightmares, paralysis, terrors or whatever. There have been a few times the dreams haven't been anything but strange...sometimes I enjoy the ride. The sleep I do get I'll think is hours when in reality it'll be less than 45 min. Anyway I know none of this makes sense and I have a hard time explaining myself...I've spent a week reading on here about dream related side effects but none seem to fit my situation ....the ones I've read are dealing with tapering. I have never dealt with anything like this before and its driving me friggin crazy. Any help as to what I can do to get this under control or even what it could be from....I dread taking my sub...but I need it to function. Sorry if its jumbled I need some damn sleep! Once or twice a week isn't cutting it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:51 pm 

Hey LM, and welcome to the forum! What you describe sounds like typical opiate side effects. A lot of people hallucinate when given Morphine in the hospital. Some hospitals use different drugs like Demerol or Fentynal in an attempt to avoid those effects. Whether or not that is what is happening to you, no member here can say.

Tell us more about your drug history before induction. IMO, 24 mg's is too high of a dose to stay on for a long time but many members here have done it without any of the weird stuff happening.

Do you take your dose in the morning? If you take it too close to bedtime then those types of dreams can occur. Again, just my opinion as everyone is different.

Have you tried to taper down a little? I too started at 24 mg's and knew right away it was too much. Talk to your doctor (if you're seeing one) and explain what you told us here. It may just be a dose adjustment or not taking it too close to sleep time.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lobster,cool name btw,Like rule said definitely talk to your doctor...I have horrible nightmares as well although they are a whole different type and I have them because of my time in the military but I can tell you they got worse after quitting all the drugs .. I can't really give u any advice but was curious if you take your 24mg all at once and like rule said if its before or close to bedtime ? I know that for me (I take mine in smaller separate doses for pain)when I quit taking that close to bedtime dose the dreams didn't quit but it seemed to help..good luck

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:27 pm 

Hey Lobster,
Love the name also...
Ive read on this forum a few times of others having this problem.
Go to the Sub Search box and type in Slepp Paralysis an sub.
You will find many posts on this subject. You are not alone in this.
As Rule stated, opiates can All do kinds of things to our brains. So take a look at those.

Ive had drug inducted paralysis before. Scary stuff. Eyes open, cant move..

Good luck and hang in there..
Also, it may be a good idea to think about a dose drop. Im no dr but 24mgs is fairly high..

Razor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all, thanks for the quick responses..its nice to be here with everyone. A little abouty drug history and why I'm on 24/day; 1 8/2 in morning, another afternoon and one at bedtime. I had a horrible work accident back in 2006 where my left hand was sucked into a machine that rolls sheet metal. I was admitted to a pain clinic after a year of rehab and plenty of time to get addicted to pills etc. My pain clinic started me out trying fentanyl patches and other things but I preferred the pills as they got me high and killed all the pain...I was getting 150 lortab 10s & 150 percocet 10s a month and they still didn't last more than two weeks...I think I was gobbling about 28 a day....fast forward till I found suboxone and it really is a miracle to me...it kills my pain and no more wasting all my time and neglecting family hunting just to get enough to function ( I was kicked out of the pain clinic in 08 for dirty urine for thc ...best thing that could have happened to me IMO). I just can't handle these dreams, I'll probably have my Dr cut m me down to 16mg a day and see if that helps, I really would Like to find out others experiences and if they have found a way to poof them away or just not daily...I've never had any opiate dreams before ..nothing so life like and scary. Thank you all for the support so far!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I can confirm that when I take it I will have extremely vivid dreams that I can sometimes mistake for reality. They can vary very differently each night but seems like an overload of REM sleep with crazy dreams

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey lobster, your experience sounds terrifying! I can't even imagine, although I have read some threads here about similar experiences happening. I don't think anyone can say for sure that is dose related, but I certainly hope that adjusting your dose helps. I was started on 24 mgs, and while I didn't have any bothersome side effects, I did find that if I took it in the evening, I had trouble getting to sleep. I was able to lower my dose within a couple months with no discomfort to 12 mgs. So hopefully, if the sub is the cause, the combination of lowering and not dosing in the evening will help you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I get this alot too. But I believe its called "sleep paralysis." It's very scary and it sounds like demons or the devil is whispering in your ear! ; (

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi lobster,

I have had sleep paralysis so similiar to what you are talking about... only I get it when I forget to take my anti deppressant. For some reason it is a side effect when I don't take my ssri. I agree with the above about lowering the dose. It can only lesson side effects for you.

Good luck !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

...I have been getting this "sleep paralysis" since I was 14. Im laying in my bed and just as Im about to fall asleep or just as Im waking up it happens: Im awake, my eyes open, but I cant move no matter how hard I try and my breathing gets heavy and I feel a very frightening presence in the room watching me. Sometimes I hear strange, scary whisper sounds in my ear. It feels as if Im in the presence of demons. Its so scary!! The only way I could relate it to opiate use is over the past few years, whenever I would run out of my pain pills and get sick, it would happen to me. But these episodes of "sleep paralysis" were scarier. I wasn't high at all. I would never get them when I was on my Oxycodone. When I was on my Oxy's I had happy, beautiful dreams. When I would run out and get dope sick..thats when I would get horrid nightmares of people trying to chainsaw my legs off or these scary episodes of "sleep paralysis." The last time I got it was a few months ago I was laying in bed burning hot, sweating and miserable (the last time I got dope sick before I went on Suboxone). I was awake but couldn't move and then I heard two voices conversing and one said "I want to hold her." This was the first time I was ever able to make out what these voices were saying! I HAVE NO IDEA what it is. Some say its demonic. But then science has its theories. All I know is its scary as hell..when you feel like your being watched by something you cant see, you are briefly paralyzed, hearing scary voices & whispers...and your dopesick on top of it. Its a miserable experience. And you cant tell people bc they dont beleive you or they think your crazy ; ( Luckily for me the people on this forum seem to be pretty open minded. I haven't gotten sleep paralysis ever since I've started Suboxone but due to problems w insurance, I haven't been able to get my prescription so I have been making my last prescription last & spreading it out. Bc of this, I have been in constant mild withdrawals or waking up in what feels like almost full blown withdrawals. And so I have been having disturbing, scary, violent nightmares EVERY night ; ( Im kinda miserable right now. These nightmares make me feel awful. I dont like waking up sweating hot from a horrible nightmare about someone trying to kill or torture my cat or my brother trying to kill me ; ( Its awful!!
I know that within the next few days though my insurance will finally come through & will finally get my prescription. So maybe I will just have to get through these minor withdrawals & horrible nightmares for the next few days.
Thnx for reading, and sorry for sounding so negative...but this is the reality for me right now. I suffer from nightmares alot. Well, just when I am getting into withdrawals. Atleast sleep paralysis had stopped ever since I got on the Subs =)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

...btw, I find that I get better, much more PEACEFUL sleep when I take more Suboxone. Although that might not be your case! Im just giving you my "case" so we can compare them and maybe come to some conclusions =) Everyone is different ofcourse but it helps to hear other people's experiences