It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My name is josh. Struggling with my life long addiction to all and any opiate.
After many failed attempts of sobriety lasting from weeks to months to my best at 2 years sober, I always relapse. I have tried cold turkey method, Thrown in jail and detoxed, I have Never tried methadone treatment and never tried Suboxone treatment. After realizing that my son's life and future is dependent upon my getting my shit together and being a productive money making citizen who puts there children first before drugs, I realized that I still had two options that I have never tried. Suboxone or methadone. I have chosen getting into a suboxone treatment for long term (life). I finally found a doctor who charges a decent price for a office visit. $85 dollars for first exam and $60 a month after that for check ups and to get a monthly refill. The cheapest price for the 2mg films of suboxone was $140 for 30 of them at rite aid. This is all I can afford. I hope that I can maintain on 2mg a day. If I do not feel the wd go away on 2mg I will just suffer through the wd for 3 days then the 2mg should keep me feeling well and not craving any dope or opiates. I hear of people taking the 8mg pills twice a day! how can you people afford that. It is well over 400 dollars a month just for that medicine plus your doctors visits. Does anyone here have any tips for me. I live in georgia and there are only 9 doctors in my area who are allowed to dispense Suboxone and none of them take insurance. And most of them charge ridiculous office visit prices. One lady said it cost 1200 dollars to get started and I told her that there is no way anyone can afford that and it should be a crime to charge that much. Other doctors were all charging in the 200-300 dollar range for the first visit. So I feel very lucky to have found a doctor who only charges 85 first visit and 60 a month for check ups.
I am worried about the process for getting approved. I read that you have to be at least 24 hours sober and in mild to moderate with drawls. I asked the nurse where my doctor appointment is and she said that the doctor does not do that, she says just bring identification and money. So that was strange. Does anyone know what else I have to have in order like as far as what drugs im on. Like i said i have a heavy abuse of opiates and I m worried they wont give me the suboxone for some reason like they might say oh your not a bad enough addict or something. Another thing is I have been taking xanax occasionally for anxiety and I hope that the doc will still get me on the suboxone. I know that there is increased risk of Slowed breathing and death when mixing opiates with benzo's. Does any one here have any advice as far as that goes. any one else in the same situation. So any and all tips as far as what criteria I should try to meet and what to say and not to say to the doctor would be helpfull also any tips on getting the medication cheaper..
thanks and good luck to every one out there who has had precious time taken from them because of the use and abuse of these powerfull substances.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi JustDoIt,

Well, you have made the first step in your recovery by deciding to try suboxone. You raised many questions in your post and I will try to answer them for you. First off, you mentioned you were worried the doctor would tell you that you weren't a bad enough addict and also mentioned you were afraid the 2mg wouldn't hold your cravings. It would be much easier to address both of these issues if you told us how much you were taking per day. I am a little doubtful that 2mg will hold you craving free if you have much of an opiate tolerance. It may take away your physical symptoms though...it really depends on your level of tolerance to opiates and how your body reacts to the suboxone. I would say that most people on here take at least 8mg per day for maintenance. That is what I take, and I wouldn't say that I am craving free at all. My physical withdrawal symptoms are great which is the worst part for me. However I have only been taking subs for about 2 weeks so I am hoping the cravings will become less as I stay on treatment. I don't know if the doctor will turn you away based on severity of addiction, every doctor is different with how they run their treatment program, but I read somebody on this board was taking suboxone after using only 10-20 mgs of hydrocodone per day. That is a very small habit for an addict so I guess there are doctors out there that will do it.

As for the cost of treatment. I was very lucky to find a family practice doctor that has a suboxone program. The way he files it I only pay my $15 co-pay at each visit and with the coupon you can print on suboxone.com my medication is FREE for a months supply. I don't think this is typical, I know alot of people pay cash for their treatment either because they don't have insurance or the doctor does not accept insurance. But I have heard it said on here several times, think about what you would have done to get your pills if you were out. It doesn't take much of a habit at all to run into $400 per month...I know I spent that and more every month on my habit. You might call the pharmacy and ask them if they know of any doctors that prescribe suboxone that are a family doctor or general practice doctor. Sometimes they will not advertise it...word of mouth only, that is how mine is.

As for your doctor not making you be in mild to moderate withdrawal before you start your meds.....this is absolutely necessary! I don't know if I would trust any doctor who did not adhere to this rule. If you take suboxone before you are in withdrawal you will go into precipitated withdrawal...I have never had that happen but I hear it is not pretty. I have heard it explained that it is like the worst withdrawal ever felt times 10. Do a search on this board on precipitated withdrawals and look through some of the posts, I'm sure you will see why it is necessary to avoid this at all costs! I didn't quite understand when you mentioned the xanax if you were planning on still taking it with the suboxone or if you were worried it would be a problem just because you have been taking it before. I was on xanax up until my induction on suboxone. It will not cause you any problems as far as getting on the program, but you will not be able to continue to take it with the subs. It is contraindicated as you mentioned because both drugs are respiratory depressants. If you take them together you make go to sleep and not wake up....not worth the risk. Plus you may find that the suboxone helps your anxiety issues as well. Are you addicted to the xanax too? If so maybe the doctor can help you with this issue...just be honest with him/her about all of your drug history. They have probably heard it all and I'm sure nothing you can say is going to be a shock to them. Remember they are treating addicts...we all have the same issues, just maybe different DOC (drug of choice).

Okay, maybe this will get you started. I'm sure you will have other replies with more great information. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey justdoit,  i think 8 mg and 2 mg suboxone are around the same price.  Pretty ridiculous but i have read that on here.  I would suggest taking more than 2 mg per day to start.  This is due to the ceiling level.  I will post a link so you can read about it.  8 mg per day is pretty average.  Thats where i was for my first 2.5  years anyway.  As for xanax, different doctors have different views, do you take it every day and do you have a prescription for it?

I also had insurance cover my sub doctor and script but a lot of doctors are cash only too, kind of weird... 

Link to ceiling level article:
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/ceilings/

Good luck,
Glen b

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Great move for suggesting sub as a choice. I sent you a PM. Welcome and if you need anything just ask there is alot of helpful people in the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As glen bee said, the 8mg and 2mg Suboxone are the same price. I know that seems ridiculous...I don't know why they would charge the same price. So even if I was taking only 2mg/day, I would get the 8mg strips (or pills) and just cut them in quarters and get four 2mg doses for the price of one. And make sure you print out the $50 off card on the suboxone.com website. If you cannot afford a full month at once, my Rite Aid lets me get half when I bring in the Rx and then half of the prescription 2 weeks later after I get my next paycheck. Yours will probably let you do this as well.

You are very lucky that you found such a cheap doctor. That is the cheapest I have ever heard of for the first induction appt. Mine charged $500 and $100 for monthly visits.

You do have to be in mild to moderate withdrawal, but I don't think you need to wait quite 24 hours. If you are taking hydrodone, which is what I was taking, that is a short-acting med, and is out of your system pretty quickly. My doctor told me I only had to wait 12 hours after my last pill, but I waited 17 hours just to be sure I didn't go into pw and I was fine. I have been in worse wd just waiting for my dealer to get more pills many times. So the withdrawals you have to be in are not that bad. Everyone is different though, so just google the COWS scale and go by that. I think I was at about 19 on the COWS scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You can take Xanax with Subs without any problems.. some doctors dont like to do it because there is some risk if you take too much but you can do it, its not gonna hurt you as long as you take as prescribed. Really just depends on the doctor. I just had to put that out there because I read the post before me saying you could not take them together or it would kill you, I just wanted to make sure you got the correct information. Good Luck with everything though and stick around, even if just to read the forum.. it really helps and is very informative.

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Taurus wrote:
I have been in worse wd just waiting for my dealer to get more pills many times.

VERY true taurus. Although this time I got on suboxone without being in any withdrawals, after getting out of detox.

Xanax is a tricky issue. I can only speak for myself when I say that I cannot personally do it. I am an alcoholic and a drug addict to any and all drugs that exist. I have tried and failed miserably multiple of times when I said that "I was going to take it as prescribed" This time I'm not even going to lie to myself because I know I cannot control benzo intake, the subs dont help with benzo cravings so I kno I'll start overdoing it and its onlya matter of time before I go into eternal sleep :( MYy 12 mg dose I find helps with anxiety kind of~~

good luck, and congrats for taking this first step Josh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

sodone wrote:
You can take Xanax with Subs without any problems.. some doctors dont like to do it because there is some risk if you take too much but you can do it, its not gonna hurt you as long as you take as prescribed. Really just depends on the doctor. I just had to put that out there because I read the post before me saying you could not take them together or it would kill you, I just wanted to make sure you got the correct information. Good Luck with everything though and stick around, even if just to read the forum.. it really helps and is very informative.

I'm sorry if I gave info that wasn't correct. I was just going by what my doctor said and some things I have read here and other places about xanax and suboxone together. Just be very careful, as dopeless hopefiend mentioned as addicts we tend to not be able to control our intake of these kind of things. The suboxone can definately add another element of concern when mixed with xanax. As always just use your own judgement.

Thank you to those that pointed out my mistake, I don't want to give anyone wrong information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Best of luck to you!. i just wanted to add i am on subs and ativan (benzos) with my sub doc. I think this is a case by case basis. I have panic disorder and the subs made my anxiety skyrocketed and at first stopped taking any benzo. so my doc agreed to let me stay on the ativan because 1. i never abused benzos, and it was helpful in me staying on sub. It is contraindicated but in low doses he said it would be just fine. So depending on your doc and situation you may be able to continue the xanax. welcome and i hope all the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the biggest danger is if benzos are ABUSED especially with, like Alcohol in the mix it gets very dangerous with suboxone. Worst case if someone is abusing all 3. Aka not a sub patient.

I think if u are tolerant to benzos already, responsible and prescribed etc... It is doable

Dr. J had a post once about it on here. Dont quote me

I am also one that cant touch benzos either, i had to wean off of them under a doctors care after years of being addicted to them.