It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi all, I'm having a serious problem that i have no clue how to handle. Bcbs of Michigan stopped covering suboxone, i had to get amneal generic. It's awful, it's like I'm not taking anything at all i can barely work. Some might say that it's all in my head, no its not because i had it in my head that it would be no different as i buy generic any time i can. I even tried to up my dose, no difference. If any one can give any ideas i would be so grateful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 pm 

That is really a weird one PM'y. I Googled it and found the product information. They call it AN 415 Pill. It looks just like the orange tablets I started on way back in 2010.

Report it to the pharmacist. I can't think of anything else except for you to call BCBS and ask for an exception. That's the first thing you should do. I have BCBS but at the Federal level and they haven't told me anything yet. I've always expected to be put on the generics as soon as they're available but it hasn't happened yet.

Anyone else not getting relief from this new Bup 8/2 tab?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey rule! 2010? They just came out with this generic in 2014? It's bad. I took a higher dose than normal and had problems last night. Now I'm having stomach issues. I googled it, a lot of other people are having the same problems

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Find out what your actual costs for Zubsolv, Generic Subutex (Plain BUP) and Suboxone are. Then ask your doctor if they would consider a change. Don't expect them to know or be willing to find out this information for you. There are dozens of pharmacy benefit companies all presenting moving targets. Prior authorization is becoming a greater and greater burden and at the last meeting I attended several practices are considering surrendering and not doing them any more. Could be idle threats but who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:53 am 

Pugmommy, what I meant was the Suboxone tabs looked just the same back in '10 but with different markings. Yes, it is a new generic.

Docm, the insurance companies are doing this a lot. I was put on testosterone gel in '12 because of a low count on my blood test. Now they want another blood test to see if I still need it. So two weeks w/o it and then wait for approval. What a joke. A few years ago it was a different med.

r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have caremark & they won't pay for the films. I am on zubsolv now and find it weaker. Last year same thing happened but my doctor called my insurance. Going to have to ask him to do it again this year.

When i went to the pharmacy and they told me no films they gave me the option of generic bup or zub, they said it was interchangeable and didn't have to have the doctor write a new script. Maybe that's only in NY but wanted to mention it.

My insurance will charge a higher copay if it's not a "preferred drug". A few phone calls may solve your problem.

In 2014 after the doctor called my copay was $100 for sub films but i had the $50 discount card so i paid $50. This year my copay for zub was $22.

I believe it's not in your head because i had issues last year with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Be sure to ask your doc, or check the product web site, for copay cards for zubsolv and other brand buprenorphine products. You may get it for zero copay.

The most certain way to know if there are problems would be to have your blood levels of buprenorphine checked. I don't know what it would cost, but you could probably find out by calling an independent lab (or the lab at your local hospital).

The big issue with buprenorphine is 'bioavailability'. People absorb, on average, 25% of a dose of Suboxone film. They absorb a third of the bupe in Zubsolv, and half of the bupe in Bunavail. The generic products don't have bioavailability data available, so you may not be absorbing enough buprenorphine.

I have a piece on by blog about increasing absorption of buprenorphine- google it and you'll find it. You can also probably increase absorption by holding the dose between your tongue and cheek for 10 minutes (after it is dissolved). Don't know if that is a practical solution though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you all for responding. And holy crap suboxdoc replied to me! He is a celebrity in my eyes, love the you tube videos. I did read the absorption article, the fillers they put in amneal generic is rediculous, that stuff will never break down.