It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello everyone,

So glad I found a site purely about this stuff. Good job founder.
Anyways, I started about 3 months ago taking percocet 5mg maybe twice every 2 days or so (yeah i know not alot).
About a month and a half later I found roxicodone to be a drug of choice... so for the past 2 months I was taking probably 30mg a day on avg. It's alot for me.
Also I was diagnosed 7 years ago with anxiety/panic disorder and have been on klonopin 1mg 3 times daily.
I decided that the roxi was just to much for me and felt like I just didn't need it anymore and just stopped.
Big mistake, 24 hours later, chills, aches (bad), weakness, no energy etc...
So went to doc and got on Suboxone..... WOW what a life saver.
Starting at 2mg a day... I guess since I didn't take much to begin with.

However, the doctor was in such a rush as was I that after he wrote the prescription along with my refill of klonopin nothing was brought up about the klonopin on when I should take it... as in at least (this many hours) after taking the sub.
I searched the forum before hand and found a couple of posts about it but couldn't find anything specific and perhaps since I have been on it so long maybe that's why he didn't bring it up? I don't know, so I thought I would ask you guys... I did call the pharmacist and poison/nurse hotlines and they all said I should be fine as long as I don't take them at the same time and to wait a few hours after taking the sub.

Besides that, again thank you for this site and I look forward to my progress and to support others.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi immortal and welcome to the forum. As long as you don't abuse the klonopin you should be fine. And your sub doctor knows about it, right? So it shouldn't be a problem. Yes, they are both respiratory depressants, but just take care when taking them both.

So you've only been addicted to pain pills for 3 months, is that correct? To be honest, I'm surprised the doctor put you on Suboxone. But that said, it's not so much the length of your addiction as it is how bad that addiction is. How long do you plan on staying on it? (Just curious.) Are you just using it to detox, so to speak, off the pain pills or will you stay on it for awhile?

Glad you found the forum. I know you'll be pleased with the information and support you'll find here.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Hatmaker,

Thank you for the... really quick reply, i like it here already ;).
To your questions:
They are both prescribed by my primary doctor... I've been seeing him for a long time and I trust him.
Yes I have only been on pain meds for 3 months and a month of that really wasn't that much.
Why was I put on Sub? I am very prone to dependency for some strange reason... my doc said it's probably the klonopin or anxiety/stress or whatever.
My plan is to take it whenever I feel like I'm starting to get w/d's again, so pretty rapid I suppose.
The 2mg worked with no problem, and honestly probably 1mg probably would have worked in which I'm going to try next time.
I am using it to just detox... so hoping a week tops until the ache's and what not are tolerable. (Imodium when need so I hear)... the aches were the worst part for me.

I am also glad I found this forum, and am already pleased :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sure sounds like a drastic move. I would think you could simply taper off.

Post subject: Hey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm not that surprised you were put on Sub. I'm just not sure if you absolutely should have been or not. Only you and your doctor know that.

Here's the thing. Suboxone is not at all necessarily easy to get off of. If you take it for a substantial period of time, it becomes quite a feat to get off, and you MUST taper slowly or you will likely relapse. You are at a big crossroads in your life with this. You have to address the issues that were causing you to take the opiates in the first place. I know you said you have panic disorder, but you've been on meds for that for seven years and on opiates for only three months, so was your panic disorder not controlled? This is important because even if you taper off the Sub, unless you've made significant progress in that area, those things will start to bug you again and then what will you do? Will you go back to the roxicodone? I'm just going by what you wrote, but I do see some big flags that tell me you do have addictive tendencies, and that really may be one main reason you started taking the roxicodone. Were you put on the Roxy meds for pain or surgery or did you just start to take them to feel better emotionally? That's also pretty important. I'd hope for you that you could taper off of Sub quickly enough that it would be comfortable but not so quickly that you create more anxiety for yourself. And please, please try to taper to a small amount. I don't know how it works with people on Sub for such a short time, but typically to discontinue Suboxone comfortably, people wean to very small amounts, as in under 200 micrograms. 1 2-mg Sub tablet is 2000 micrograms. For someone on pain meds for so short a period, maybe you don't have to wean as low. Can anyone answer this? I wouldn't think that someone on pain meds for such a short time wouldn't need to stay on Sub a long time, but once again, if you don't have a plan for how to handle your emotions and anxiety to where you don't want to start regular opiates again, then I'd be afraid this cycle would repeat itself.

As far as the Klonopin, I was given that too but for epilepsy. I was on the exact same dose as you as well. 1 mg 3 X a day. The doctor who started my Suboxone also started my Klonopin and I was never told it was dangerous to take them together or to take them at different times. I found that stuff out for myself on here! The Klonopin was too heavy for me, since I have anxiety but not badly, so I switched off it to another seizure med that my neurologist gave me and weaned way down on the Klon. I'm taking .5 mg right now. I'm curious what your plans are as far as that goes. I'm pretty sure 3 mg is a fairly substantial dose, and I don't entirely get the point/long-term plan for Benzos. Over time, the same dose doesn't work as well, so theoretically if you have panic disorder, wouldn't you have to keep increasing your dose? I know when I started my Klon regiment, I was literally unable to do anything because I was so drugged. Then, it got better because I adjusted. If I had significant anxiety, I'm assuming it would have returned and I would have had to increase my dose or something. I'm not sure. I understand taking Benzos here and there for panic attacks, but isn't it not the best idea when used every single day? Just my thoughts. I'm in the same boat as you, as I'm on both Sub and Klon. I think you should try to space your doses of Klon, perhaps every 8 hours. Then, take your Sub in between Klon doses. So, if you take your Klon at 8 a.m., then take 1 mg of Sub at noon. Then your next dose of Klon would be at 4 p.m. And your next Sub dose would be at 10. Sometimes it helps to have a schedule. All that said, I was on 32 mg of Sub and 3 mg of Klon at the same exact time and never worried about spacing them out. I regularly forgot to take both and then would have to catch up at the end of the day with big fat doses. Nothing ever happened to me. However, I would never encourage anyone to play with something that can be so serious. I'm curious to ask you about how the Klonopin makes you feel. Don't you feel quite terrible when you take it in the early part of the day? Doesn't it make you really sleepy or at least a little bit sleepy?

Good luck!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry I forgot to post why I was put on percocet (first). 5mg with whatever amount of tylenol I'm wanting to say 325mg.
Anyways it was perscribed to me for a bad case of TMJ. I'm not going to lie it worked but I didn't really take it that much because I think and my doctor thinks was the tylenol combination with oxycodone not agreeing with me.
So he put me on 7.5 roxicodone (no tylenol) and also not sure why the dosage was upped, I might have told him it started hurting worse or something.
I took that for 2 months like I said around 25-30mg a day if that some days.
Then I went to an ENT for the TMJ and got a steroid shot which amazingly cleared it right up.
That's when I ran out of and wanted to stop anyways because the steroid shot worked.
So I went a day and a half w/o them and then started feeling the common w/d's.
Went to my doc and go put on sub, which I am thankful for because it worked.

So there you go, my story... short and not alot of opiate use but everbody is different.

As for the klonopin:
I've had panic disorder for 7 years and have tried all anti-dep's and anti-anx's and found klonopin was the best for me because it didn't make me feel like a zombie like the others.
My tolerance stays pretty much the same because I have learned to cope and handle it without needing to take one... but there are still alot of times where I still need to take one.
They do not make me tired, just relaxed, and calm.

Like I said above, everybody is different.