It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had my appointment today and decided on honesty being the best policy. I took some of the excellent advice I was given and told her I hadn't gone and although I would go, I really didn't WANT to go. Her first response was that it was required and I reiterated I knew and I would go......BUT....if I could do things MY way, I would make plans to do other things such as learn more about meditation, or participate in something (i.e. this) online), or exercise, or volunteer work, focus on my health, etc.

You should have seen the way her face lit up! She thought that was a WONDERFUL idea. She said as long as I stayed clean and I stuck with the program she thought this was PERFECT for me. She looks forward to hearing what program I put together when I see her next month and my progress on it. I am sure you all will be hearing about it :roll: :lol:

I LOVE this doctor. I NEVER could have been this honest with my last doctor and he never would have genuinely SMILED about anything unrelated to himself. He NEVER would have been willing to listen to my ideas. I have to say thank you for the WONDERFUL advice and ideas and for all of the responses I had received when I posed my little predicament.

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yay! I'm so happy things worked out for you. I loved my personalized recovery program. One thing I did was think about what my triggers for using were (pain, stress, etc.) and then designed my recovery activities to address those issues. So for a while one of my activites included soaking in the hot tub at the gym :D

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea YOU, Cherie!
I'm so glad it worked out that way. And I'm thrilled you found a doctor that suits you and even more important - is reasonable! Instead of just saying you didn't want to do it, you gave her alternatives and obviously it went far in solving your problem. That's so great - be proud of yourself for handling it so well.

Take care,

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 pm 
Yea for you Cherie! I'm glad you were able to just be honest with this doctor and tell her how you really felt and what activities you would prefer in place of NA meetings. It sounds like things couldn't have gone any better for you. That's so great! I agree with what DOQ has said about utilizing other recovery-based activities that are more catered to your particular needs. After getting out of my Nursing Boards required activities for recovery, I've been able to gear my recovery plan to what I need and feel is important so much better. In doing things that way, I feel I've been able to make progress in my recovery much faster than I was before. I am currently focusing on my physical health by eating mostly organic foods, minimal red meat, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, minimal processed foods, supplementing with vitamins, etc. I've been working out, seriously working out as an outlet for stress and as a curative move toward healing the damage that opiate abuse did to my mind and body. I've gotten back to working on my spiritual life by rebuilding my relationship with my higher power whom I call God and by getting back into fellowship with my church. I work on making amends to those in my life who my addiction hurt in any way. And I spend a little time each day working on my relapse prevention plan should the day ever come when I feel ready to try life without Suboxone. I spend time each day thinking about what my triggers to use are and like DOQ, one is pain......and again, like DOQ, the hot tub is one of my recovery-based activies!! Sounds maybe kinda lame, but it really isn't. These are all things, behaviours that we need to have in place to be healthy and stay out of active addiction. I also seek to learn/read all I can about the disease of addiction.
So definitely there are many avenues to try when the goal is seeking good recovery habits.....much more is helpful than just attending some number of arbitrary meetings each week.
Good for you Cherie for coming up with a good plan. Glad your doctor approved!